No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiz would do it wearing a meat necklace. But a classy one.

Comment

• ...and yer point?
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm wondering if there's any amount the Government shouldn't spend to save a life.

Silly Talent...it was the russians dammit!
        Dude, get in line. The Rs are awful. Please post exactly how awful or don't post at all.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• My point stabds, this is what the elections are for, revoking health insurance. The vote is today, they don't have a CBO score. You said that wouldn't happen. I know it probably doesn't affect you.

The Democratic Party is in the dumps, no shit. But all of this legislators will be fine, they'll find jobs, they will have health insurance.

I truly don't give a shit about these post mortems. I don't think they are very predictive for the next election or elections. They certainly weren't in 2004, 2008, 2012, erc.. Most of the time the exact opposite of the conventional wisdom prevailed.

Nobody has written a post mortem that proves they have learned the lesson of Trump and the 2016 election. Just lie. Tell bald faced lies and a lot of them, it doesn't hurt you. The congressional GOP is catching on, just lie through your teeth like they are on this bill. There is no penalty, tell people what they want to hear and shit can any attempt at earnestness.

Comment

• I think that "cultural genocide" debate is a reflection of the fact that there's a society in which people's basic needs are taken care of. They can afford to stake out all manner of ridiculous positions on things like that. It's a mark of economic development. Dunno about you, but if that's what you have to put up with in order to have a society in which people don't die because they can't afford the artifially inflated cost of health care, I'll take it.

Comment

• Well, Froot, I'm still wondering if there's any amount that is too much for government to spend to save a life.

Speaking of lies, given the big Bret Stephens bruhaha over at the NYT, I think I'll go back and revisit various prog opinions about how we are currently well past the point of no return on Global Warning. Or maybe read up on how the cops shot that nice kid in St. Louis with his hands up. Or maybe read up on college campuses are extremely dangerous for women. Boy, I gots lots of reading to do -- and on a day when my sole focus should be how awful the Rs are! (like every other day).

Comment

• I think that "cultural genocide" debate is a reflection of the fact that there's a society in which people's basic needs are taken care of. They can afford to stake out all manner of ridiculous positions on things like that. It's a mark of economic development. Dunno about you, but if that's what you have to put up with in order to have a society in which people don't die because they can't afford the artifially inflated cost of health care, I'll take it.
                Well, if that type of debate reflects that fact, then the US is well-ahead of Canada. Do you want me to post 100 links? Happy to do it. But, I've been advised no one cares.

Comment

• Nobody has written a post mortem that proves they have learned the lesson of Trump and the 2016 election. Just lie. Tell bald faced lies and a lot of them, it doesn't hurt you.

I wish it was that simple. You think Hillary was any more genuine or less liarly than Trump? I don't. I think she sucks at it. I think the public was ready for a new way to be decieved. Too sick of the devil you know, and ready for a different devil.

The DNC has to learn to lie in a different way. People who want to represent all Americans, rather than just the highest bidders, need to recognize that this is how the game is played now.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Well, Froot, I'm still wondering if there's any amount that is too much for government to spend to save a life.
                    So you are a yes on this latest version of the bill?

Comment

• You said that wouldn't happen.
                      BTW, I'm fairly certain I said "Repeal and Replace" wouldn't get past the Senate. Happy to own that error if and when it becomes an error. I'm fairly certain I never opined about the House.

On these matters, I find quotes helpful. It's an ironic little throwaway line, too, in light of what comes later in your screed.
                      Last edited by iam416; May 4, 2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• So you are a yes on this latest version of the bill?
                        I haven't seen the latest version of the bill. I'm still wondering if the Ds thinking the Government should ever put a cap on spending to save a life. Probably not.

Comment

Well, if that type of debate reflects that fact, then the US is well-ahead of Canada. Do you want me to post 100 links? Happy to do it. But, I've been advised no one cares.

I get that you hate the tone of the left, but yours is just an overreaction to their overreaction. Canadians have our silly little debates about this stuff, yes. Some of us look south of the border for an example, which is why we have a few little mini-Trumps vying for leadership on the right. Thankfully one just bowed out, and the other has no shot. Major risks to Trudeau getting another term are generally expected to come from Trump. He could screw over the whole continent on trade on Trudeau's watch, or he could pull an Erdogan and shunt off immigrants onto Canada like Turkey did to Europe.

We do not have silly little debates about things like health care, or immigration. We still have an intact political process. But being next to the US in the Trump Era is going to come with challenges to the level of purity there.

But the bottom line, apart from rhetoric in this thread, is that Canada is a place that is indeed far ahead in terms of its citizens' ability to elect governments that work for the entire country. That's why we don't have fundamental questions about identity and core processes continually on the table, and why everyone's basic needs are met.

Comment

I haven't seen the latest version of the bill. I'm still wondering if the Ds thinking the Government should ever put a cap on spending to save a life. Probably not.
                            The vote is happening today. We're you for the first version back in March?

As far as the funding, it's a little disingenuous. The bill isn't about increasing funding, it is slashing funding. Have you grown concerned about how much the government paid for a life since you were previously concerned with imaginary death panels. That's kind of a 180.

Comment

This is the downside of American exceptionalism. Nobody else in any other country has to ask themselves this question about their own system. Everybody understands how to balance competing interests. Americans aren't prone to do so, but it wouldn't be that hard to take a look around, see how countries strike the right balance, and come up with the right mix here. Or an imperfect balance of interests that can be improved over time.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                This is the downside of American exceptionalism. Nobody else in any other country has to ask themselves this question about their own system. Everybody understands how to balance competing interests. Americans aren't prone to do so, but it wouldn't be that hard to take a look around, see how countries strike the right balance, and come up with the right mix here. Or an imperfect balance of interests that can be improved over time.
                                IDK if its exceptionalism, or just the inevitable result of our political bipolarity....ying and yang locked in their unending dance. Most other democracies have multiple parties with enough weight that their input is required to pass legislation, and thus it requires governing to get things done.

Comment

Working...
                                X