No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ".......we'll wind up getting into yet another quagmire where neither side shares our best interests,"
    I've stated here from the beginning that Putin's aggression in Ukraine is a continuation of his brutal expansionist strategy he has undertaken since 1999 in Chechnya, Georgia in 2008 and the seizure of Crimea from Ukraine in 2017. Putin supported the brutal dictatorship of Bashar Assad in Syria and the brutality of the Syrian assault on Aleppo that Russian military forces supported had Putin's fingerprints all over it.

There is a clear pattern to these interventions and tactics on the ground employed by the Russian army. In each case, aggrieved parties alleged Putin and his inner circle violated the laws of war, along with committing human rights violations and genocide. International Criminal Court (ICC), entertained and investigated these allegations along with those that implicated command elements of the Russian army who ordered the indiscriminate reduction of cities to ruble and targeted civilian non-combatants with chemical weapons. All of these murderous undertakings ordered by Putin resulted in horrific human suffering and capital loss. Putin didn't care and no one with an obligation to do so, did anything other than talk and posture.

Is there any reason to doubt that Putin took from this that the west, and particularly the US that had the capability to do so, would do anything about his full scale invasion of Ukraine - a substantially bigger operation than any of his previous ones?

Look, America appears to have abandoned it's leadership role in advancing and protecting freedom and democracy. Some see missteps by the US in this endeavor and I whole heatedly agree. It gives rise to concerns such as you voice, Tom. OTH, it does not excuse America from restoring it's role as democracy's "beacon on the hill" and leading a militarily intervention in Ukraine My view is that continuing to stand on the sidelines and wish for sanctions to cripple the Russian economy, threaten Putin's power base and restrain Putin's war machine is short sighted. It loses sight of the immediate genocide in Ukraine and long term threats to liberalism presented by the growth of autocracies that do whatever the fuck they want - to their citizens and in Putin's case, land grabs unprecedented, as in Ukraine's case, since Hitler invaded Poland in 1937.

I'm in the minority here with my advocacy that now is the time to forcefully stop Putin's genocide in Ukraine. If we don't, it invites Putin's continued brutal, aggressive and expansionist behavior. Others are watching and will follow his lead. The next generation is going to suffer from the current generation's adults to have the balls to tell Putin to get out of Ukraine or suffer the humiliation the west has the capacity to deliver. I'll reiterate, there are risks of an unconventional exchange involving Russia and western nations that cohere to act against the Russian forces presently in Ukraine. It's not small but, if you understand the arguments of "nuclear dominance" as a deterrent on Herman Kahn's 44 steps on the ladder of Nuclear escalation, you'll see the risks and the benefits of playing nuclear hard ball.

This article is old (2017) but it does several things if you're interested in understanding the components of strategic nuclear posture. It was written before the Trump administration was considering a review of it's strategic nuclear posture. It explains and suggests that certain elements of strategies that dominated US Nuclear Posture since the cold war and subsequent nuclear disarmament between the US and Russia are flawed and offers realistic alternatives to be incorporated in the upcoming Nuclear Posture Review (NPR) Trump ordered.

“Anyone who thinks they can control escalation through the use of nuclear weapons is literally playing with fire. Escalation is escalation, and nuclear

Here's the NPR. I don't recommend a full read. The forward and executive summary will inform you to the extent that if we're going to talk about this shit that we're at least somewhat knowledgeable ....... or, of course, I don't think it's unreasonable to just not want to talk about it at all. It's analytical (I can deal with this) and only deals superficially with the horror of intercontinental nuclear exchange (I can't think about that in a risk benefits discussion). I can assure you that the US DOD and their Kremlin counterparts are full on discussing this.

What a read of it does for me is to understand that there is a long pathway from conventional warfare and nuclear war where the opponents are willing to exchange, for example, Virginia and Washington DC for the Moscow Oblast. IOW, the US has political, diplomatic and military tools available to more strongly oppose, potentially bring to a rapid end, Putin's genocide in Ukraine that don't involve intercontinental nuclear war.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Forget talk of US or NATO intervention. Too late. Russian forces are attacking across the entire 300 mile front of the Donbas which includes the Donesk and Luhansk oblasts. We'll know in a matter of days whether or not the Russians have fixed what errors they made in the assault on Kiev.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• What the orcs have learned is that armour is not the primary offensive vehicle in Ukraine. Much easier (and safer) to use artillery to flatten an area, who gives a fuck about civilians. Given the Ukraine’s capabilities using manpad AA systems, we also see a shift to the use of cruise missiles and strategic bombers as examples in Mariupol. The mission now is to make Ukraine uninhabitable and push the rubble around later. The painful choice Ukraine has is how to weather the long range onslaught and make it too costly for Russia to bear. Under present conditions I’m not sure that can be done. I think we will bee see the conflict morph into a guerrilla war similar to the final year of Viet Nam where no place is safe for the orcs and they will have a decision to make concerning a costly and unmanageably protracted low intensity war.

The West should publicly announce the use of frozen Russian assets to fund more sophisticated weapon systems for Ukraine. Let Putin bluster. Use VOA and other communication assets to broadcast that Putin is funding the deaths of Russian soldiers. Let it sink in that economic losses are permanent and won’t be freed up with a withdrawal of forces, all because of Putin. Hammer the point that this is Putin’s war, not the Russian people’s, and Putin doesn’t care about the number of dead Russians. Make Putin literally pay for the Ukrainian resistance in a very public way.
        I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Remember to keep wearing your mask...

4.17.22-All-States.png

Comment

• It's interesting that the Federal Judge in FL that enjoined the CDC's renewal of the mask mandate in and on federally regulated transportation made her ruling on the same basis as a different FL judge's ruling that enjoined the CDC's no sail order that shut down cruise line operations out of US ports.

Its taken 2y for the idiocy of government's administrative overreaching has been bitch slapped.

Comment

• Can we just move the midterms ahead to, say, May, just so we can just start getting rid of these asshats?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                Can we just move the midterms ahead to, say, May, just so we can just start getting rid of these asshats?
                We will be lucky if we have free and fair elections in November.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    It's interesting that the Federal Judge in FL that enjoined the CDC's renewal of the mask mandate in and on federally regulated transportation made her ruling on the same basis as a different FL judge's ruling that enjoined the CDC's no sail order that shut down cruise line operations out of US ports.

Its taken 2y for the idiocy of government's administrative overreaching has been bitch slapped.
                    It's almost as if the airport announcements declaring masks to be "federal law" were complete lies.

Comment

• Crash still waiting on Hillary's indictment...

Its Been A Long Time Reaction GIF

Comment

• Not having Hillary in the White House and seeing her and legions continue to not grasp WHY she isn't there is more fun than seeing her in jail.

Comment

• Talent,

Thoughts on Newcastle-Crystal Palace today? You used to be a Magpies fan, iirc.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• REBUILD THE CRYSTAL PALACE!

Comment

• The game is at Newcastle, so I’m leaning going with them as slight favs.

And another game in the books and I’ll place a USFL wager, too. They’re on the books already.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X