No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction ..... yesterday I posted Moskva was lobbing cruise missiles into Ukraine. From the British Defense Ministry this morning, Moskva was not equipped to launch the Caliber land attack cruise missile. But other ships in Russian's Black Sea Fleet so equipped were being shielded by Moskva's air defenses and supported C3 in land attacks from sea based platforms. What is notable is that most of Russia's Black Sea Fleet has moved further off-shore (Neptune has a 250 mile range and Moskva was 65 miles from Odessa's coastline) giving credence to Ukrainian claims they took out Moskva with a Neptune.

Moskva would have led and coordinated any amphibious assaults on Odessa. Its loss reduces that threat considerably, freeing Ukrainian forces fixed there to move north out of Odessa to join the fight for Kherson - a blocking move that would slow or prevent a Russian advances from Donbas, through Mariupol to link up with Russian forces within Crimea and take Odessa. Moskva, theoretically, cannot be replaced due to Turkey prohibiting movement of warships into but not out of the Blcak Sea via the Dardanelles, which are Turkish territorial waters that they legally control access to.

Yesterday I was researching Russia's and Ukraine's naval forces within the Sea of Azov and the Black Sea. I was stunned with the numbers of ships on both sides. The Russian and Ukrainian naval assets are mostly Soviet era ships built in the 70s and 80s, a lot of them, including Moskva, built in Ukraine, some earlier. None of them are particularly technologically advanced compared to US naval assets. They're also high maintenance and spend a lot of time in port getting repaired rather than at sea. You may recall that Ukrainian aircraft attacked two Russian Amphibious Assault ships in the Ukrainian port of Berdyansk, sinking one in port and rendering another damaged.

Analysts don't see some kind of massive naval engagement between Russian and Ukrainian naval forces happening. That might be akin to disabled persons in wheel chairs going at it. Neither navy is particularly strong, Russia's >> than Ukraine's. Russia could still mount an amphibious assault on Odessa but those are highly complex operations requiring a degree of C3 and coordination of air, ground and sea units that the Russians have not demonstrated.

Putin made good on his threat to target Kiev with cruise missiles following the sinking of Moskva, hitting what they claim is the munitions plant that makes the Neptune anti-ship missiles. I'm waiting to hear about the Ukrainians engaging cruise missiles with S300 or Patriot missiles - exactly what these systems are capable of taking out. I've seen videos of what appear to be ground launched antiaircraft missiles that don't have the smoke trail of a shoulder fired air defense weapon (e.g., Stingers) taking out what was reportedly a cruise missile (the destroyed missile fell to the ground). From that I conclude these systems are deployed and operational. I'd imagine where and how they are integrated is secret squirrel stuff. Still, Russian doctrine suggests multiple cruise missiles will be launched at a high priority target with the purpose of overwhelming the tracking capability of the radars associated with launch platforms. Some videos may emerge of today's attack inside Kiev. Would not be at all surprised if a salvo was launched (air v ground launched, the later more likely) and less than the entire bunch made it to the intended target.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I’m against the 12-15 weeks. And I’m against a total ban. I personally think 8-10 weeks is enough time to make a decision - excepting, of course, some newly discovered medical issue (ectopic, a harlequin baby, etc). And, honestly, we’re only a few years from a 15-weeker being viable. The current record is 132 days or 18 weeks and some change. Born at UAB last year.

Viability (or close), at least for me, gives me a bit of a moral pause and I think that sweeping change should be conservative on the issue because it will be a lot easier to fix it now than go back and move the goal posts in a decade or whatever.

(Also, for you non-medical folks: do NOT Google harlequin baby images. Just such a poor diagnosis - even though some can live for a bit with extensive care, the quality of life is usually extremely poor.)
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Article about what McCarthy will be facing almost right away once he's Speaker: the Debt Ceiling. The last time a Republican House voted to raise the debt limit was in 2017. Out of 133 Republicans who voted for it, only 33 are left in Congress. Most of the House Republicans with a reputation as "dealmakers" are gone. McCarthy needs to find replacements

McCarthy losing House GOP dealmakers as he eyes speakership - POLITICO

Comment

• No exceptions for incest or rape can't possibly be a popular position. Any politician with half a brain should be able to swat away that question with ease.

Just so I'm clear on the SCOTUS case, they are reviewing the legality of the Mississippi law that bans abortions after 15 weeks, right?

Roe states that the government cannot ban abortions in the first trimester but 2nd trimester abortions can be regulated by state governments. 15 weeks falls into the 2nd trimester so I'm not even sure what all the fuss is about.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            I’m against the 12-15 weeks. And I’m against a total ban. I personally think 8-10 weeks is enough time to make a decision - excepting, of course, some newly discovered medical issue (ectopic, a harlequin baby, etc). And, honestly, we’re only a few years from a 15-weeker being viable. The current record is 132 days or 18 weeks and some change. Born at UAB last year.

Viability (or close), at least for me, gives me a bit of a moral pause and I think that sweeping change should be conservative on the issue because it will be a lot easier to fix it now than go back and move the goal posts in a decade or whatever.

(Also, for you non-medical folks: do NOT Google harlequin baby images. Just such a poor diagnosis - even though some can live for a bit with extensive care, the quality of life is usually extremely poor.)
            I mean, at some point (not in our lifetimes), all fertilized eggs will be "viable" in some sort of artificial womb I imagine, and can be removed from the original mother safely and quickly. Not to get all sci-fi bullshit up in here.

Comment

• DeSantis could have pushed for an Oklahoma-style ban but didn't. At least not to my knowledge. Got to be some instinct that it wouldn't be popular there. At least not "majority" popular.
              The progs in FL like to repeatedly characterize Desantis as mini-Trump. He is decidedly not that. He's politically savvy and his position on abortion, reflected in the FL bill he just signed into law, is also reflective of his capacity to enlarge his base of support to rational thinkers on this subject.

I support Desantis in most of what he has done - like prohibit the teaching of CRT and "grooming" of K-3 kids in public schools, banning COVID related mandates of any kind. fighting the CDC's ban of cruise ship operations (and winning an injunction against their "no sail order" in the USSC). He's been a strong advocate of curbing executive over-reach by the feds and against all this prog bull-shit. He's stepped in it a few times, notably for me, by trying to pass laws in FL that prevented private businesses from implementing vaccine requirements for employees.... and TBC, I'm not a supporter of vaccine mandates but I am a proponent of stopping government interference (expansion of the administrative state) in the operational rules that private businesses want to establish as long as they don't run afoul of equal rights established in the US constitution.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• AA- Just out of curiosity, what is the absolute earliest after sex that a woman could take a pregnancy test and it would show that she's pregnant? My general sense is that you need to give the mother at least a month to even be aware she's pregnant and then at least a few weeks to decide. But that got me thinking about pregnancy tests in general and how soon they would register a pregnancy. Although I obviously think it's ridiculous to expect women to take daily pregnancy tests every time they have sex.

Comment

• As a Libertarian I oppose any government involvement in the abortion question and feel it is a personal choice up to the viability point. I am personally opposed to abortion for any reason other than rape or incest...but it is humorous to see the Progs scream "my body my choice" when so called "anti-vaxers" screamed the same thing...
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                    As a Libertarian I oppose any government involvement in the abortion question and feel it is a personal choice up to the viability point. I am personally opposed to abortion for any reason other than rape or incest...but it is humorous to see the Progs scream "my body my choice" when so called "anti-vaxers" screamed the same thing...
                    Yeah, I'm of that mindset too. Abortion is a bit like nuclear weapons- heinous and disgusting and not something that you'd ever want to use, but well, sometimes terrible circumstances happen.

The whole fear factor and saber rattling over regarding Roe v. Wade is half a century old and nothing has gotten resolved.

Not everybody has a horse in the race, but we've all got a share of owning the track in which both sides come in and trash. Just settle it - legal and safe would be there if those terrible circumstances occur, but don't trivialize it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      Correction ..... yesterday I posted Moskva was lobbing cruise missiles into Ukraine. From the British Defense Ministry this morning, Moskva was not equipped to launch the Caliber land attack cruise missile. But other ships in Russian's Black Sea Fleet so equipped were being shielded by Moskva's air defenses and supported C3 in land attacks from sea based platforms. What is notable is that most of Russia's Black Sea Fleet has moved further off-shore (Neptune has a 250 mile range and Moskva was 65 miles from Odessa's coastline) giving credence to Ukrainian claims they took out Moskva with a Neptune.
                      You know that is complete bullshit, Jeff. The main weapon of the Slava-class cruisers was the SS-N-12 (those 12 canisters mounted on either side), which was techically an anti-shipping missile, but could easily be used against land targets. If the Red Navy sent her into a potential combat situation, it would be beyond stupid of them to not give her the capability of using her primary weapons systems.

Comment

• This is disgusting

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

Yeah, I'm of that mindset too. Abortion is a bit like nuclear weapons- heinous and disgusting and not something that you'd ever want to use, but well, sometimes terrible circumstances happen.

The whole fear factor and saber rattling over regarding Roe v. Wade is half a century old and nothing has gotten resolved.

Not everybody has a horse in the race, but we've all got a share of owning the track in which both sides come in and trash. Just settle it - legal and safe would be there if those terrible circumstances occur, but don't trivialize it.
                          Correct
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Tom, I did some digging on the SS-N12 antiship missile system and couldn't find any specifics suggesting it could be used v. land targets. Theretically,, yes it could be but from what I could determine it has active terminal guidance that relies on an electronic signature being emitted from the target. One analysis I read said if used on Moskva. the system fires all the tubes at once creating a Salvo of multiple missiles designed to overwhelm a target ship's defenses. I know that the Russian Caliber is a ground target crise missile launchable from multiple air, land and sea based platforms.

Comment

• BTW, I'm overjoyed that Putin has signaled through various diplomatic means that the west continuing to send long range weapons to Ukraine would result in "unpredictable consequences."

Analysts suggest this could mean Russian attacks on convoys in transit from Poland and/or supply points inside Poland or other NATO territories where they could be originating from. There's your match that ignites the deployment of NATO forces - the one thing Putin fears. Go ahead, make my day.

Comment

• Urine Bhcg can be positive 10 days after conception

the sex can be determined immediately for wiz

Comment

Working...
                                X