No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The citizenship question case, though, is largely for show (IMO). I don't buy into the notion that the question will sharply reduce responses. I think that's mostly worst-case scenario faux injury shit that you need to bring the lawsuit.

The gerrymandering case is the big one.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

That sounds like a pretty fantastic drive. Only been to Seattle and that western part of Montana, but not on the same trip.
      The drive across Washington is wonderful in part because it looks like so many other places as you go inland. You get the typical Pac NW scenery and then you get bits of so many other western landscapes. One day I'd like to do US2 all the way across.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Yeah, I mean the district court is going to set a schedule. The government will have to submit further evidence for its explanation (in this 'unusual' case). And the District Court will rule against them because it's in NY. The 2nd Circuit will affirm. The Supreme Court -- eh -- hard to tell. But, it's very hard to imagine it working through that process so quickly.

The lesson here is that we can obviously ask citizenship questions. OBVIOUSLY. However, you need to paper it up the justification. As with any contentious agency decision. If, by some small miracle, the Rs have the White House in 2030, the question will be on the census because they'll know how to do it.

Comment

• Well, I mean -- if I read the opinion correctly, it's being remanded for the District Court for a determination of pretext and, I would imagine, they'd have a chance to submit additional evidence. But, as you note, they probably already submitted what they had.

But, I confess -- it's not clear to me -- I hate remands for proceedings "consistent with this opinion".

It's a very odd situation -- you have a completely justifiable action -- substantially justifiable -- that may be improper if the motive was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            The citizenship question case, though, is largely for show (IMO). I don't buy into the notion that the question will sharply reduce responses. I think that's mostly worst-case scenario faux injury shit that you need to bring the lawsuit.

The gerrymandering case is the big one.

Comment

• The census result seems fair to me. If you had a valid and honestly explained reason for such an action, sure. I take the "originalist" postion. Gender, age, place of birth. In 1850 the census questions were expanded slightly and in 1860 individual notations (instead of household totals) and occupation was added. That's all you need to meet the Constitutional requirements. Everything added since then is little more than mission creep. Glad Roberts publicly recognized the administration's penchant for fantasy and outright lying.

Its hard to argue with the gerrymandering decision. Leaving that question to the states is probably the correct thing to do, but partisanship is so toxic and prevalent in the states, that self remedy is hardly likely. The court seems to say, yeah, gerrymandering is horribly bad, but states you're on your own to fix it. I'd like to see the effect of citizen boards like what is proposed in Michigan has.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• To be clear, it may actually change response rates, just not meaningfully. Also to be clear -- I view the entire exercise as a political sop by PDJT. This was a red meat, easy to describe issue that he had authority to implement. And he did it. I don't think PDJT cares one lick about efficacy. It was all political like virtually everything else he does.

We differ. That's fine.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised. TBH, I'm also a little surprised the left justices didn't join the entire thing. They couldn't bring themselves to say that it's a proper question. I could see the Wise Latina going that path and Ginsburg, but I would have thought Kagan and Breyer could have at least acknowledged that much.

Comment

• Its hard to argue with the gerrymandering decision. Leaving that question to the states is probably the correct thing to do, but partisanship is so toxic and prevalent in the states, that self remedy is hardly likely. The court seems to say, yeah, gerrymandering is horribly bad, but states you're on your own to fix it. I'd like to see the effect of citizen boards like what is proposed in Michigan has.
                  The other point of emphasis is that Congress can "fix" this. You can work state-by-state, but Congress can also pass laws concerning apportionment and redistricting. The most ill-suited body -- by far -- to resolve this issue is the Court. This is fundamentally a policy issue -- a political question issue. How much is too much?

Comment

• Mitchell v Wisconsin is fucked up. First case they gave ruled on recently that I hate.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I tend to agree, but I don't hate it.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Comment

• You are quite the libertarian. You and entropy. The best and brightest.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X