Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix Baumgartner: The best photos and videos from the edge of space
    By Sebastian Anthony on October 15, 2012 at 8:06 am

Yesterday, Felix Baumgartner successfully skydived from 128,100 feet (24.2 miles, 39 kilometers) above Roswell, New Mexico. In doing so, he now holds three world records: The highest manned balloon flight, the highest skydive free fall, and — as confirmed by a Red Bull spokesperson earlier — the first person to break the speed of sound without mechanical aid.

The exact stats of the jump, as measured by Baumgartner’s on-board equipment (but not yet certified by the FAI governing body), are as follows:

Jump altitude: 128,100 feet (24.2mi, 39km, the middle of the stratosphere)
    Free fall distance: 119,846 feet (22.7mi, 36.5km)
    Free fall time: 4 minutes 20 seconds
    Max velocity: 373 meters per second, or 833.9 mph (1342 kph)

That final tidbit is probably the most exciting, as it was completely unexpected. Baumgartner and his Red Bull Stratos team had hoped to break the sound barrier (Mach), and possibly push towards Mach 1.1, but 834 mph is a full 70 mph faster than that (Mach 1.2). In case you were wondering, the speed of sound at sea level is 340 meters per second, or 761 mph — but the speed of sound varies, depending on air temperature and humidity (sound is just another form of energy, after all). In the stratosphere, the speed of sound is nearer 700 mph, or 313 m/s, thus Baumgartner’s max velocity of Mach 1.2.

[youtube]FHtvDA0W34I[/youtube]
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• A neat stunt that took courage by the ton. That said, this was not a leap forward in our understanding of aeronautics or space exploration. He was still 63.5 KM short of the widely accepted Karman line (100KM) where outer space is recognized to exist.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Sean:

Insane race today!
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Insane? Did somebody turn right?

Comment

• great article written this week in Sports Illustrated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206189/index.htm
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• awesome read Ent. Thanks
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• If anyone is in need of some laughs:..

My playoff game will be on Saturday at 1:00 pm at Montrose High School. Montrose is a recent state champion, and they will be hosting Vassar, who is a perennial state playoff qualifier. It should be a good game.

If anyone plans to take in the game, (I have no idea why you would, with the weather forecast) stop by and say hello. If you call me "Liney", I'll know its from the forum, and I'll be glad to stop and talk with you a while. You will have absolutely no problem identifying me.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Congratulations Liney! It's been quite some year for you, starting your own business and all. being your first white hat, reffing your first play-off game, and didn't your son graduate last spring?

Comment

• Yep. The youngest got his degree from U-M last spring.

Comment

• Now if Brady could only beat Urban...

Comment

• Liney...don't blow an IW...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wiz -- If I was still at the "U", I wouldn't even bring a whistle on the field. But these days I'm the LJ. So, I've got to bring the whistle.

There will be no IW's from me. If anything nowadays, I'm getting complaints that I wait too long.

Comment

• I hear that bro...I assembled a high school crew this year to keep busy as I took a year off from the MWC so I could watch my senior daughter's volleyball...and our back judge blew an IW in the second game of the year...I had to get on him pretty good and now he probably waits a bit too long (as do the other guys as they saw my "wrath")...but frankly I would rather it be a little late although you get complaints on that as well. By the way I applied to work the Big 12 and the PAC 12...Big 12 never gave me much interest but I will be working as a sub in the PAC 12 next year...hopefully can get full time the next year...actually think the PAC 12 will be better travel wise as travel west via Denver is easier anyway than east and south with the Big 12...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Hey, good for you. I hope you catch on full time with the Pac 12. Its a great conference, and the perks are great for those guys. Lots of good game destinations. The pay is probably up amongst the best as well.

So, do us college football fans ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, a huge favor. Be the first zebra to toss Lane Kiffin out of a ballgame. Just for general principles.

:-)

Comment

• heh
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X