Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike,

I hear you. Here’s my take, hopefully more succinctly explained:

So, Michigan and Michigan State have only two common conference opponents. Since both you are both undefeated, I know the end results are the same and looking it up it appears that both were played at different venues, and weeks apart.

See, I just don’t think that has what researchers call significant power and that’s why midseason I would never consider limiting the datasets (because the datasets have different variables and combined with the tiny population it renders them essentially meaningless).

Anyway, anything can happen in a single game, but I would be somewhat shocked if the Spartans win. With Alabama on a bye, I am looking forward to watching it. That game and Ole Miss-Auburn will be what I watch. Well, that and the World Series.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• .........(because the datasets have different variables and combined with the tiny population it renders them essentially meaningless).
      Not completely though. I'll paraphrase you, "(fancy) stats provide a frame of reference."

I saw a lot of these today. I'm not sure if they are meaningless or meaningful but I do know they are suggestive of strengths and weaknesses of both teams. To me, there's no clear statistical advantage for either team in this game both for your particular view of their value and mine that tends to see raw stats in context.

What I don't see though is your take along with Wiz and Talent's takes that M is going to roll into EL and ass-rape Sparty. Linesman and I agree this will be a close game with a margin for the winner of 3-4 points. I think, and I believe Linesman agrees, MSU comes out on top in this circumstance but that's just the two of us being doubting M fans. Justifiably I might add. The point is however, you three are wildly overestimating HARBAUGH!!!
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• M has been in the cauldron. They've answered questions against good teams in tough spots. They have a proven death machine. Sparty has yet to really have to do that (depending on what you think of Miami). And, in fact, more of their closer games raise way more questions than provide solace.

For that matter, Ohio State has been up against a decent team exactly once all year and folded like a tent. And beating a bunch of shitty/crippled teams doesn't change that. As I said, if the offense can score a fuckton against Penn State -- especially if they can pass -- then I'll probably start getting to the point where I think the offense, at least, can play against a pretty good defense. That is still very much an open question.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The point is however, you three are wildly overestimating HARBAUGH!!!
          Or, they are mocking us, knowing that Harbaugh at Michigan is still hanging by a thread, and there is still plenty of time to mess this thing up.

Harbaugh hasn't separated himself into the elite areas of CFB coaches. He's done nothing at Michigan to deserve that praise. They know it. We know it. This is their way of piling on with the unrealized expectations we all had for him.

If Michigan gets another 60 point thrashing at the hands of OSU again, his derriere becomes red hot again. That can still happen no matter what has happened so far.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Sandbagging of sandbagging sandbaggery...

...now I've seen it all...
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Not completely though. I'll paraphrase you, "(fancy) stats provide a frame of reference."

I saw a lot of these today. I'm not sure if they are meaningless or meaningful but I do know they are suggestive of strengths and weaknesses of both teams. To me, there's no clear statistical advantage for either team in this game both for your particular view of their value and mine that tends to see raw stats in context.

What I don't see though is your take along with Wiz and Talent's takes that M is going to roll into EL and ass-rape Sparty. Linesman and I agree this will be a close game with a margin for the winner of 3-4 points. I think, and I believe Linesman agrees, MSU comes out on top in this circumstance but that's just the two of us being doubting M fans. Justifiably I might add. The point is however, you three are wildly overestimating HARBAUGH!!!

The better frame (IMO) is to look at the entire body of work as long as the SoS is comparable. Narrowing the scope with limited sets tends to lead you astray.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                Sandbagging of sandbagging sandbaggery...

...now I've seen it all...
                You need to refocus your efforts on making wings .. so that you can be the 9th best in Nebraska next year. You can do it, Wiz. I know you can.

Comment

• Talent is disrepecting Mel Tucker

Comment

• Only vis-a-vis HARBAUGH!!!!!

My opinion that Sparty gets CRD this season remains unchanged. Perhaps a shockingly good performance against Penn State will change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

You need to refocus your efforts on making wings .. so that you can be the 9th best in Nebraska next year. You can do it, Wiz. I know you can.
                      You like me! You really really like me!
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I wouldn't go that far ....

Comment

• LAIR!!!
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The Mighty Goofer is sort of lurking in the B10 West. They have nFw this week in the Evanston snakepit then they host Bert and his ground and pound Illini. They probably should win both of those games, which would set up a showdown game in Iowa City. Then again, they did lose to Bowling Green -- mostly because Tanner Morgan was total ass and Fleck went for on 4th down from his own 24. But, still, they're certainly capable of losing to anyone -- well, probably not UNL, but almost anyone.

Comment

• Bastardo
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                The Mighty Goofer is sort of lurking in the B10 West. They have nFw this week in the Evanston snakepit then they host Bert and his ground and pound Illini. They probably should win both of those games, which would set up a showdown game in Iowa City. Then again, they did lose to Bowling Green -- mostly because Tanner Morgan was total ass and Fleck went for on 4th down from his own 24. But, still, they're certainly capable of losing to anyone -- well, probably not UNL, but almost anyone.
                                And in a demonstration of just how bad that loss was for the Goofs, Bowling Green has lost every game they've played since. Including to the Mighty Zips and Golden Flashes

Comment

Working...
                                X