Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    This is absolutely stunning....Charles Cooke very neatly makes the most obviously valid points....but, basically, if you want out of Afghanistan, you're being asked to pay $2000 or more for the flight. https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...e-down-system/

Eh, it's worth quoting because it's so damn true:
    FWIW the State Dept spokesman just told CNN that no one will be charged for their flights to evacuate. And I found the article below from yesterday where he said the same thing. Also the relevant law.

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...for-evacuation

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; August 20, 2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      My opinion on DeSantis is still that he'll step aside if Trump runs. If he does manage to beat Trump in a primary it will be horribly ugly and nasty and Trump's core base holds grudges. DeSantis can finish an entire second term as Governor and leave office just as the 2028 race is starting. He'll barely be 50 years old by the time of the 2028 election.

If Trump had a traditional Republican base I would think that the 2022 midterms would be a slaughter for the Dems but so many Republicans are now low propensity voters that I could see things going either way. I don't know if something like the Georgia Specials is going to happen again or what.
      With respect DSL, I doubt if you are the best person to comment on the Trump base. You were wrong when you thought that conservative Christians would not support him. Remember the nearly naked photos of Melania in the AZ primary? Ted Cruz agreed with you.

I think the R base never admired Trump's style. But I think many, as I did in 2020, held their nose, and voted for him as an alternative to a senile Progressive. Now we have the Woke Overlords tearing up the fabric of our society. I think the R base will pick the candidate they think will make the best candidate against an as yet not-obvious Dem nominee. I do not think either Joe or Kamala will be the Dem nominee. I don't think the Rs will nominate Trump either. JMO.

Comment

• xKLWHthL.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

With respect DSL, I doubt if you are the best person to comment on the Trump base. You were wrong when you thought that conservative Christians would not support him. Remember the nearly naked photos of Melania in the AZ primary? Ted Cruz agreed with you.

I think the R base never admired Trump's style. But I think many, as I did in 2020, held their nose, and voted for him as an alternative to a senile Progressive. Now we have the Woke Overlords tearing up the fabric of our society. I think the R base will pick the candidate they think will make the best candidate against an as yet not-obvious Dem nominee. I do not think either Joe or Kamala will be the Dem nominee. I don't think the Rs will nominate Trump either. JMO.
          Meh, I was right when I said early on that Sleepy Joe would win the Dem primary and that Trump would cost the Republicans the Georgia Senate seats by lying his ass off about fraud. Can't win them all.

Trump's the presumptive 2024 nominee unless he takes himself off the board. DeSantis is the only person I can even conceive of beating him. No one who ran against Trump in 2016 stands a chance. Nikki Haley? Don't make me laugh.

Comment

• Also lol that the "R base" never admired Trump's style. They fucking LOVED his style. They'd been dying for a Republican to be a total asshat, insult people left and right, and be a fighter. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. Who cares if the fights are stupid and pointless, just FIGHT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Also lol that the "R base" never admired Trump's style. They fucking LOVED his style. They'd been dying for a Republican to be a total asshat, insult people left and right, and be a fighter. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. Who cares if the fights are stupid and pointless, just FIGHT.
              You may be correct about the crowd wearing MAGA hats and driving pickups with gun racks in the back window. But there is a credible number of conservatives not at all in that crowd that hated his style and in the end that hate overcame any admiration of his policies and he became a one termer.

That voting cohort isn't going to simply disappear. They'll vote any reasonable conservative R into office in 2024 over any liberal D, that party being responsible for destroying civil society and America's global stature.

On COVID ....... libs trying to correlate refusal to wear masks with rising case numbers fail on the basis that low vax rates are much more powerfully correlated with rising case numbers. This isn't debatable.

People get lost in the weeds arguing whether masks stop SARS2 transmission. My take is that aerosolized SARS2 virions at high concentrations sufficiently penetrate most face coverings to seed infection. That's debatable, but who cares. See above.

Kids in the K-12 population don't need to mask a. because of the above and b. despite the arm waving and hot button issue this has become infection rates are no different than they were 18 months ago in this age cohort. IOW, they are low. Serious disease and death are lower still. The risk of a child being involved in a serious MVA is much higher than becoming seriously ill from COVID. Did we stop driving our kids around in cars?

Regrettably, that logic does not seem to apply in the current mask debate over kids in school. While I too disagree with Desantis' approach, it's that kind of logic he applied and believed correctly would not be accommodated in the current COVID and masking hysteria.

At this point mandate arguments are, IMO, irrelevant. The PHE is unnecessary and unlawful. Cancel it. COVID related mandates that have sprung forth from the PHE should end.....the courts seem to think they're unlawful.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 20, 2021, 10:14 AM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• FBI Shoots Down Dem 'Conspiracy Theory' That Jan. 6 Capitol Riot Was Pre-Planned

Though federal officials have arrested more than 570 alleged participants, the FBI at this point believes the violence was not centrally coordinated by far-right groups or prominent supporters of then-President Donald Trump, according to the sources, who have been either directly involved in or briefed regularly on the wide-ranging investigations.

"Ninety to ninety-five percent of these are one-off cases," said a former senior law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation. "Then you have five percent, maybe, of these militia groups that were more closely organized. But there was no grand scheme with Roger Stone and Alex Jones and all of these people to storm the Capitol and take hostages."

But the FBI has so far found no evidence that [Trump] or people directly around him were involved in organizing the violence, according to the four current and former law enforcement officials.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  Also, 2022 is a lifetime away -- let alone 2024.
                  this^^^^

A lot of shit will be forgotten by 2024. Voters have short memories. I don’t see how Biden would be able to run again, though.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

That voting cohort isn't going to simply disappear. They'll vote any reasonable conservative R into office in 2024 over any liberal D, that party being responsible for destroying civil society and America's global stature.

On COVID ....... libs trying to correlate refusal to wear masks with rising case numbers fail on the basis that low vax rates are much more powerfully correlated with rising case numbers. This isn't debatable.

People get lost in the weeds arguing whether masks stop SARS2 transmission. My take is that aerosolized SARS2 virions at high concentrations sufficiently penetrate most face coverings to seed infection. That's debatable, but who cares. See above.

Kids in the K-12 population don't need to mask a. because of the above and b. despite the arm waving and hot button issue this has become infection rates are no different than they were 18 months ago in this age cohort. IOW, they are low. Serious disease and death are lower still. The risk of a child being involved in a serious MVA is much higher than becoming seriously ill from COVID. Did we stop driving our kids around in cars?

Regrettably, that logic does not seem to apply in the current mask debate over kids in school. While I too disagree with Desantis' approach, it's that kind of logic he applied and believed correctly would not be accommodated in the current COVID and masking hysteria.

At this point mandate arguments are, IMO, irrelevant. The PHE is unnecessary and unlawful. Cancel it. COVID related mandates that have sprung forth from the PHE should end.....the courts seem to think they're unlawful.
                    Problem is your take is too reasoned. You have American citizens cheering the destruction of their own personal liberties. We act like Freedom is a given, like we weren't the first nation to try electing representatives... people are too fucking dumb to realize that every county on the planet prior to the United States were all run by fucking dictators.

the want to control human beings isn't new. Individual freedom is, and it's hanging in the balance here.

Comment

• Henri will be a rare hurricane that hits New England directly. New England gets impacted by hurricanes every year but they usually hit somewhere in the Southeast first then ride up the coast. This one is projected to hit somewhere between Long Island and Cape Cod, with Newport RI kind of being in the square middle of all that. Martha's Vineyard was last hit by a hurricane-strength storm in 1991.

It's bad timing for flooding. It's expected to make landfall on Sunday, which is a full moon, and if it hits late afternoon it will be at high tide to boot.

Comment

• Global warming.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• 808eIC6d.jpg

.000338% mortality rate 0--19 years old.

I will not be vaccinating my children.

Comment

• One has to ask why "experts" so confidently announce "dire consequences" wrt to Delta and kids when this kind of data exists.

Also of note, the UK protected and then vaxed it's elder population quickly. The mortality rate of that group is quite low. Most countries did that among them Israel.... and FL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              One has to ask why "experts" so confidently announce "dire consequences" wrt to Delta and kids when this kind of data exists.

Also of note, the UK protected and then vaxed it's elder population quickly. The mortality rate of that group is quite low. Most countries did that among them Israel.... and FL.
                              Because they are pushing an agenda, not science and most people have been scared shitless. Others are excited to invite the government into their lives.

And don't forget, you are not allowed to question science, that would make you some sort of... denier or something. Facebook and twitter won't allow it.

Comment

• Clarissa Ward of CNN said just a bit ago that the flights out of Afghanistan were paused (for like 9 hours now) because the base in Qatar is refusing to take any more refugees. They have like 10,000 inside the airport ready to go and nowhere to take them.

EDIT: Might start taking them to Rammstein reportedly.

Comment

Working...
                                X