Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If so, that would be quite the break from tradition.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• No one seems to understand that Ohio State's offense has significant scaling issues in terms of converting yards into points. They score TDs against shitty defenses. But even a modest decrease in their YPA results in FGs instead of TDs. That's why Ohio State didn't beat Penn State 52-24 and didn't beat UNL 38-17. And that's going to be a huge problem against M.

The defense is still bad. I mean bad.

They're going to have to outscore Sparty. I do think Sparty has defensive ineffiencies that make it possible for Ohio State to do so. Like, I can see Ohio State winning 45-38.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        I was right on more than just that.
        He's not particularly right about Ohio State's offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          If so, that would be quite the break from tradition.
          More disrespect. I expect that from a guy like Fancy Stats Buchanan.

Comment

• Froot, truth is not disrespect. Also, I’m holding you responsible for keeping Mel Tucker up north. I don’t need LSU having a competent coach.

I also hope Hugh Freeze is happy being a big fish in a small fundamentalist pond and if I can get Lane to take the Miami job, I would be thrilled. That is all.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Don't hold me responsible. I don't have the cash to keep Tucker from LSU. Ishbia might however.

Comment

• Unacceptable!

Comment

• The defense is still bad. I mean bad.
                  No. Just no.

A team with 9 wins against the schedule that they have played does not have a "bad" defense. They may have some issues, as opposed to previous teams, but they are not bad. A 7 point loss to the #3 team in the country does not qualify as a bad loss.

They don't have a slam-the-door defense like they've had in previous years, but they have an offense that can score 70 if they choose to. And oh yes, they found a guy who can run the ball yesterday. Who'd have thunk it?

They're right on schedule for another conference championship and playoff run. The sky is not falling. Its probably just snow. That's normal for November in Columbus. Just like winning Big Ten championships.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Well, I mean...they found a guy who could run the ball awhile ago.

Comment

• Your fellas were going to corral him and stop the big play. That's what fancy stats told you.
                      Fancy stats predicted an M win not that M would "Corral KWIII and stop big plays." McDonald previewed a switch in scheme v. NfW and tried to fully implement it v. MSU. He put 6 defenders on the LOS, brought his normal C2Hi where M's Ss play a bit deeper up closer to the LOS, double covered Nailor (Reed had the most targets) big plays from those two were limited. His scheme to defend Walker was a failure - note it was gone v IU and PSU.

The big play problem from KWIII resulted from two coaching errors: McDonld's new scheme. It was ill-suited to MSU's run offense that day. Once the MSU OL slipped Walker through to the second level, he was gone because the Ss were filling the wrong gaps, these deceptively facilitated by the OL blocking scheme. Failing to adjust to MSU's tempo. Those errors made M's run defense uncharacteristically exploitable.

Tucker did a great job repeatedly hammering those errors and M did a very poor job of making adjustments, especially at the half. KWIII's great game v. M's run D was a 3 standard deviation occurrence from M's run D norm statistically speaking. Variance will do that which is why fancy stats, while they can render an objective way to predict an outcome of a football game, it's only a frame of reference, that outcome subject to variance - that was a key factor in M's loss and I can list at least a half dozen events or plays that were out of the norm.

​​​​​​They're going to have to outscore Sparty. I do think Sparty has defensive ineffiencies that make it possible for Ohio State to do so. Like, I can see Ohio State winning 45-38.
                      So, a shootout then? If it turns into that, OSU will win. ESPN's FPI predicts OSU with an 85% win probability.......and TBH, I don't think you are sandbagging in your assessment of OSU's D. MSU will pile up some yardage but Stroud and his receivers will make the big plays when it counts. Mark it down.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        No one seems to understand that Ohio State's offense has significant scaling issues in terms of converting yards into points. They score TDs against shitty defenses. But even a modest decrease in their YPA results in FGs instead of TDs. That's why Ohio State didn't beat Penn State 52-24 and didn't beat UNL 38-17. And that's going to be a huge problem against M.

The defense is still bad. I mean bad.

They're going to have to outscore Sparty. I do think Sparty has defensive ineffiencies that make it possible for Ohio State to do so. Like, I can see Ohio State winning 45-38.
                        MSU’s pass defense sucks. OSU will score at least in the high 40s. MSU will be able to answer occasionally, but they won’t keep pace.

Comment

• Depends if Sparty can get the replay officials to take a TD off the board and hold Buckeye receivers like they did M. Then then might be able to hold them to under 40.

Yet the Buckeyes coaching staff won't get caught substituting on defense six times, about 4 of them were big plays that were critical to a TD drive and two were actual TD's.

I wasn't impressed with Sparty offensively, I don't think they'll score the 25+ points they'll need. I also wasn't overly impressed with their defense, M had drops, execution errors, untimely penalties and had a very brutal uncalled holding penalty. All of the above killed drives that resulted in punts, FG's that could've been TD's.

Buckeyes 35, Sparty 20.

Comment

• I think Sparty is going to get reamed, something along 45-17. If osu spies a LB on KWIII, it could be worse. I'm hoping for a very physical game with lots of players limping off the field.
                            I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                              Depends if Sparty can get the replay officials to take a TD off the board and hold Buckeye receivers like they did M. Then then might be able to hold them to under 40.

Yet the Buckeyes coaching staff won't get caught substituting on defense six times, about 4 of them were big plays that were critical to a TD drive and two were actual TD's.

I wasn't impressed with Sparty offensively, I don't think they'll score the 25+ points they'll need. I also wasn't overly impressed with their defense, M had drops, execution errors, untimely penalties and had a very brutal uncalled holding penalty. All of the above killed drives that resulted in punts, FG's that could've been TD's.

Buckeyes 35, Sparty 20.
                              I do agree with your assessment that M's offense is considerably better than Ohio State's.

Comment

• Sparty hasn't been in front of a crowd like they'll see on Saturday. Its going to be red everywhere, with the savages calling for the blood of anything with "Michigan" in it. Just because they carry "state" in their name won't diminish what they're going to face in Columbus on Saturday. All those MSU transfers that played at other places have seen absolutely nothing like it.

Competitively, OSU has done nothing but get better ever since their Oregon loss. Yea, they 'struggled' against some opponents, but they haven't truly been in any real danger of losing another game since. They haven't had to fight to the end to close out any games, like Michigan has. MSU will probably pop a couple decent runs, but they can't stop the passing machine they are going to face, and they've seen absolutely nothing like the game atmosphere they're going to be facing.

If they think they "get no respect" from Michigan, they ain't seen nothing yet. They will face real, palpable hate in Columbus. And they'll get laughed at if they complain about "no respect".

I think OSU treats this as a tune-up for the following week, and will lay upwards of +48 points on MSU. Stroud and Olave are already smiling at what they intend to do to Sparty. I think they might give up about 20 if they're struggling a bit on defense, but I don't see that happening. CRD is the best coach in the B1G in getting his team ready to play. He'll do it again on Saturday.

OSU 52
                                MSU 17
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X