Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are so much easier and fun when there's no pretense; just hate and pure sass. It's the OP approach. Sensible.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      Yeah, I can imagine that's how it went. Urban approached Michigan when he heard that LLLLLLoyd was quitting, and after a background check, Bill Martin determined he didn't meet Michigan's high standards of character. After narrowing it down to Les Miles and Rich Rod, Martin went with Rich Rod the underdog after LLLLLLoyd sabotaged Les' chances.

High moral character indeed
      I personally would have loved to have had him then. But now it's both fun and easy to look down on the Golden Bobcats for hiring him.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
        I've always disliked Miles since he's been at LSU, never wanted him as M's coach...

Meyer? Back in '06-'07 when I noticed M's incoming talent was dropping and the offensive schemes went ultra conservative; I was hoping Lloyd would call it a career and Urban was my coach I hoped would succeed Carr. I have little doubt, Urban will continue what JT did; he's even got the lying part down.
        WM-

You're a stand-up guy and I take you at your word that you never wanted Miles. But the Michigan fanbase as a whole would've happily taken him in either 2007 or 2010. His record of personal behavior and kids getting into trouble is certainly not that of a saint. Yet most Wolverines would've been delighted to have him. He was certainly a more popular choice in 2010 than Hoke (MGoBlog was particularly nasty about the Hoke hiring).

Hack-

Something that's funny about this squawking over the Florida arrest record is that at the time Michigan hired Rich Rod, West Virginia had acquired quite a police blotter. Chris Henry (RIP) and PacMan Jones being two of the most prominent of Rich Rod's boys.

Comment

• I would have preferred Miles too, on the assumption that coaches who come to A2 understand the culture in which they are working and the parameters of what is acceptable.

Comment

• Golden Bobcats

heh

I like that

Michigan fans would have been ecstatic if Meyer had been hired in 2007/2008 just as they would have thrown a party over Les Miles in 07 or 2010. Saying otherwise is a sanctimonious lie
            I'll be glad to admit I was one of those Michigan fans who wished back then for UFM to succeed Lloyd as HC at Michigan. If it had been possible to go back and retrieve info from the archives of the old Worldcrossing website, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have wished back then for Meyer to someday coach for us. In retrospect, it goes to show, I guess, that you should be careful what you wish for. Just like Bianchi, I didn't know then what I know now about Urban.

But to the typical ohio fan, the knowledge of Urban's past sins doesn't matter---Like Liney often posts, only "win, baby, win" at all costs is what matters in the cesspool. And like we all know---and this includes you---regardless of whatever methods that are employed by the head coach at ohio, all is forgiven if the hope and/or reality exists of annually beating Michigan and winning titles.

(edit: my days of wishing for Urban as HC were while he was at BGU and later Utah. By the time of Lloyd's retirement, I had formed a different opinion of Urban and no longer favored his hiring)
            Last edited by Rob F; February 21, 2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
              Golden Bobcats

heh

I like that

I'll be glad to admit I was one of those Michigan fans who wished back then for UFM to succeed Lloyd as HC at Michigan. If it had been possible to go back and retrieve info from the archives of the old Worldcrossing website, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have wished back then for Meyer to someday coach for us. In retrospect, it goes to show, I guess, that you should be careful what you wish for. Just like Bianchi, I didn't know then what I know now about Urban.

But to the typical ohio fan, the knowledge of Urban's past sins doesn't matter---Like Liney often posts, only "win, baby, win" at all costs is what matters in the cesspool. And like we all know---and this includes you---regardless of whatever methods that are employed by the head coach at ohio, all is forgiven if the hope and/or reality exists of annually beating Michigan and winning titles.
              Rob-

Michigan was going in the "win at all costs" direction when they hired Rich Rod, weren't they? They thought that they were hiring a sure winner, one who was going to revolutionize play in the Big10, and didn't seem to care very much about his players getting into lots of trouble or his graduation rates. None of that was exactly stuff that only came out after the fact.

I also recall a lot of the stories that came out about Rich Rod from the West Virginia side after he had "betrayed" them. Remember the stories about him shredding all his files? Or that he was sleeping with a cheerleader? Did we ever get much proof of that? Maybe keep it in mind when you read columns from a homer Florida mouthpiece.

Comment

• You couldn't be more wrong with that first paragraph...

Comment

• Afaik, Henry and PacMan got into trouble after their playing days. But nonetheless, RichRod didn't fit the culture at Michigan, and never got the Michigan Man. So using him as an example probably doesn't fit your argument as well as you think it does.
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• All I'm saying is that the fact that Michigan hired Rich Rod, tried to hire Les Miles TWICE, and would have happily hired Urban Meyer at any point from 2006-2011, sort of defeats today's hypothesis that Michigan is much more choosy about its head coach being "virtuous" than Ohio State.

Comment

• LOL. There's zero question about that, DSL. Just sit back quietly and chuckle at the entire charade. It's good entertainment.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        Rob-

Michigan was going in the "win at all costs" direction when they hired Rich Rod, weren't they? They thought that they were hiring a sure winner, one who was going to revolutionize play in the Big10, and didn't seem to care very much about his players getting into lots of trouble or his graduation rates. None of that was exactly stuff that only came out after the fact.

I also recall a lot of the stories that came out about Rich Rod from the West Virginia side after he had "betrayed" them. Remember the stories about him shredding all his files? Or that he was sleeping with a cheerleader? Did we ever get much proof of that? Maybe keep it in mind when you read columns from a homer Florida mouthpiece.
                        If you're counting me among those who favored hiring either Miles or Richrod, you've got that wrong---I had misgivings about both of them from the start.

I had heard years ago from informed sources (one a high school friend who went on to graduate from U of M and knew Miles personally while he was there, the other a lawyer who had been a U of M baseball player at the same time Miles was a student-athlete) about some of the skeletons allegedly in Miles closet.

And RichRod? No, I didn't know anything prior to his hiring of the rumors of which you reminded me, but yet the hiring didn't impress---i wanted Harbaugh already back then. Oh---and the "shredding files" thing as he left WVa? Every thing I've read since points to it being things of "benign" nature that he was shredding---but believe what you will.

Comment

• DB did NOT want Miles, he was only appeases the factions by interviewing him.

Comment

• Michigan never tried to hire Miles. That's pretty well been established.

I do think Meyer would have been welcomed with open arms. I think he would have rubbed people the wrong way and had many of the same troubles as RichRod.

I would dislike Santa if he coached at OSU, but Meyer has made it much easier for me than the sweatervest.
                            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Meyer would've brought in elite recruits with him unlike RR who didn't recruit at a high enough level. He'd have won games, which is all that matters to the masses.

Comment

• The process that resulted in the hiring of Rich Rodriguez was the most colossal fuck-up in Michigan football history.

No, the "M fanbase" you're talking to hear did not want Les Miles as HC at Michigan. This group may not know everything but as an informed slice of M fans, there isn't a better source or measure of what's going on and going down.

I was among the hire ufm crowd after LC's M team got hammered by Oregon. He's a great coach and a better recuriter. He has flaws and track record that, like Les Miles, the deciders at M would never have given him the keys to Schembechler Hall.

osu can have him. He's a good following act for jt for all the reasons already mentioned. In fact, he's a perfect cultural fit .... and can anyone tell me why gene smith still has a job? No? This makes my point about cultural fit crystal clear for even the most imbecilic osu fan.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X