Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
    It has to do with equity (which I call being fair, and you know what I think of that word). The underlying assumption in Dodd-Frank is that people who were hurt during the housing bust were not responsible for their predicament. D-F bans balloon clauses, teaser rates, and seller financing of residential properties (unless one becomes a "mortgage originator" with all the bureaucracy that entails). So D-F sets so many rules that banker discretion really cannot happen. The rule my friend ran into was that the mortgage has to be free of other security in order to sell it to the government. All this would be moot if the banks had to keep the mortgages that they generate.

Example: When I did a development, I used to sell the bare lot to a builder and take back a mortgage. He would then go to a bank and seek a loan, and the bank would request me to subordinate his debt to me to his debt to the bank. He used my lot as the down payment. Small builders find this attractive.

I cannot see why I am not allowed to do a deal that I have done all my life with a two or three-man building company. This is not charity. Basically, I get a premium for the lot by allowing the builder to use the lot as his down payment. Fair deal. And it works.

But now I have to sell for cash. This doesn't negatively affect Pulte because they have a ton of cash, but it sure does hurt the mom-and-pop builders. I'd rather have four small builders working within a project than one big one. Less risk. I just don't feel it is the government's business to tell me how to market my projects.
    Thanks for the explanation. Certainly it's a goal in plenty of places to allow people to borrow off land ownership. I'd imagine there would be a whole lot of collateral damage if/when Dodd/Frank gets truly implemented fully. I know there are examples with the conflict-minerals section, and the mandatory reporting for extractive section potentially too. I would guess that it's a very blunt instrument compared to what might be available in 10-15 years, once we're more seriously grappling with the problem of what banks have become.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      Trump campaign's SW Ohio operation a total shambles with less than 3 months to go

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ohio/88514306/
      I have said this before, but Trump doesn't even have a campaign. He thinks that he will win the election with the exact same strategy that he used to win the primary.

I also post on a big Rah Rah Trump forum and the place is like mgoblog during the RichRod years. "Don't worry, guys, he's still going to get 400 EVs the polls are all rigged".

Comment

• I think I read that he's setting up a day in Connecticut or something. Every minute he spends outside of the 8ish states he needs to win is wasted and profoundly stupid.

The relative paucity of key states also makes his failure to set up any sort of campaign in at least those states all the more shameful.

This is Thelma and Louise with a considerably less likable protagonist. Shit got wacky but he managed to somehow get by, but the check is coming due. The cliff is rapidly approaching and, as far as I can tell, it's full gas.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Well let's make it happen sooner rather than later. Find an exit strategy and let's move on to real issues, rather than allowing the guy to further debase the process.

Comment

• I listened to Hillary's economic speech today and she brought up some things that I had never really thought of before.

She is proposing, in addition to an exit tax, that companies that move overseas should pay back any monies given to the companies by the US Federal Government before being allowed to leave (including tax breaks). Altering existing contractual or legal positions is nothing new for government. But whether or not it is used as a bar for exiting the country, the idea will have appeal for, say, paying off the national debt. It could become the basis for nationalizing businesses. Once the SC is in her control, there will be no way to stop the government from demanding its "money back".

Comment

• What's sad is we have candidate who's patently corrupt and she's likely to coast to an easy victory because the Republicans nominated a cartoon character who can't stand to have the attention off of himself for more than a day.

Comment

I listened to Hillary's economic speech today and she brought up some things that I had never really thought of before.

She is proposing, in addition to an exit tax, that companies that move overseas should pay back any monies given to the companies by the US Federal Government before being allowed to leave (including tax breaks). Altering existing contractual or legal positions is nothing new for government. But whether or not it is used as a bar for exiting the country, the idea will have appeal for, say, paying off the national debt. It could become the basis for nationalizing businesses. Once the SC is in her control, there will be no way to stop the government from demanding its "money back".
                You mean actual policy talk rather than what Trump is doing this second? Hmmm.

Comment

• Gibberish..

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 36m36 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump alleges that Hillary Clinton is lazy and goes to sleep after speeches. "Remember: short-circuit. Remember that. Short-circuit."
                  15 retweets 23 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 34m34 minutes ago
                  Trump falsely says Clinton's plan includes maybe the biggest tax increase in American history. It's strictly a tax hike on the wealthy.
                  24 retweets 19 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 32m32 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump: "I'm a messenger for common sense."
                  10 retweets 11 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 29m29 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump: "Mexico is one of the great wonders of the world." He regularly suggests that Mexico a better place than America.
                  6 retweets 9 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 28m28 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump: "ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU READY? Who is going to pay for the wall?"

Crowd: "MEXICOOO!"
                  20 retweets 11 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 27m27 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump on Thursday night: Is there any better place to be on Friday night than a Trump rally?
                  35 retweets 57 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 23m23 minutes ago
                  Classic Trump: he specifically says two military planes crashed "three days ago." One crash happened last week, one two weeks ago.
                  7 retweets 7 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 21m21 minutes ago
                  Department of unwanted endorsements: Donald Trump calls Mexican President Enrique Pe?a Nieto an "amazing person."
                  4 retweets 10 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 20m20 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump on the unemployment rate: "The 5% stuff is made up."
                  3 retweets 5 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 19m19 minutes ago
                  Trump falsely says, again, that people who drop out of the labour force are counted as "employed." They're counted as not in labour force.
                  15 retweets 16 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 15m15 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump again contemplating defeat out loud: "Can you imagine losing to her? No, can you imagine? CAN YOU IMAGINE?"
                  13 retweets 17 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 14m14 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump suggests that Hillary Clinton will do anything Barack Obama wants because she knows he can get her arrested.
                  3 retweets 5 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 10m10 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump, playing Bizarro Ross Perot, is holding up various charts.
                  6 retweets 15 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 8m8 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump claims that all the U.S. exports to Japan is "wheat" and "beef." https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/j...rea-apec/japan

22 retweets 23 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 6m6 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump says the attack ads against him are "phony," then says not all of them are phony: "Not 100%. But I'd say 80%."
                  4 retweets 14 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 5m5 minutes ago
                  Donald Trump says he is advised not to comment on attack ads. He says he responds: "Why? I wanna comment!"
                  5 retweets 11 likes

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 2m2 minutes ago
                  This is Donald Trump's new charts routine.

0 retweets 4 likes
                  Reply Retweet
                  Like 4

Daniel Dale
                  ‏@ddale8
                  Donald Trump confuses the day again: "It's Friday night, we're having fun."

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/763877359917359104[/ame]

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/763877678814494720[/ame]

Comment

• Daniel Dale is the ideal beat reporter to cover Trump: he was once on the Rob Ford beat in Toronto.

Comment

I listened to Hillary's economic speech today and she brought up some things that I had never really thought of before.

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for multinationals. Google brags to investors about its global effective tax rate of 6%. Starbucks paid zero in taxes in the UK for something like 8 years. Apple and its patents in Ireland and the Netherlands. They haven't done anything illegal. They've simply pushed the boundaries on legal tax avoidance to an extent that is so offensive that now countries are coming after them hard. If multinationals didn't push so hard to pay so little, the sweet arrangements they now enjoy would probably have lasted a good while longer. But they did wring out every little drop, and people outside the world of tax have taken notice. Check out what's happened to Colgate and Unilever in Mexico, or Starbucks and Google in the UK. and France. Finally, states are bringing guns to a gunfight. The US can do that itself, or lose revenue to more aggressive tax offices.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                            Daniel Dale is the ideal beat reporter to cover Trump: he was once on the Rob Ford beat in Toronto.
                            He's really good.

Comment

• Speaking of Rob Ford, a new video of him smoking crack surfaced today. From the grave! He's like Tupac now.

Comment

• I HATE that fucking family. The absolute worst kind of trough-feeders. Corrupt thugs. There's a nephew on the Toronto schools board now. Doesn't have a college degree. Family of parasites.

Comment

Working...
                                X