No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are two responses to the question of whether or not the WTO is a useful organization in resolving trade disputes. Admittedly, there are a lot of perpetuated myths about the ineffectiveness of the WTO. It has promise for trade dispute resolution and deserves tinkering with it to get where it needs to be to deal with China...... but it's not there yet and the central issue that I'd hang my hat on is that the adjudication process, as I understand and have read about it, is impaired by how differently trading entities, not just China, interpret a specific trade circumstance in dispute, view a ruling from the WTO judges and most importantly, following a ruling that requires action by the offending party, actually complying with that ruling.

A case in point is what seems to be the stumbling block in recent extramural negotiations between China and the US. How will China comply with the agreements that were reached? There were two different methods to insure Chinese compliance with those agreements, one was the US position requiring China to codify the process of complying, the other, China's, was to issue general guidance for compliance from China's governing bodies. Two very different approaches, apparently the later being a culturally acceptable method, a handshake between two honest parties, so to speak, to the Chinese that was not acceptable to the US side.

The same kind of problems of wide ranging interpretation of circumstances in dispute, what a ruling means and how offending parties are to comply with said rulings exist in the wider context of all trade disputes that come before the WTO . Most experts I read who have something to say about this is that the WTO remains a useful international body ...... if some of this adjudication and enforcement process can be improved. To date, that hasn't happened. I don't think a lot of people deep-dig enough to understand this beyond the 30 second sound bite we might here about the WTO working or not working.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Entropy routinely argued that nothing would ever change if we didn't vote for a third party and his third party was, and presumably still is, the Libertarians. As with any good piece of saracasm, it overlays the truth. And thank you for your kind words. I may still yet alter my opinion of the Conquered People.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Talent...lol...any expertise on whether the census needs to be conducted in 2020?
            The only areas of knowledge that I even arguably have bare proficiency are The Wire, The Big Lebowski, early Simpsons, Ohio State football, the collective works of Ned Beatty, the incomprehensible ways of cajun-scots ex-pats living in Alabama and the McGriddle. And Paul Morphy. I know a fuckton about that relentlessly drunk debaucher and patzer.

So, that's a resounding motherfucking no.

Comment

• I am not cajun. I just lived amongst them like Goodall with chimpanzees.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Last edited by Hannibal; June 27, 2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• I just started watching The Wire. Pretty good show so far. Near the end of Season 1.

Comment

• I just started watching The Wire. Pretty good show so far. Near the end of Season 1.
                      Season 1 is good. It's a stand-alone season. Seasons 2/3 go together and Seasons 4/5 go together.

It's been several years since I last watched it front to back.

Comment

• Correct.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I got a big chuckle out of this:

"The other is that political gerrymanders have always been with us. See ante, at 8, 24. To its credit, the majority does not frame that point as an originalist constitutional argument."

That's awesome

Comment

• Comment

• I'm also seeing that our health care system is broken because it is a 50% Libertarian/50% government solution. Lots of mandates combined with a lack of cost controls. And that since "health care for everyone regardless of your ability to afford it" is now likely accepted and here to stay, the least shitty outcome might be to have Single Payer. But if we get Single Payer, then we need Draconian personal behavior controls to make it work. I have always been for drug decriminalization but that would turn on a dime if we ever get Single Payer. I would be for banning tobacco outright too and taxing the shit out of fat people.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

Working...
                                X