Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    Yeah, but Alabama has been cleaning up for 15 years with recruiting. I don’t think it’s really outside the norm with us.

1. Alabama 94.76
    2. Georgia 93.64
    3. Texas 92.82
    4. Miami 92.24
    5. Ohio State 93.57

Texas and Miami made huge leaps. Them in the top 5 is curious and NIL is def a part of it. I have no idea if they are recruiting with it but the Canes probably are - and I haven’t considered the Canes’ fanbase strong since the 80’s. Maybe there is a resurgence?

And the Buckeyes only offered 20 (lowest in the top 10). Are your numbers bad or are you waiting for second signing?
    They had 23. A RB flipped to Miami a few weeks ago. A CB to Auburn today. And an S to Miami or Georgia. And were in on two elite DEs that went to Georgia and Oregon. And they’re at 85. They didn’t have 15 kids leave (yet).

I’m happy OSU held on to as many kids as they did. But, they were getting hurt by NIL. It is a good solid class, but a little below where they’ve been.

Alabama was obviously not hurt by NIL.

Miami is a trash fucking program throwing around big upfront money. Enjoy the crowds of 7,900 in Ft. Lauderdale. Oregon? They’re usually good for one or two big recruits—what they did today? LOL. And the SEC was never gonna be behind on NIL. NEV. ER.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Why would you put fetishes in quotes? Are you saying it’s not really a fetish?
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You tell me...you are making me more nervous....
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wait, real lard or Crisco?
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Real. Duh.

Comment

• What Talent said. An alleged "Southern man" would use Crisco? Guffaw.
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• What's next...instant grits?
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

They had 23. A RB flipped to Miami a few weeks ago. A CB to Auburn today. And an S to Miami or Georgia. And were in on two elite DEs that went to Georgia and Oregon. And they’re at 85. They didn’t have 15 kids leave (yet).

I’m happy OSU held on to as many kids as they did. But, they were getting hurt by NIL. It is a good solid class, but a little below where they’ve been.

Alabama was obviously not hurt by NIL.

Miami is a trash fucking program throwing around big upfront money. Enjoy the crowds of 7,900 in Ft. Lauderdale. Oregon? They’re usually good for one or two big recruits—what they did today? LOL. And the SEC was never gonna be behind on NIL. NEV. ER.
                  OSU had a solid class. With higher total recruits your average would have you fighting with Georgia for #2.

We had 15 kids portal out. I was kinda shocked at the number. We have never had that many. A kid who has started on our O-line for TWO straight years went to Miami. Heh. We had a kid who went to LSU, 2 to TCU, and 2 to Oregon. There are others, but the funny thing about these 6 gentlemen is they entered the portal and had a named team within a couple of days.

Comment

• I wish you would enter the forum portal and leave.
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• We will. I’m waiting on a NIL deal from Glenfiddich. Talent is waiting on one from Malort.

Comment

• I'll pay you both a dozen of my wings and a 6-pack of busch light to go away...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Done

Comment

• Jayden Bonsu apparently did not flip to Miami. So, that probably illustrates where Ohio State is. Bonsu is a low 4* Safety. Nice prospect. But, more or less, fungible as far as Ohio State goes. I mean, he's in the bottom 5 rated recruits for the class. Miami, apparently, tried to flip him. But, they probably -- and this is speculation -- offered him money commensurate with his perceived skill. So, I'd guess modest 5 figures. Ohio State was very likely able to compete with that.

So, that's all well and good. But the Jayden Bonsus of the world don't win big. You need those elite players, and that's where Georgia spending 7 figures and Oregon (my best guess) spending 7 figures on elite players really, really hurts. Those are numbers Ohio State is not competing with in 2023. And those are large enough numbers that the Administration itself needs to sign off on and they're not there, yet.

But, if they get their lunch money stolen, again, in the 2024 class -- and it's hard to imagine that won't happen -- then it's going to force a come to jesus moment.

Alabama had their come to jesus moment (IMO) when, as AA noted, The Nick spoke indirectly to the boosters. CRD was likely talking to interested parties at Ohio State when he said, in response to a question to the effect "is NIL the Wild West?" -- "there doesn't seem to be many rules and it doesn't seem like anyone is following whatever rules there are" -- to paraphrase.

As I've also said -- the entire B10 should be on notice. They are facing a real reckoning. And, furthermore, they've invited 2 schools in who are definitely playing the NIL game. So, I dunno. It's hard to imagine that this wasn't issue 1 for college ADs when aTm paid millions for last year's class, but if it wasn't it surely has to be now.

Comment

• I think Coach Day had a specific target when he said he needed $13 million to keep the Ohio State roster intact. And a good number of the 100 in attendance were Ohio State boosters and media. So that message was getting out better there than taking out a full page ad in the Bucknuts Gazette or whatever.

It’s no coincidence that Ohio State’s “The Foundation” collective set their 2022 goal at, you guessed it, $13 million.

I will say this about OSU’s collective, the selection of their board was genius, much better that Alabama’s: Cardale Jones, Urban Meyers, JT Barrett, Terry McLauren, Santonio Holmes, Troy Smith, and a nice assortment of money and media types.

And all of this is legal. It’s court approved. It’s what Day should be doing. And no one should have any problem with it. Where it becomes an ethical issue is when coaches directly use it to recruit with. Where the boosters in the collective are just an arm of the coaching staff and write checks at the coaches’ behest. As in, “we guarantee you $1.8 million NIL to sign.I’ll have our NIL guys cut a check.” At least that’s what the NCAA said, but even that will need to change because there are currently 3 high profile coaches in the SEC who are ignoring the fuck out of that. And I want us to all be able to play by those rules - or, if against the rules, risk being kneecapped with a NCAA violation.
                              Last edited by AlabamAlum; December 22, 2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• But when a 2-year STARTER (and heading for the Sugar Bowl and a third and fourth year starting) on the offensive line at Alabama ups and goes to fucking Miami, we have an potential issue.

I mean, you certainly understand the portal and kids who can’t crack the two-deep, or who have gotten in trouble and are looking for a clean start, or kids who leave for better facilities or more exposure, or a school that puts more kids in the NFL, whatever. But none of that is true with this kid and Miami. The rumors are the rumors. But if this kid’s fresh NIL deal with Miami is ever made public, and it’s egregious, they should death penalty the Canes. They won’t, but they should. It’s hard to imagine a school that has done more shit than the Canes.

Comment

Working...
                                X