No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump promised to drain the swamp...but he's appointing lobbyists and Wall Street financiers

Comment

• Check this quote out:

“I can take glee in that -- I think Donald Trump conned them,” said Tilson, who runs Kase Capital Management. “I worried that he was going to do crazy things that would blow the system up. So the fact that he’s appointing people from within the system is a good thing.”

Michael Lewis is probably already prepping for the next epic book about the next crash on Wall Street. Drain the swamp, hahah, you got punked.

Comment

• The fervent "Build That Wall", "Trump that Bitch" and "Lock Her Up" crowd don't give a shit. Trump will keep pointing at some new person/group to blame or a new ridiculous conspiracy to get these people riled up. They won't believe the "liberal media" reporting on issues that should concern them,, like the huge conflicts of interest. All the while a bunch of them will end up losing their healthcare, the high paying manufacturing jobs won't come back and Trump will continue to populate his cabinet with Washington swamp and Wall Street insiders topped off with a dash of hawkish war-mongerers and climate change deniers.

Comment

• With buy-in from Donald Trump’s transition team, GOP leaders on both sides of the Capitol are coalescing around a plan to vote to repeal the law in early 2017 — but delay the effective date for that repeal for as long as three years.

Comment

• I love Michael Lewis. It would be great to have him apply his talents to a very hard and specific look at the Wall St/DC revolving door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
              The fervent "Build That Wall", "Trump that Bitch" and "Lock Her Up" crowd don't give a shit. Trump will keep pointing at some new person/group to blame or a new ridiculous conspiracy to get these people riled up. They won't believe the "liberal media" reporting on issues that should concern them,, like the huge conflicts of interest. All the while a bunch of them will end up losing their healthcare, the high paying manufacturing jobs won't come back and Trump will continue to populate his cabinet with Washington swamp and Wall Street insiders topped off with a dash of hawkish war-mongerers and climate change deniers.

Yep, 100 percent correct. That's what so damaging. A bumbling Presidency of George W. Bush was bad enough, but as bad as that was there was an attempt to argue for his policies on facts. I'm not sure that facts matter anymore, Pelosi and company think the GOP is going to implode by ramming through unpopular legislation like gutting medicare, medicaid and the ACA like W did trying to privatize social security. I'm not sure that will replay the same way with the Carnival Barker and his Twitter Machine.

Comment

• Well, if you boys are right about what the Rs will pass, then I'm quite certain they'll get throttled.

I don't subscribe to a massively stupid electorate though, of course, the Ds continued tremendous success with identity politic "groups" suggests otherwise.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I guess it all depends on if they get rid of the filibuster. They can't get rid of a lot of stuff with it in place. If Ryan gets his Randian way, all three are gone.

Comment

• It's a whole lot easier to be smart when all one is trying to do is to spot a problem. Picking the right solution is when you go from smart to stupid. That's much more difficult, whether you are a random heartland voter or one of history's leading political thinkers.

Comment

• as bad as that was there was an attempt to argue for his policies on facts.

It is sad that making up shit on WMD in Iraq now passes for that, but, in the end, you're right. What we have now is a specific approach driven to its logical extreme.

Comment

• I guess it all depends on if they get rid of the filibuster. They can't get rid of a lot of stuff with it in place. If Ryan gets his Randian way, all three are gone.
                        I don't see it happening, but Harry Reid certainly opened that door, didn't he?

I'm not sure legislation should require a supermajority, but it's a nice check, so I hope they keep it. I do think they ought to get rid of it for all appointments. It's nice that it's gone for non-SupCt judges, but I'd go further.

In any event, it's there. The Ds will have to pick their fights in the Senate. A quick looksy at the 2018 Senate races shows that a fair number of Ds are up in states that Trump won by 20 points or more. Meanwhile, the Rs are only running 6 or 7 for reelection. It's an ugly, ugly map for Ds that ought to suggest prudence in filibustering -- and that would be good, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...replace-232025

With buy-in from Donald Trump?s transition team, GOP leaders on both sides of the Capitol are coalescing around a plan to vote to repeal the law in early 2017 ? but delay the effective date for that repeal for as long as three years.
                          Well, maybe we can have a real discussion on healthcare now that Republicans have some skin in the game. If it was just a "bad bill" as they stated back in 2010...here's your chance to to provide a good one. The clock starts in January.

Comment

• I think they will get rid of the filibuster.

Comment

• I don't subscribe to a massively stupid electorate though, of course, the Ds continued tremendous success with identity politic "groups" suggests otherwise.
                              Heh. I think the DNC chair is to be picked today. If Ellison wins I suspect we will start to hear about reparations and the blacks having their own country, as he has proposed. On the other hand, he did say that the new state should be in the SE US, and that would solve UM's football playoff problem.

Comment

• Well, maybe we can have a real discussion on healthcare now that Republicans have some skin in the game. If it was just a "bad bill" as they stated back in 2010...here's your chance to to provide a good one. The clock starts in January.
                                Correct. It has to be repeal AND REPLACE.

Personally, I think the Ds should pick their spots, but by and large see what the Rs can do and make sure THEY OWN IT.

Comment

Working...
                                X