Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fat fifty and flexing is no way to be practicing karate on the beach son

didn't know rainbows elicited feelings in some folks like confederate flag would

does he refuse all rainbows or only gay rainbows
    Last edited by crashcourse; December 6, 2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• 90% of bakers in America are gay?

Comment

• Crash, ignore Kapture and listen to Talent.

I was not in debate Hoss, but have found the folks that were learned very valuable critical thinking skills. I would wholeheartedly support someone I love doing debate. (And if he fits easily in a locker all the better! That way it won't hurt as bad.)
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Talent,
          I don't think the record establishes that the baker had an issue with the decorations, and I would think that would undermine his argument that it was an expressive act if he was simply making what someone told him. In that case, the expressive act would be done by the person expressing themselves.

I think he argued that making ANY custom cake for a gay wedding is an expressive act. This he could not be compelled to make the same exact cake he makes for straight couples for gay couples. (I think this also is an area where the confederate flag analogy falls apart.)
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Crash, ignore Kapture and listen to Talent.

I'm not sure anything dumber has ever been said on the internet since Marty was around...
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The HBO documentary "The Newspaperman" on the WaPo's famous/infamous Ben Bradlee is worthwhile.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• didn't know rainbows elicited feelings in some folks like confederate flag would
                Well, it's contextual. When the Supreme Court held for gay marriage, the White House changed its spotlights to make a nice rainbow across the facade. It surely meant something.

I read the transcripts -- very interesting. You should do the same.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think he argued that making ANY custom cake for a gay wedding is an expressive act. This he could not be compelled to make the same exact cake he makes for straight couples for gay couples. (I think this also is an area where the confederate flag analogy falls apart.)
                  First, he would sell a host of different cakes to gay folks including off-the-shelf cakes for gay weddings. This is sort of where the whole "anti-gay" thing falls apart. Not sort of.

Second, he wouldn't sell a "pro-gay marriage" cake to a heterosexual couple either. If Bob and Suzy wanted him to write "Yay, Gay Marraige!" on their cake then he would have refused.

I don't think there's any question as to whether the government can compel speech. I just don't. I don't think you disagree with that at all. The question, really, is whether there is speech sufficient to trigger that doctrine. That's the part of the argument I found compelling and fascinating because 6 or 7 of the justices were trying to figure out how to draw the line. And, IMO, the baker side did a nice job of articulating a workable standard.

I also think the respondents are totally unsympathetic dicks. They knew exactly what they were doing with their PC McCarthyism. And I think it's clear the State is openly hostile to religion.

I tend to think it's at least 6-3 in favor the Baker in some form.

Comment

• I don't like any of the parties in the gay cake case.

The "christian" bakers are ridiculous. Teleporting back to 1950 and refusing to make a "homo" cake because jebus doesn't like effeminate confections, and the gay couple who had the option of 17 other area bakeries but, by god, were going to make this a federal case instead of the more appropriate bad Yelp review and social media outrage posts.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                      I played football, baseball, and wrestled. Didn't have time for that nerd stuff.

:::flexes in the mirror; runs off to practice karate on the beach:::
                      ...so you're the guy who beat up Daniel Larusso...
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I would have never fallen for a front snap kick out of a ridiculous crane stance.

Comment

• ...yes but I could sweep your leg faster than you could say "I love The gay Bear"...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Nancy Pelosi called the proposed tax bill the "worst bill in the history of Congress." Personally, I think the Fugitive Slave Act is probably worse. Maybe the god-awful Alien and Sedition Acts. But, hey, tax cuts are probably worse.

Comment

• The Nick practicing his crane stance...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                I don't like any of the parties in the gay cake case.

The "christian" bakers are ridiculous. Teleporting back to 1950 and refusing to make a "homo" cake because jebus doesn't like effeminate confections, and the gay couple who had the option of 17 other area bakeries but, by god, were going to make this a federal case instead of the more appropriate bad Yelp review and social media outrage posts.
                                they specifically targeted this one because they knew he would refuse.

Another point to make, unrelated to the main issue here, this even happened BEFORE Colorado recognized same sex marriages. The couple wants this baker to recognize their marriage when the state of Colorado didn't lol

Comment

Working...
                                X