X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Belichick is wearing two masks, apparently at all times

Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2020, 8:20 PM EDT

Getty Images

On Monday, the NFL read the riot act to the 32 owners, coaches, and General Managers regarding compliance with all COVID-19 protocols. During Monday night’s game in Kansas City, at the post-game press conference, and during a Tuesday morning press conference, Patriots coach Bill Belichick wore at all times not one but two masks.

On Tuesday, a reporter asked whether Belichick was opting for two masks because of quarterback Cam Newton‘s positive COVID-19 diagnosis and in light of Belichick’s membership in a high-risk classification based on his age.

“No,” Belichick said.

So why is he constantly wearing two masks?

“Basically, that’s what we’ve been instructed to do,” Belichick said.

But they haven’t been instructed to wear two masks. Belichick is over complying, either to ensure that he can’t be accused of not complying — or to make a point, in a passive-aggressive way.

Whatever the reason, get used to Belichick and the two-mask look, which is only a stone’s throw from going full Breaking Bad hazmat suit.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• The Grand Facade:
      Look guys, we want you to go out there and be facemask to facemask for 60 minutes (and then some if overtime) with the other team.
      Look guys, we want you to come back to your teams huddle and spread whatever the other team (or your own teammates) gives you over and over all game long.
      Do anything resembling that AFTER the game, we will fine the shit out of you......

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
        The Grand Facade:
        Look guys, we want you to go out there and be facemask to facemask for 60 minutes (and then some if overtime) with the other team.
        Look guys, we want you to come back to your teams huddle and spread whatever the other team (or your own teammates) gives you over and over all game long.
        Do anything resembling that AFTER the game, we will fine the shit out of you......
        Yep. It's CYA junk. The only thing they even have to defend themselves with is that it's more likely to spread indoors
        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Another Titans player tests positive

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 8, 2020, 9:01 AM EDT

Getty Images

Another day, another player on the Tennessee Titans testing positive for COVID-19.

Today one more Titans player has tested positive, according to multiple reports, and another test that was previously returned as inconclusive from the day before is also now listed as positive.

The Titans’ facility remains closed, as it has all of this week and all of last week.

Although the Titans have a game scheduled on Sunday against the Bills, there are serious questions about whether that game can be played at all. Moving it to Monday night, as the NFL did with Patriots-Chiefs last week, wouldn’t work because the Bills play a Thursday night game just three days later.

The NFL is investigating whether the Titans violated league protocols for COVID-19, and both the team and individuals who broke the rules could be facing significant league discipline.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Sean McVay, Pete Carroll: NFL should punish teams for protocol violations

Posted by Charean Williams on October 7, 2020, 10:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was one of five coaches fined $100,000 for failing to wear a face covering during Week Two. Rams coach Sean McVay hasn’t paid a fine, but he did get a stern warning from the NFL for the same transgression in Week One.

Carroll and McVay agree the NFL should punish teams for blatant disregard for coronavirus protocols.

“Oh, yeah,” McVay said Wednesday, via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN. “There’s some very strict policies that the league is serious about implementing, and I think we all realize, you know, how volatile this thing is. And so to answer your question, yes.”

The Titans face potentially significant punishment for alleged protocol breaches that fueled an outbreak of COVID-19. Further, members of the team were photographed practicing off site after expressly being told not to do so.

“Well that’s really league business,” Carroll said. “The league doesn’t want teams to find a way to get ahead of another team and they’re trying to keep the competitive playing level equal. If guys aren’t, if teams aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do, then you gotta do something. And I don’t know what’s appropriate right now, we’re in kind of new territory right here. Sometimes you get fined and you got to pay it and sometimes you get docked something you got to give it up. So I don’t have a good thought for how you would balance that out and where you should go. It’s really not my discussion, but we’re going to try to do everything right so we don’t have to even face that issue, of course. But the league, you’ve got to expect the league to take action. They’re trying to keep a level playing field and that’s really a big issue for the league and so that’s how they’re going to go about it, and that’s how they’re doing it.”

Comment

• Dumb

Players aren’t tested on game days, at all

Posted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2020, 8:23 PM EDT

Getty Images

NFL players are tested every day. Unless they aren’t.

As multiple sources have explained it to PFT, players are not tested on game days — at all.

There’s no off-site PCR test that would generate results later than day, and there’s no on-site, point-of-care testing. There’s nothing.

This reality expands the COVID donut hole with which the league already is dealing. With no samples collected between Saturday and Monday (for Sunday games), 48 hours pass without taking a snapshot of any kind as to whether someone has flipped from negative to positive.

On Mondays, players do drive-through testing and don’t enter the building — unless they need treatment. However, plenty of players need day-after-game treatment, which puts more than a few players in the building with a two-day window of no testing at all and no idea until later that night or the next morning as to whether anyone who was negative on Saturday turned positive between Saturday and Monday.

Whatever the reason and whatever the cause, it’s another reason for teams to be leery about the league’s position that, if they simply follow all protocols, everything will be fine. The lack of game-day testing potentially puts players and others who have the virus around others on the day of the game and the next day, until the results of day-after PCR testing arrive.

That said, the Patriots had PCR sample collected early Monday, given the possibility that players who were in close contact with Cam Newton could end up having positive results. The positive ultimately wasn’t generated until Tuesday, when cornerback Stephon Gilmore tested positive.

Comment

• I like this guy...

Comment

• That was superb, FS.
                  "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• On a similar note....... These guys make games out of scammers.

Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• I went to Heartland Marketplace on Ford Road in Westland and the cashier didn't have her nose covered. I looked around and the two people bagging didn't have masks at all and the other cashier also didn't have her nose covered. I won't be going back there.
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I've just settled into the fact that at least half of the people are just going to not do what they should be doing and this thing is always going to be around. Even if there's a vaccine. I wear my mask and sanitize my hands.

UKBB, I would have asked them to mask up and sanitize their hands before bagging my stuff. YOUR the customer and have a right to not have your stuff potentially contaminated. OR I would have bagged my own.

I understand you though.

Comment

• I just picked up a gallon of apple cider and didn't get it bagged. The baggers weren't on my line.
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Wow. Nature and science win again...

LSU-Florida postponed after COVID-19 outbreak

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 15, 2020, 7:19 AM EDT

USA Today

On Saturday, Florida coach Dan Mullen said he wanted 90,000 fans to pack the stadium for this week’s home game against LSU. By Wednesday, a COVID-19 outbreak had caused the game to be postponed.

Florida announced that 21 football players have tested positive for COVID-19, and so the game will not be played on Saturday. It is currently slated to be moved to December 12.

Despite Mullen’s bravado about packing fans into a stadium during a pandemic, COVID-19 is still very much a threat, and it has significantly affected the college football season. Every college football program in the country adjusted its schedule because of the pandemic, the Big Ten and Pac-12 have still not started their seasons, and LSU-Florida is one of dozens of games that have been postponed because of local outbreaks.

Florida said it is not sure whether its team will be healthy enough to play next week’s scheduled game against Missouri.

Comment

• Aw no

RIP Fred

Reports: Hall of Fame defensive end Fred Dean dies of COVID-19 at 68

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on October 15, 2020, 2:39 AM EDT

Getty Images

Hall of Fame defensive end Fred Dean has died at the age of 68 from COVID-19, according to multiple reports.

Dean spent 11 years in the NFL after being selected in the second round of the 1975 NFL Draft by the San Diego Chargers out of Louisiana Tech. He spent parts of seven seasons with the Chargers before being traded to the San Francisco 49ers in 1981.

Dean had made two straight Pro Bowls with the Chargers and had been a first-team All-Pro in 1980 before being dealt to the 49ers in October, 1981. Despite the trade, Dean would make another Pro Bowl and be named first-team All-Pro again in 1981. Per the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Dean had 12 sacks in 11 games for the 49ers following the trade from San Diego.

Sacks did not become an official NFL statistic until the 1982 season. However, Dean would notch 17.5 sacks in 1983 in earning a fourth Pro Bowl selection. His six sacks against the New Orleans Saints that season set a record for most ever in a game at the time. Derrick Thomas currently holds the record with seven.

Dean would win a pair of Super Bowls with the 49ers in 1982 and 1985 before retiring. His unofficial sack count for his career is 93.

Dwight Hicks, a former teammate of Dean’s with the 49ers, revealed last week that Dean had been hospitalized due to the virus.

Comment

• Nick Saban tests positive for COVID-19

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2020, 5:57 PM EDT

Getty Images

Alabama coach Nick Saban has tested positive for COVID-19.

Saban, the former Dolphins head coach and the most successful college football coach of the 21st Century, confirmed today that he tested positive.

“I found out earlier this afternoon that I had tested positive for COVID-19,” Saban said in a statement released by Alabama. “I immediately left work and isolated at home. At this time, I do not have any symptoms relative to COVID, and I have taken another PCR test to confirm my diagnosis. I informed our team of my positive test at 2 p.m. today on a Zoom call and let them know offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian will oversee preparations at the complex while I work from home.”

Alabama Athletic Director Greg Byrne also tested positive for COVID-19.

Saban will presumably miss Saturday’s game between No. 2 Alabama and No. 3 Georgia, which is the biggest game of this college football season so far. Sarkisian, the former Falcons offensive coordinator and former USC and University of Washington head coach, would fill in for Saban as Alabama’s coach if the Georgia game goes on as scheduled.

Comment

Working...
                                X