No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian study of 80 covid patients had half taking hydroxychloroquine. No noticeable improvements. Two dozen of the ones that got the drug still died. Others developed irregular heartbeats.

Still hoping remdesivir shows promise despite that China-associated aborted trial.

Comment

• Here's another tid-bit for germaphobes ........ I learned this recently when I looked seriously at how to best disinfect surfaces on the boat I have an interest in that supposedly is going to become available for use today or this weekend after the mayor unlocks the city marinas he knee-jerk closed on March 15th. I was naturally concerned about other users contaminating the boat before I might use it, right?

The owner of the company that provides the boat I use on Biscayne Bay in S. FL put out cleaning instructions yesterday that boat users are advised to follow before and after they use the boat. Surprise, it's soap and water! It's not Lysol, it's not bleach ..... it's plain old soap and water.

The way this works is that he provides a spray bottle that contains a mixture of concentrated soap and plain water. Spray the high hand contact, outside surfaces with the mixture. Let it sit. Go below and spray high touch hard surfaces (not cloth like bunk bedding). Next go topsides and wash off the soapy mixture on the outside surfaces with a hose. Next, go below and wipe off sprayed surfaces with as few paper towels as you can use to do that (paper towels being in short supply).

Not surprisingly, that is the best way, according to an epidemiologist he consulted, to disinfect surfaces, just like soap and water is the best way to wash your hands/skin. Don't believe this? Insist on hoarding every can or bottle of disinfectants you can load into your cart in the grocery store?

The chemistry is pretty easy to understand - see the link. But, you know, everybody had to have Lysol and bleach containing disinfectants ......and, of course, products containing that are non-existent in stores. More paranoia from our "experts". Well, actually that's not true. Experts have consistently advised soap and water. It's the idiot, incompetent, incorrectly informed crowd in the media, all forms of it, that stirred up the hysteria.

Surprise, soap and water works great and cleaning products containing it are in abundant supply.

marketwatch.com/story/deadly-viruses-are-no-match-for-plain-old-soap-heres-the-science-behind-it-2020-03-08
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Governor Whitmer has extended Michigan's stay-at-home order until May 15. On the bright side, if you like to go fishing, or if you want to plant your garden, its okay now. She's backed off those restrictions. And, you can do some painting if you like.

She's toughened one requirement. She wants everyone to wear a face mask if you go out into any enclosed area. Good luck finding an approved face mask that will be delivered before July, ... but she wants you to cover your face.

She still has not given approval for bars and restaurants to reopen for inside dining. (Sorry, Wiz) I think she may ease that a bit come May 15th.

Personally, I had no intention of going back out 'as normal' anyway, so she could extend it until November, and it really wouldn't affect me. I intend to 'self-isolate' in some fashion until a vaccine is approved.

In the "silly political move of the day", the Republicans in Michigan's legislature began meetings to consider a bill to strip Whitmer of some of her powers in the Emergency Act that has enabled her to do all this. Its silly for many reasons, but to me its laughable, considering that any bill they approve has to go to her for her signature. I don't think she'll sign it. They could try to override, but the votes aren't going to be there. So, .. when we have so many more, much more important things to be concerned about, .. our legislature is playing politics.

And lets be fair here. If Rick Snyder were still governor, the Dems would be doing the exact same thing. Politicians are politicians above everything else.

Our county recorded its 5th Covid death on Thursday. A 92 year old man with lung cancer. I'm one of the few who believes he died too soon. May God comfort his family and friends at this time.

Last edited by lineygoblue; April 24, 2020, 11:41 AM.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• ...yep...Big Daddy Guvmint knows best...just ask Randy Weaver and the women and children at the Branch Davidian compound in Waco...

Trust us.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• On the balance I think that Gov. Whitmer is doing a very good in Michigan. You can golf but riding in carts are still a no go which I really don't have a problem with. I think one of the last things that is going to open up is motels/hotels and large gatherings.

Am good with that (even though it means my job is closed down)

It is going to be very very interesting to see what the impact of the work visas is going to be. A lot of Jamicans get used in the summer where I work but with the coronavirus raging on--I wonder how many of them we are going to have this year. I think even when there is inside dining for at least a month people are going to be leery coming out.

I err on staying locked down on for later than sooner. Once, you lift things and you have to lock down again then you are going to have a fewer people following through.
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I agree that Whitmer is doing about as well as can be expected. There is no precedent to this situation, so everyone is basically taking this a day at a time including the governor. I agree that to err on the side of safety is not a bad thing right now.

Work visas could be a bit troublesome here in Michigan, especially on Mackinac Island this summer. Many of the seasonal workers who work there are college students from other countries. One of the guides we had on our horse buggy tour a few years ago was a young man from England. It was kind of funny to hear a Brit tell me, a lifelong Michigan resident, about the history of Mackinac Island. Problem is, he knew way more than me...

I err on staying locked down on for later than sooner. Once, you lift things and you have to lock down again then you are going to have a fewer people following through.
              I have pretty much the same feeling. Once the shelter in place orders are relaxed, it will be like trying to un-ring a bell. Folks aren't going to want to go back into quarantine right away, even if its for their own good. For me, I think I'm at the beginning of seeing my own property for a long time. Me, and my lawn mower in the summer, and my snow blower in the winter .... pfffft

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• In perusing today's business news this evening, it's obvious that businesses are doing a good deal of planning on what reopening is going to look like. What struck me was the number of lessons learned about operating businesses - even the giant conglomerates with global reach and employee sites are talking about them. Working remotely from home works. Meetings conducted via the various platforms that do that virtually work. The degree to which that has gone on in a manner that allows businesses that are actually still doing business to operate. Kroger foods is a good example. That company has been quick on it's feet in adapting its operating practices to servie a huge uptick in deamand. Brick and mortar retailers are realizing that on-line shopping can deliver profits and that shoppers are not likely to return to their stores anytime soon given COVID paranoia and the ease of online shopping and 1-3d delivery of the items they're shopping for. Amazon, as you'd expect, was perfectly positioned and its independent competitors both on-line only and doing both on-line and brick and mortar operations are playing catch-up.

What also struck me is that none of the businesses interviewed in one article I read are in hurry to re-open. Most have been brainwashed by the constant harping from officials on the extreme dangers of SARS-COV-2 and it's capacity to spread. TBF, there's data to support that position. Likewise, although it is less discoverable without a lot of digging and reading, there's data to support more aggressive steps to reopen businesses in a phased manner with appropriate mechanisms and processes in place.

Clearly, reopening is also sector dependent. the local bar and restaurant, small personal service oriented businesses has completely different issues to deal with than, say, your down-town Equifax. The circumstances for service industry companies that manage data, do accounting and so forth that heretofore worked out of large offices with 100s of employees sitting at desks or cubicles or even in open concept work spaces are different from manufacturing operations such as Boeing's assembly plants where hundreds of workers intermingle in huge plants or aircraft hangers. The hospitality sector has equally divergent working and service delivery circumstances. There is no one size fits all in this "Brave New World" of reopening.

But companies are planning life with COVID and after it. That is a tribute to the resiliency of the human race and the natural survival instinct. All of that makes me feel better in the sea of COVID news coming at us 24-7 if you are obsessed over listening to and watching it. Most of it, IMO, mischaracterizes important information, wrongly reports it or seriously misleads - the Remdesivir BS that went down over the last 72h is a case in point. There are others just as prominent. You know what those are.

So, bravo to global business and the human race.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• My wife had the antibody test and she apparently has the antibodies, so she may have had it and was asymptomatic. She wasn't sure because she had the older antibody they tested for. We were assuming that was a possibility.

Comment

• Also of interest to me in today's news, the FDR CVN 71's former CO, Capt. Brett Crozier is very likely to be reinstated after is relief apparently directed by acting SecNave, Thomas Modely. It's up to SECDEF Esper as a board of inquiry has recommended that course of action for the Navy.

Let's be perfectly clear here. Crosier's intent was laudable. IMO, it's the way he went about it when, the facts the public had available at the time right after and then 2-3 weeks after that demonstrated the Navy was taking his concerns seriously and was seeking ways to address them without telling the world the FDR was disabled due to SARS-COV-2 and not combat ready. The public may not think that's a big deal but it is a huge deal - not a single former CO that I talked to thought what he did, given the facts known among us at the time, thought Captain Crozier acted as a CO should act.

It's pretty clear that either Crosier himself or people advocating for him took his what should have been a classified letter and made it public. I thought that was wrong. We're not going to see the details of the inquiry but if he wasn't actually the one that took that letter public, he should be reinstated. If he was the one, he should stand relieved.

But, that's not how it will go down. We now have a public relations situation the DON has to deal with. Totally different calculus and Crozier will benefit from that. So, what will happen to his career? He was thought to be a rapidly rising star ready for promotion to Rear Admiral. I feel pretty confident that after this tour and probably oner other where he will get passed over for selection to flag rank, he'll inconspicuously retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      My wife had the antibody test and she apparently has the antibodies, so she may have had it and was asymptomatic. She wasn't sure because she had the older antibody they tested for. We were assuming that was a possibility.
                      Good news, Froot. I'm probably not telling you anything you and your wife don't know but one of the problems with both older versions of this AB test or even the current flock of newer AB testing is that they cross react with a number of Cornaviruses including, the common cold and SARS - COV - 1. If you are referring to that by describing that she got tested with the "old" AB tests, you know this already.

..... and that's the problem. Is she actually immune to SARS-COV-2 and protected in the environment she's working in?

Comment

• Jeff - I don't much about it other than the 30 second phone call I had with her. I'll know more when I get home from work. I'm not sure she has immunity, but it sounds like the people running the study did. Clear as mud.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          My wife had the antibody test and she apparently has the antibodies, so she may have had it and was asymptomatic. She wasn't sure because she had the older antibody they tested for. We were assuming that was a possibility.
                          Hopefully, if that is the case, your whole family may have been exposed and not got the virus or had it and didn't know. I have to think that bodes well for you all.
                          But as you said, "Who knows"
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• She was positive for the IgG antibody which is the one that develops after something like a month after having the virus. The initial antiboby is IgM which develops after 5-10 days. So as part of the study she is going to get her blood drawn every two weeks. She doesn't know any of her co-workers that tested positive.

My son had some wicked cold that we suspected could have been it as he never gets sick. My older daughter has something that won't go away, we have to watch it with her as she gets infusions that compromise the immunity system.

I get bronchitis all the effin time so I have to watch it.

Comment

• Thanks, Froot. My best wishes to you, your wife and your kids.

Comment

• This is perhaps the first well reasoned opinion piece, well, at least the first I've seen and you know I've been looking, that calls for something different for places that aren't "packed in a sardine can" like NYC. He's advocating for mitigated reopening where appropriate with testing scaled to the resources that are currently available. I have a particular kinship with this author's views.

"The US can't continue to hold it's breath .........."

There was also a late evening BBC piece asking if Sweden has taken the correct course. You all probably know that Sweden eschewed the rigorous lock-downs of the EU and other Scandinavian countries. Sweden isn't killing it but they are at the same levels or slightly below their contemporaries. It really didn't say anything startling so, no link. Basically it says it's too early to tell and time will reveal who dealt with the pandemic the best when considering the tensions between those on one side or the other of the lock-down, don't lock-down argument.

Comment

Working...
                                X