No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Safety Protocol - please read and discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I suppose in the spirit of fairness, the war in Ukraine has kinda reached a grinding phase. You really can't devote an hour long program to how one side or the other moved the battle line three feet yesterday. I suspect it'll jump back to the top of the news cycle the instant something significant happens. The media loves reporting on a war.

As far as Coronavirus goes, it's reached a similar sort of metastability, and as such it's dropped off the news cycle. Unless a variant suddenly emerges to be a higher percentage killer, the world's media is largely going to accept it as the new normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
      Well, I suppose in the spirit of fairness, the war in Ukraine has kinda reached a grinding phase. You really can't devote an hour long program to how one side or the other moved the battle line three feet yesterday. I suspect it'll jump back to the top of the news cycle the instant something significant happens. The media loves reporting on a war.

As far as Coronavirus goes, it's reached a similar sort of metastability, and as such it's dropped off the news cycle. Unless a variant suddenly emerges to be a higher percentage killer, the world's media is largely going to accept it as the new normal.
      It is a symptom of society.

Humans, these days, tend to over-react to whatever is "New" and hit the snooze button on anything that has been going for a few weeks. It says something that COVID stayed at the top for almost 2 years. Trump had to be Trump on a daily basis to stay there. Still does.

Domestic terrorism and fatal police shootings of innocents (slam dunk shootings of nefarious people do not make it at all) no longer move the needle enough to be on the news more then one day.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Russia and Ukraine will keep grinding for years, as will the economic war of attrition where Russians and Europeans will get considerably poorer to indulge the Tsarist imperial fantasies of little Vlad, who can’t die or be killed soon enough.

Comment

• There is a good documentary on the Spanish Flu of 1918 on American Experience. One of the themes of it was even though it was devastating and killed so many people, there is a collective urge to forget it ever happened. People want to get back to normal life. That's kind of the story of pandemics.

There was not really a spike with this latest variant, enough people have either gotten it and have some sort of immunity or they got vaccinated and have some sort immunity. There is not much of a story anymore and that's good.

Comment

• Well, there are still thousands of people dying every week to the virus in the United States alone, so I'd argue it's not a story simply because society has decided that is an acceptable cost to not change their lives in any way than any meaningful blunting of the pandemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
              Domestic terrorism and fatal police shootings of innocents (slam dunk shootings of nefarious people do not make it at all) no longer move the needle enough to be on the news more then one day.
              Yep, agreed. Its like society, no doubt with the help of the internet and the “google ANYTHING” world, has become immune to being shocked.
              When kids (the future adults) can google beheadings, the mass shootings aren’t going to shock them.
              i remember my own stepson showing me footage of the guy going into a New Zealand mosque, call of duty style, and wiping people out.
              His words: “That is absolutely crazy eh? Unbelievable. Anyway, Spaghetti for dinner tonight is it?”
              I was shocked at the footage he showed me and couldn’t answer his question.

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

Yep, agreed. Its like society, no doubt with the help of the internet and the “google ANYTHING” world, has become immune to being shocked.
                When kids (the future adults) can google beheadings, the mass shootings aren’t going to shock them.
                i remember my own stepson showing me footage of the guy going into a New Zealand mosque, call of duty style, and wiping people out.
                His words: “That is absolutely crazy eh? Unbelievable. Anyway, Spaghetti for dinner tonight is it?”
                I was shocked at the footage he showed me and couldn’t answer his question.

Wow man. That's sad and crazy.

I remember as a kid the news services stopped showing footage from Vietnam (bloody stuff) to maintain not desensitizing society. What a different world we live in.
                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Yep……. Desensitising is exactly the word for here with re to the USA.
                  When Sandy Hook happened…… people were like, “another one?” ….. with no jaw dropping shock attached.

The cinema shooting in Denver DID have an effect though. People here in the UK were shittin themselves to go see a movie after thst for a few months.

Putting that, “kill people in a cinema” idea into the nutters heads.
                  "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Well, it finally got me. Symptoms started Saturday, and were pretty bad for two days. Mostly chills and bad body aches.

I was a bit worried thinking the first day that 'Oh shit - this could get bad'. Usually illnesses get worse over the first couple days. Not this. It starts at 110%, coming in like a freight train.

I am thankful that being vaxxed and boosted my system was well armed to deal with it fairly quickly. Basic cold symptoms now. I wouldn't want to have had this without my system being prepared.

For people scared of the shot - shit, I can tell you side effects of the shot are nothing compared to the illness. You can talk about your 'natural immunity' from getting it all you want.... If you are going to get it without any preparation, I wish you luck. It could be pretty aweful, and it's effects long lasting.
                    Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Damn. Hoping for a quick recovery
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Oh it sucked for a bit. But definitely quickly recovering. Feel a ton better already. If no symptoms I can go back to work Friday - with a mask for 5 more days. We'll see if it is that quick or not.
                        Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Glad you are feeling better. Do you have any idea how you caught it?

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• Its weird how it affects middle aged people differently, (just assuming you’re middle aged, Dpat). I had it a year ago this month and was feeling like crap for no more than a day. Worst part was losing taste completely. Couldnt even taste stronger stuff like coffee or garlic. Wasn’t great.

Reason for post though…….. any you guys ever had real & proper influenza? Not just that shitty bad cold “oh ive got the flu” type bullshit. Meaning proper flu?
                            Soccer forum guys will remember this day…… the Hillsborough disaster in Sheffield, England when 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death.
                            My memories of that day were wanting someone to fucking kill me. Was 20 years old and thought I was dying and was convinced death was the MUCH better option.
                            The one and only time ever experiencing proper flu…….. an absolute bastard. And instantly understood why it wiped out OAP’s when they caught it.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                              Glad you are feeling better. Do you have any idea how you caught it?
                              I don't know how he caught it, but FWIW, I think the shit is everywhere. I think that there are a lot of people walking around with it and either don't care or don't know and we all just have to deal with it. It seems that most people I know that are getting it now had just attended big events or had travelled just prior to coming down with it. I think part of the reason numbers are coming down is because people aren't reporting it, they are just staying home for a few days, treating it with OTCs and moving on. I am not sure that that is a bad thing. I kinda think it is, as they say, "the new normal"
                              I do/did what I can to minimize my chances of getting really sick from it. I had it on the first go-round and am vaxxed and boosted. I will be first in line for the next booster when they say I can get it, but I just go about my business pretty much the same as I did pre-COVID although I do find myself trying to put a little more distance between me and other people when I am in public. If a business requires a mask, I wear one. If not, I don't, but very few places here in SE Georgia are requiring masks anymore. I also think that the newer strains are less deadly and we have gotten better at treating it. It is still going to kill some people, but again, I *think* that it is not the same as it was when it first appeared.
                              Of course, I could be absolutely wrong,
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I agree, it's everywhere and it's probably just a matter of time until everyone has had it. I'm glad the latest variant seems to be mild, at least. Hubby and I are still pretty careful -- we are the only ones wearing masks when we go to the store around here. But if I catch it, I want it to be from visiting with friends or family, not from some random bozo at Home Depot.
                                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X