No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, I couldn't have told you who the fuck Kate Smith even was before all this. I'm sure AA had the entire Time-Life Kate Smith Collection as a wee babe, however, and enjoyed many a night alone with Kate, his Victrola, and the stars.

Comment

• Yelling "Nazi" at him is stupid but "war criminal"...? Not inaccurate
      LOL. Well, lemme put it this way, then, it's motherfucking stupid as fuck to call him a war criminal wearing a Che t-shirt, quoting Mao or supporting, in any fucking way, Ho Chi Minh.

But, importantly, he was silenced. Another win for Dr. Strangelove.

Also, I couldn't have told you who the fuck Kate Smith even was before all this
      99% of the people at the game couldn't. None of them knew her discography. None of them were offended. And, yet,...ANOTHER win for Dr. Strangelove.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Looks like doomsayers over-reacted ......... news coming from India and Japan indicate they will stop buying oil from Iran. Both countries count only about 3% of their total oil imports come from Iran. Indian Oil Minster says they had been planning for stopping importation of Iranian oil. Several analysts have also come out stating that they do not expect Trump's recent stoppage of waivers for some countries buying oil from Iran will change the underlying fundamental pricing of oil at between $70-$75/brl.

Also, threats to close the Straight's of Hormuz have been made before by Iran. The latest was in January 2012 when spokesman for the Iranian Navy said during rising tensions with the US that if Iran's security were threatened it would close the Straights of Hormuz to shipping. Tensions rose after the Iranian Parliament tried to pass legislation that would require foreign flagged ships to request permission to pass through the straights. The legislation faced legal challenges and was never brought for a vote. That didn't stop the US from sending 3 carrier battle groups to the Persian Gulf in a show of force.

You may remember news in December, 2018 that the Commander of the US Navy's 5th Fleet killed himself in his quarters. The 5th Fifth fleet has responsibility for keeping the sea lanes open in and around the Persian Gulf, including the Straights of Hormuz. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was doubtful the US could mount a credible naval show of force in response to the recent Iranian threat. That may or may not be accurate. Still, you may also recall that in 2017, two serious incidents involving collisions of US 7th Fleet, Arleigh Burke class destroyers with large freighters occurred in and around Japan and Singapore.

I just read a transcript of an NPR Fresh Air segment where the author of a recent expose on these two collisions detailed the causes and the public disclosure of the subsequent Naval Investigations of the two incidents that resulted in the drowning deaths of some 30 sailors. While the Navy punished a bunch of uniformed people, they also, not quite as publicly, took steps to address significant shortfalls in manning levels and ship readiness revealed when all was said and done investigating these two collisions. Not going into details here but the 2 ships involved in these collisions independently but demonstrating strong similarities between them that both were equipped with systems and manned by personnel that were not combat ready - stuff didn't work, if it was fixed, it was bubble-gum and bailing wire repaired and both officers and enlisted weren't properly trained in the equipment that they were assigned to operate. There were also significant manning short falls with ships sailing at under 75% of required manpower (military jargon for properly manned equipped and trained).

The point here is that even though the USN floats some very technically impressive ships, whether they are able to actually optimize these capabilities in a meaningful way is questionable. I would be concerned about actually having to demonstrate a credible use of force v. the Iranian navy if the Iranians chose to test these capabilities. If you're going to sail Naval Battle Groups into the Persian Gulf, as has been done before as a show of force, the Navy damn well better be able to deliver a quick, decisive and serious blow to any actual Iranian naval threat ........ and then remember who is going to be giving the orders for US forces in the Gulf should such a hot engagement actually occur. Should be a scary thought.

At some point today, I'll write a little more about my personal experience with operational readiness of two squadrons I was assigned to, one that I commanded.
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 23, 2019, 08:36 AM.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

LOL. Well, lemme put it this way, then, it's motherfucking stupid as fuck to call him a war criminal wearing a Che t-shirt, quoting Mao or supporting, in any fucking way, Ho Chi Minh.

But, importantly, he was silenced. Another win for Dr. Strangelove.

99% of the people at the game couldn't. None of them knew her discography. None of them were offended. And, yet,...ANOTHER win for Dr. Strangelove.
          Haha, well I'll concede bad look shrieking 'war criminal' while wearing tshirts with communist war criminals

Comment

• not so fast, Lincoln said the N word. Also briefly supported sending all the blacks back to Africa.

Comment

• I wanted to be a dinosaur when I was 3. Thank God my parents didn't engage in child abuse so they could brag about woke they are

the degenerate left

B2xbXwfrU0s95WzWg2obi4s4lG-zzrV78hR6H2uDDnQ.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=633b35681aa6a14dfad97b2540c8b20f0741a36b.png

Comment

• Jeb Bush's "Please Clap" makes a 2019 appearance

Comment

• Her staff got extra beatings that night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Also, I couldn't have told you who the fuck Kate Smith even was before all this. I'm sure AA had the entire Time-Life Kate Smith Collection as a wee babe, however, and enjoyed many a night alone with Kate, his Victrola, and the stars.
                    Kate and I (or Katie, as I called her) dated for a while. The age difference was just too great. Never gonna date a woman that young again. Went back to Queen Vickie until that dark day in January, nineteen-aught-one. . May my little primrose rest in peace.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• b6du30zjf0u21.jpg

Comment

• oolbdstosyt21.jpg

Comment

• I happen to have this volume in my library. You being Vicki's former colonial boy-toy, would you autograph my copy? I especially liked the chapter covering your dalliance during the Crimean War.

vicki.jpg
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Ahh, the Crimean. Another hot little number there by the name of Flo Nightingale.

Kidding aside. Would love that book. I will give you a 'Whip Inflation Now' campaign button and two Billy beers for it.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• My name is Ghengis Jon and I am a bookaholic.

help me.jpg
                              Last edited by Ghengis Jon; April 23, 2019, 10:59 AM.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• That's your library or are you pulling my leg?

Comment

Working...
                                X