Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoss:
    This election will probably be the greatest embarrassment the GOP has suffered in my lifetime. Seeing their party hijacked by a huckster- who may have taken over their party on a lark- then getting clobbered by their most hated foe, for whom they have been preparing to defeat in this battle for over a decade, will be bitterest of pills to swallow.
    True. I remember after 1964, there was only minimal introspection by the R's. But what 1964 gave us was the Great Society and the Vietnam war. These wipeouts elections can be costly in the long run.

Comment

• Let's not forget the D's will be in power for 12 yrs and will view the R's as weak... that they don't matter.

That power will end up corrupting them... and they will get sloppy. It always happens
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
        Well...those would be the jettisoned. There's plenty of principled GOP members who aren't buying the snake oil...whether there's enough, and if so, if they truly absorb the lesson, I don't know

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I think more and more will speak out, but the hate for Hillary is blinding them. jmo

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
          I think more and more will speak out, but the hate for Hillary is blinding them. jmo
          Agree...but maybe attitudes will change after she routs DJT and reality sets in. At that point you can sell change as supporting the party.

What are their options, really? Another eight years of intransigence, with hopes of a different outcome? That hasn't worked. The "Worst president evah!" has kicked them square in the nuts twice, and they are staring down an even worse beating to come.

Maybe I am giving too much credit.

Comment

• In 2008, John McCain openly repudiated his own supporters who used Obama's middle name. That was a year after voting for illegal immigrant amnesty and then going on the campaign trail to defend his vote and after a decade of making a name for himself by bashing Republicans nonstop and siding with the Democrats on almost every issue. (He stil got called a racist endlessly and got totally assraped in the election, of course).

Yessirree that's what those red meat Tea Partiers are asking for! Gotta stop listening to those wackos!

Comment

• Here's John McCain pandering to Tea Partiers... by promising amnesty at a Hispanic rally where he was introduced by a guy speaking Spanish. He even criticized Obama for making it fail!

[youtube]w4_mrkyuVFw[/youtube]

Fuckin right wing wackos costing the Republicans the elections...

Comment

Let's not forget the D's will be in power for 12 yrs and will view the R's as weak... that they don't matter.

That power will end up corrupting them... and they will get sloppy. It always happens
                IDK about sloppy...congress will always be at play, keeping them in-bounds.

What will happen at some point in the next 4-8 years though, is an economic downturn. Those are the ultimate streakbreaker.

Comment

• McCain had a lot of labels put around his neck.. most of which was the result of D machine and party supporters. He was much more of a moderate than the D's suggested. He made a huge mistake with his VP choice... but the D's had him effectively labeled and people just assume R = Racist.

I still remember people talking about his interview on the View (I think that is the show) where Whoppee G. asked him if he was elected President would she be locked in chains. A few yrs later his daughter-in-law is African American.

Comment

• IMHO this is a really good article about the Trump phenomenon and its impending failure entitled "Trump is losing his war on political correctness". There is a slightly anti-Trump tone to it but I agree with most of it. The writer understands the Trump phenomenon.

This worked well for Trump in the Republican primary campaign, where he was able not only to harness the anger at social elites and their Miss Manners lexicological finger-wagging, but also tether it to the feckless political elites he was running to crush. It might have worked in the general election, too, but Trump seems to have gotten inebriated on his own Kool-Aid and decided that he can say anything he wants, anything he feels, and get rewarded for his anti-PC bravery.
                    Edit: That reminds me, I really liked Rudy Guliani. Unfortunately he was 8 years too early.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; August 12, 2016, 02:13 PM.

Comment

He made a huge mistake with his VP choice.
                      Debateable. Polls at the time show that McCain got a pretty big bounce from it. Before that he was getting murdered in fundraising and in the polls. If anything, Palin probably kept him from losing a few red states. if he had gone the "moderate" route then it would have been a Bush/Dukakis style blowout.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; August 12, 2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• I'm confident he could have found other conservatives who would not have damaged his campaign.

Comment

I still remember people talking about his interview on the View (I think that is the show) where Whoppee G. asked him if he was elected President would she be locked in chains. A few yrs later his daughter-in-law is African American.
                          She asked the question of whether slavery might be re-instituted through the prism of McCain?s belief in strict Constitutionalism, i.e., at one point slavery was constitutionally allowed and now is not. Hence, the constitution can be changed, and thus a belief in a strict interpretation of it can be shortsighted.

We could also remember when, during the 2000 GOP primaries, the Bush Campaign made push-calls in the South, telling people McCain had a black child. (He adopted a SE Asian girl, iirc). But yeah....Whoopie Goldberg.

Comment

• Palin didn't damage his campaign. At worst, she maintained it the way it was. The election was Obama's the day that McCain won the nomination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                              She asked the question of whether slavery might be re-instituted through the prism of McCain?s belief in strict Constitutionalism, i.e., at one point slavery was constitutionally allowed and now is not. Hence, the constitution can be changed, and thus a belief in a strict interpretation of it can be shortsighted.
                              LMAO. Tell me again how the Tea Partiers and the Trumpkins are the irrational idiots and how we need to bring civil discourse back into politics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                Palin didn't damage his campaign. At worst, she maintained it the way it was. The election was Obama's the day that McCain won the nomination.

I'm not even sure how to respond.. Palin made McCain's campaign a running joke.

I think when people ask the question will the R's learn from Trump, I think you're answering the question for them.. People equate the R's with the Tea Party and dismiss them. Radical factions won't win elections. Center Right.
                                Last edited by entropy; August 12, 2016, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X