This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
    I don't care if they end up outside the top 5. They've been outside the top five on the composite every year except 1 in the entire 2000's. But they've found a way to beat OSU the last 2 years, and win BTB B1G titles. I can take that.

Nobody north of Mason Dixon recruits better than osu. That's a given. But now the question is beginning to be, how can a team with so much talent have so little to show for it? Shouldn't there be more than 2 national titles in the 2000's by now?

Jim Tressel was a highly successful recruiter. As was Urban Meyer. Now, CRD has picked up where Urban left off. Year after year of top five composites, since 2000, and only 2 national titles to show for it. Seems like they'd be right alongside Alabama, Clemson and Georgia when it comes to NC's.

But no. Lowly Michigan, with horrible recruiting, has been the stopper the last two years, and since 2014, its been Bama, Clemson or Georgia that has stood in the way.

Well, let’s not turn the page on CRD just yet. He's got scads of talent, both usable and disposable, and I'm sure he's going to hang that hundred on Michigan any time now. Perhaps this year in Ann Arbor. it’s just a matter of time. You can't beat great talent forever.
    It’s great that you don’t care if M has a monster class/finish in top 5. My comment was limited to recruiting and specifically to whether M would have a monster 2024 class. At least that post isn’t taking about how the Class of 24 will help in AA next year.

So, yeah….you ain’t even remotely fucking talking about the one thing I said. One obvious, impossible to misunderstand thing I said. In fact, you say you don’t care. Quite the dialogue.

Good times,

But, yeah, Ohio State sucks. So does CRD. Is what it is.
    Last edited by iam416; February 22, 2023, 09:43 PM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Also, Ohio State ain’t landing a monster class this year, either. Unless you’re Georgia or Alabama or maybe USC or some other SEC school or southern school that is fully committed to NIL, you’ll be outside the top 5.

OSU was #5 for 2023 and I didn’t think it was a “monster class.”

Comment

• I guess my point about a 'monster class' is that Michigan hasn't needed one to do nearly everything they've wanted to do. Yea, the playoff appearances have totally sucked, but Michigan got there without years and years of consensus Top Five classes.

So if '24 isn't a 'monster' class, then so what? If they fill needs via recruiting, and play the portal the way they have the past 2-3 years, they'll be fine, and likely be very competitive.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I understand your point, Liney, but it's an odd one in the context of the converstation. I mean, it's odd to say "who cares about the topic of the conversation." But, I don't disagree with your point as far as winning the B10 goes. You do need "monster" classes if you want to win a CFP, and M is still a long way from that.

And per Big J, if the standard for "monster class" is whatever you think a monster class is subjectively, that's fine. But, "I know it when I see it, and I'll let you know if I see it" isn't much of a standard. As far as the '22 class, that's still very much TBD. Will Johnson can obviously play, but that only supports the notion that, yeah, really highly ranked kids can play. And in no world do I see M's '22 class as being even comparable to Georgia or UAT's '22 classes.

Comment

• Yeah, we’ll see how those kids do.

And I agree recruiting certainly used to be about relationships, but that’s not going to be the case as much going forward. Hell, OSU lost two super elite kids who loved OSU but NIL. Miracle they didn’t lose Innis.

But I just don’t see non-NIL schools putting together elite classes. Not under current “rules.”

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Yeah, we’ll see how those kids do.

And I agree recruiting certainly used to be about relationships, but that’s not going to be the case as much going forward. Hell, OSU lost two super elite kids who loved OSU but NIL. Miracle they didn’t lose Innis.

But I just don’t see non-NIL schools putting together elite classes. Not under current “rules.”
              IF I was a team that didn't have a great NIL, what I would do is have a ton of GAs and interns watching the games of those freshmen nd RS Sophmores that we were very close to signing in recruiting/would have filled a big need on the roster. And putting together tape of them in case they entered the portal. I would put together the best staff I could afford and use that along with potential PT to recruit the hell out of those in the transfer portal.

NIL is great but PT/ability of staff to get players to the NFL would probably weigh more in the portal (I think).
              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Yeah, you gotta work the portal, but then you also have to balance that with the pissing off kids who have waited their turn.

HARBAUGH!!!! has done well in the portal. I actually like what Ohio State did, too. Both sort of took a controlled "value" approach as opposed to trying to bring a ton of people.

It's just a completely different landscape, and it's one that helps M for no other reason than it hurts Ohio State more than it hurts M. Ohio State was recruiting on par w/ Georgia and Alabama. They're going drop off considerably. HARBAUGH!!! was around that second-tier level -- 8-12ish and that's where they will probably still be.

Comment

But, yeah, Ohio State sucks. So does CRD. Is what it is.
                  Ohio State has always sucked.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• If Davis commits soon I think we have a great chance at a top 5 class
                    New QB coach Kirk Campbell is meeting him next week in person, they have been talking. My bet is he goes to "The Ohio State". Campbell has been reaching out to others, no need to all eggs in one basket.

Comment

• Nah. He'll commit to M, probably. Then it'll be a battle to keep him -- and I'd put it at roughly 60% they do.

Raiola really hosed OSU. Heh. Davis was all Buckeye if they wanted him. But why would take him when you had Raiola? Such is life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big J
                        Well I believe Michigan will have a monster class. We already have a several top prospects with Michigan at the top right now, we have an elite staff with a few elite recruiters, coming off back to back playoff teams with another on the way, as long as Minter doesn't get the Eagles job then Michigan has no significate coaching or recruiting turnover. If Davis commits soon i think we have a great chance at a top 5 class.

i am not concerned with what you think is a monster class. I called the 2022 a monster class for Michigan and they were 9th. They had a ton of true freshman not only see the field but look like they were ready to play at a power 5 level. This with the returning team we had tells you how good that class was.
                        How about we just define a "monster class" as a top-five class?

I think Talent is right about multiple monster classes being needed to compete for the National Championship. And it is becoming evident that NIL money is not only relevant but necessary.

Comment

Yeah, you gotta work the portal, but then you also have to balance that with the pissing off kids who have waited their turn.

HARBAUGH!!!! has done well in the portal. I actually like what Ohio State did, too. Both sort of took a controlled "value" approach as opposed to trying to bring a ton of people.

It's just a completely different landscape, and it's one that helps M for no other reason than it hurts Ohio State more than it hurts M. Ohio State was recruiting on par w/ Georgia and Alabama. They're going drop off considerably. HARBAUGH!!! was around that second-tier level -- 8-12ish and that's where they will probably still be.
                          You know, maybe this EQUITY bullshit has some merit!

Comment

• I'll see you in hell, Geezer.

Comment

• Hell hath no fury like Geezer scorned...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Yeah....NO. But, whatever. I don't have time for another round of "OSU is so dirty" bullshit. Whatever.

Who is Igibunson?

Comment

Working...
                                X