No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon, I agree you have 4 political wings within 2 parties but to talent's point Rs cannot dismiss 72m R voters that support Trump's policies if not the man himself. I think talent's analysis that how the Senate handles the impeachment of Trump will point the way to how the R party is going to deal with him and the hold, although apparently diminishing, he has on the R party.

I read an article in the WSJ this morning that trend lines indicate that McConnel will guide an R effort to not convene a trial on the legal grounds that Impeachment and removal by trial from office was intended to remove a sitting official. There is precedent for trying officials who resign and then tried after the fact. But a trial would put R's on record of either continuing to support a Trump role in the R party or moving to distance themselves from him and I don't think McConnel wants that to happen. He's going to kick that can down the road. That's because the mid-terms in 2022 could be a catastrophe for Rs ....... if Trump is marginalized within the R party and the 72m folks that voted for him are ignored.

That reality addresses your thinking that R's "will purge" Trumpsters. Not likely.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The "article of impeachment" isn't going to be delivered to the Senate until Chucky and Kamala are in charge. Nancy isn't going to let Mitch touch it.

There will be a trial, and my guess is Trump will be "convicted". He's going to be a private citizen living in Florida by then, but those are mere details to The Party. Romney, Collins and about 15 other RINOS will join The Party to ensure the conviction. Then the real fun begins. Not sure how constitutional it will be to convict a private citizen in an impeachment trial. Maybe the legal beagles in here have a better idea than I do.

In the end, its all politics, and absolutely not about justice. Not even one of those 100 boneheads in the Senate care about "justice". They care about winning their next election. Nothing more.

This might be a can of worms that intelligent people would take and use in the Potomac.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
        The "article of impeachment" isn't going to be delivered to the Senate until Chucky and Kamala are in charge. Nancy isn't going to let Mitch touch it.

There will be a trial, and my guess is Trump will be "convicted". He's going to be a private citizen living in Florida by then, but those are mere details to The Party. Romney, Collins and about 15 other RINOS will join The Party to ensure the conviction. Then the real fun begins. Not sure how constitutional it will be to convict a private citizen in an impeachment trial. Maybe the legal beagles in here have a better idea than I do.

In the end, its all politics, and absolutely not about justice. Not even one of those 100 boneheads in the Senate care about "justice". They care about winning their next election. Nothing more.

This might be a can of worms that intelligent people would take and use in the Potomac.
        Disloyalty to Trump does not make you a "RINO". In fact, it takes more courage to be an anti-Trump Republican than simply fall in line and give the Dear Leader verbal blowjobs like Lindsey Graham wants to do.

And Impeachment decisions don't follow the same rules as a legal trial nor should they.

Comment

• You don't keep up very well Strangelove. Graham swore Trump off last week as well. He's looking to blow Joe nowadays.

Impeachment rules are whatever The Party says they are.

Comment

• Aw, darn... no bloodshed today in Lansing. Maybe another time.

A demonstration featuring armed protesters on the Michigan Capitol lawn appeared to be ending quietly on Sunday as snow fell on downtown Lansing.

From the article:

A protest at the Michigan Capitol drew about a dozen armed demonstrators and a heavy police presence but remained peaceful Sunday, three days before Democratic President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration.

With dozens of Michigan State Police troopers and National Guard members looking on, the protesters carrying AR-15 rifles joined a small group of other demonstrators at the Capitol at about noon. Law enforcement officials said they were prepared for "the worst" to occur amid unrest over the Nov. 3 election, but the reporters present appeared to outnumber the protesters.

"It has all stayed peaceful. Everything has been calm," Lansing Mayor Andy Schor said at about 3 p.m. after most of the crowd had dissipated.

Schor said there had been no arrests and no incidents of violence. Lansing Police Chief Daryl Green estimated the crowd at about 150 people.

Comment

• Law enforcement officials said they were prepared for "the worst" to occur amid unrest over the Nov. 3 election, but the reporters present appeared to outnumber the protesters.

I'm sure the "reporters" were sorely disappointed that the "protesters" were not fired upon.

Some other time, guys.

Comment

• But in the end, I suspect most Republican Senators will use the off-ramp of "you can't impeach someone once they're out of office" to avoid taking a stand either way. They acquit Trump on a technicality and avoid defending his behavior at the same time. It's debatable but the preponderance of legal opinion is that you absolutely CAN impeach someone even after they've left office. There is precedence for it happening. The debate is really over whether that precedence applies to the President or if he is "special".

Comment

• The whole military buildup in Lansing today reminds me of the Michigan vs OSU game each year.

Michigan is the woefully under-armed "protest militia" that showed up, and OSU is the National Guard with the real armament.

Its like bringing a knife to a gun fight. There was never, ever, any threat to anyone.

Just like UM.

Comment

You don't keep up very well Strangelove. Graham swore Trump off last week as well. He's looking to blow Joe nowadays.

Impeachment rules are whatever The Party says they are.
                    This isn't remotely true. That lasted about one day. Brother Lindsey has been the lead advocate for Trump in the Senate, calling impeachment crazy because it is so, so divisive. In fact just today he attacked Biden and said Trump is trying to heal the nation. Laughable. Pathetic.

Comment

• So now, Mitt Romney will start getting the "respect" he has craved in Washington for so long. The woke left will have a camera and microphone in his face every time The Party needs the backing of the Republican party. He, along with Sue Collins, Ben Sasse, and other "awakened" Republicans will smile and wave while KamalaJoe install laws and regulations that dismantle free speech and all dissent. Don't want to rock the boat .. and all that.

Great times for supporters of The Party.

Comment

The whole military buildup in Lansing today reminds me of the Michigan vs OSU game each year.

Michigan is the woefully under-armed "protest militia" that showed up, and OSU is the National Guard with the real armament.

Its like bringing a knife to a gun fight. There was never, ever, any threat to anyone.

Just like UM.
                        I like this comparison.

Like Michigan, the militias are the utter scum in your analogy. Well said.

Comment

• So Strangelove didn't see where Lindsey said "enough is enough, .. he's on his own".

See what you want to see, I guess ...

Comment

• Like Michigan, the militias are the utter scum in your analogy. Well said.
                            Not utter scum, .. just inept.
                            Last edited by lineygoblue; January 17, 2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              But in the end, I suspect most Republican Senators will use the off-ramp of "you can't impeach someone once they're out of office" to avoid taking a stand either way. They acquit Trump on a technicality and avoid defending his behavior at the same time. It's debatable but the preponderance of legal opinion is that you absolutely CAN impeach someone even after they've left office. There is precedence for it happening. The debate is really over whether that precedence applies to the President or if he is "special".
                              What’s not debatable is the “for show” nature of such a proceeding. I wouldn’t expect 17 R votes for a host of reasons, but you’ll get 8-12.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

The "article of impeachment" isn't going to be delivered to the Senate until Chucky and Kamala are in charge. Nancy isn't going to let Mitch touch it.
                                I believe there is already agreement between Schumer and McConnell on when a motion to conduct a trial will reach the Senate floor. D's want to focus on Biden's "First 100 Days" agenda more than they want to hold a trial and convict Trump. They might despise Trump and Pelosi is definitely out to hold the president accountable, former or not, but the Biden agenda is going to take a front seat while Trump's trial gets the back. It is also my understanding that Biden, McConnell and Schumer have had discussion about this and reached some kind of agreement on this..

The Turtle will still hold enormous power to affect whether or not the Senate holds a trial and if the unforeseeable actually happens, McConnel will again wield considerable influence over the outcome. But wait, lets check the betting odds. This is a fun site if not totally unreliable as an accurate predictor. The "money" is being put on won't be tried. https://www.predictit.org/markets/13/President

Also of note Manchin is favored to vote for acquittal if it comes to that.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X