No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Limbaugh certainly was behind the mass deportation that Trump championed. In fact he ridiculed anyone who said that Trump wasn't serious. Trump ridiculed other candidates in the debates that said correctly that mass deportation wasn't an option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      Anyone here old enough to remember the 68 Presidential Election? ...... Johnson will not accept his parties nomination for a second term, Hubert Humphrey (Johnson's Vice) is nominated in a Democratic Convention in Chicago where protesters were bludgeoned by Chicago Police, Nixon is so far ahead in the polls that he barely campaigns ......

George Wallace emerges as a third party candidate and get's 24% of the Electoral Votes on a much uglier and racist platform then than Trump's is now. In the process, he pulls Southern electoral votes away from Nixon making Humphrey a much more likely winner.

Humphrey nearly beats Nixon and some observers think there was big time vote rigging by Nixon supporters in CA that was the deciding state who's votes were cast early the following morning. There was a lot of talk of that Presidential Election going to the House for a decision.

Wallace gained supporters by creating this illusion of crime and disorder throughout America that was destroying it. He mixed in his racist views in to that illusion to appeal to a broad range of white, southern voters.

Trump is using Wallace's play book. I think this would have been a really interesting election if Trump had been forced to run as a third party candidate increasing the likelihood that this election would get decided in the House.
      PBS had a documentary on this last night. Lemay had some crazy comments that they thought really hurt Humphrey. Humphrey just needed to keep Nixon from 270 and he would have been elected.

Comment

• Trump still isn't ruling out "mass deportation". If you deport 5 million illegal immigrants and ignore the rest, then I would stil call that "mass deportation". If you grant amnesty to a million of them and deport 10 million, that is still "mass deporation". The real question is whether you "hunt" illegal immigrants door-to-door, do some occasional raids, or implement "self deportation'. I have never labored under the illusion that we would send squads knocking on doors.

Comment

• What if they were squads looking for Ohio State fans? We could all support that, right?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• SLF:

Replying to your "question".

First, I agree with Talent about the cost of goods.

1. The article completely ignores globalization. I'd argue that corporations being able to transfer production to foreign countries have had a substantial downward effect on wages. This is particularly so in the demographic of non-college educated laborers.

2. Since 1979, there has also been a transfer of production within the states, largely from unionized states to right to work states. This has depressed wages, particularly in the unionized states.

3. The type of jobs that the article deals with are exactly the sort of jobs that lend themselves to robotics.

4. Any article that is about "if this" or "if that" from 37 years ago might be a stretch. Using 1979 as the comparison year makes it obvious that the writers have an opinion and are searching for facts to support it.

SLF, I'd now present you a challenge. Please find anywhere I have said that I in any way oppose private sector unions. I don't. I agree that private sector unions may make wages move more slowing downward. A lot has happened in the last 37 years to affect wages. Michigan is now third in growth of personal income (inflation adjusted) and third in general growth of state GDP subsequent to becoming a right-to-work state (admittedly coming from the baseline of the economic disaster that was the Granholm administration).

You know, SLF, if the dog hadn't stopped to take a shit he would have caught the rabbit.
            Last edited by Da Geezer; August 30, 2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Anyone here old enough to remember the 68 Presidential Election? ...... Johnson will not accept his parties nomination for a second term, Hubert Humphrey (Johnson's Vice) is nominated in a Democratic Convention in Chicago where protesters were bludgeoned by Chicago Police, Nixon is so far ahead in the polls that he barely campaigns ......
              I am. And I was one of the protesters in Grant Park in front of the Conrad Hilton.

I will always believe that today's protesters are jealous of those who, in 1968, had a real issue (Vietnam and the draft) to protest.

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• "1. The article completely ignores globalization. "

from the article as opposed to the study itself:

The report argues the dwindling influence of unions is a significant but often ignored reason for wage stagnation, along with globalization, technological change and the slowdown in educational achievement gains.

eyesight failing you old man?

And it was me who posted the article, not SLF.

Comment

• eyesight failing you old man?

And it was me who posted the article, not SLF.
                    evidently so as to eyesight. Beggin your pardon. I get you and SLF confused. Elderly lawyers and all that.

Comment

• Trump to meet with Mexican President on Wednesday before his immigration speech in Phoenix.
                      Last edited by Da Geezer; August 30, 2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• Elderly? Wtf? I'm only 43. I gots a few more years left.
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Jesus Geezer can't you get ANYTHING right?

Comment

• Elderly? Wtf? I'm only 43. I gots a few more years left.
                            Wait a minute! Wait just a minute! SLF, I have your billing records right here.......and if you add up the time on the bills ......they show you are 71.

Comment

• That joke is as old as you Geezer and smells as bad!

Comment

• heh...

Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X