Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Politics - 2020 Presidential Election - GOP v Dem cage fight (ENTER AT YOUR PERIL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F319C2F5-A791-4CF9-A0A7-EA263A54E349.jpeg
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Here's the problem. "Universal Healthcare" is what is frequently polled, wrapped up in a "Medicare For All" wrapper. Yes, an overwhelming amount of Americans like the IDEA of everyone being covered.

But the INSTANT you start polling on what M4A actually entails? Support for it drops like a stone. For example, if you tell them it will abolish private care, and that 56% support drops to something along the lines of 40%. Tell them taxes will go up, even if it means out of pocket costs will be eliminated? Now support drops into the 30s.

THAT'S why Biden is "backing off" on it. Because underneath the surface, the support for M4A isn't as rock solid as you want to believe it is.
      And yet every time expanding those eligible for Obamacare came up this time (like Missouri) it passes.

Biden is backing off even a public option. And I doubt we even get expansion of ACA from a Biden administration. They have sent out signals that the cupboard will be bare, and Biden has a long long history of trying to work with Republicans. And I think he thinks they can be reasonable. Rude awakening there.

People think they might lose their doctor when they hear the elimination of private care. It is not because they love (as Republicans try to portray) their health insurance.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

And yet every time expanding those eligible for Obamacare came up this time (like Missouri) it passes.

Biden is backing off even a public option. And I doubt we even get expansion of ACA from a Biden administration. They have sent out signals that the cupboard will be bare, and Biden has a long long history of trying to work with Republicans. And I think he thinks they can be reasonable. Rude awakening there.

People think they might lose their doctor when they hear the elimination of private care. It is not because they love (as Republicans try to portray) their health insurance.
        No, they DON'T love the current system. But they are TERRIFIED of handing it over to the government to manage. Which is why as much as voters love the IDEA of universal healthcare, that support gets more and more blurry as the details are discussed.

Comment

• "Within You Without You"

We were talking about the space between us all
          And the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
          Never glimpse the truth, then it's far too late, when they pass away
          We were talking about the love we all could share
          When we find it, to try our best to hold it there with our love
          With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew

Try to realise it's all within yourself
          No one else can make you change
          And to see you're really only very small
          And life flows on within you and without you

We were talking about the love that's gone so cold
          And the people who gain the world and lose their soul
          They don't know, they can't see, are you one of them?

When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find
          Peace of mind is waiting there
          And the time will come when you see we're all one
          And life flows on within you and without you

- George Harrison

Comment

• If you scaled back the forever wars
            how many wars has Trump started again?

ah, nevermind, your circle in here should remain unbroken.
            The only logical explanation is:
            I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• My parents are Trumpers who think he will win in a landslide.

My dad says that masks are pointless and my mom thinks that only 9000 people have died from Covid-19, while also contending that masks will causes hundreds of thousands of people to die from breathing in their own air. She contends that these deaths will be counted as Covid-19 deaths and therefore she will believe that she will be proven right as we ride the third crest of this first wave.

Oh, is this the part where I say some kind of punchline? I'm not joking about any of this.
              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• We have become a society of entitled individuals that can not be inconvenienced with taking any even minimal steps to look out for other members of society.

People gave up using some metals during WW2.

I still think Bush squandered an opportunity for national unity after 911, and instead went with 'do your part - go shopping' approach.

Even in a post-Trump world..... it's going to be hard to get to being a united country. The division is deep, and a lot of people just enjoy having an 'enemy' to point the finger at, and make it a way of life. Like UofM and THE piece of shit down south.

I know people on the Drump side too. WTF we gonna do? I reckon this might be as close historically we've been to some of the awkward family cookouts after the civil war I can imagine must have happened.
                Last edited by dpatnod; October 26, 2020, 02:52 AM.
                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
                  My parents are Trumpers who think he will win in a landslide.

My dad says that masks are pointless and my mom thinks that only 9000 people have died from Covid-19, while also contending that masks will causes hundreds of thousands of people to die from breathing in their own air. She contends that these deaths will be counted as Covid-19 deaths and therefore she will believe that she will be proven right as we ride the third crest of this first wave.

Oh, is this the part where I say some kind of punchline? I'm not joking about any of this.
                  :( How Trump has convinced so many that facts are fake news is both brilliant and horrifying.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• It is a shame that most elections boil down to a single issue but that is the norm rather than the exception.

This Presidential Election the single issue has been identified: You either like Trump or you don't.

Trump has done a wonderful job in the last 4 years in pissing off just about everyone he has come into contact with. His bull in a China shop attitude is what got him elected in the first place.

He has accomplished a lot in the time he has served but done so with an axe and flamethrower.

There are those who like that and want it to continue.

There are more that are embarrassed with his behavior and junior high school attitude.

It is true his handling of COVID 19 will ultimately be the deciding factor in his defeat but let's all be honest, he used every inch of rope given to him to hang himself.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

:( How Trump has convinced so many that facts are fake news is both brilliant and horrifying.
                      That's why when early voting started 2 weeks ago in the State where I live at, I voted immediately that week, and not for 45.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

• President Trump takes a parting campaign shot at the NFL

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2020, 8:31 PM EST

Getty Images

Many expected the soon-to-be-ending-thank-God presidential campaign to consist of repeated attacks on the NFL by President Donald Trump. He has not gone on the offensive against pro football, however.

Appearing on Monday in Pennsylvania, however, a verbal assault on LeBron James and the NBA morphed into an assault against the NFL.

The NFL is way down,” Trump said. “The NFL is way down. You gotta stand for our flag. You gotta really be great to our flag and to our anthem. And if you don’t do that we’re not watching.”

The crowd by then had erupted into a “LeBron James sucks” chant, prompting Trump to twice proclaim, “What a crowd!”

The NFL isn’t “way down.” And this year’s election cycle didn’t come close to attracting eyeballs from the NFL the way the 2016 race did.

If anything, the NFL is as strong as ever. Our numbers are going up, with a gigantic Monday that could end up being our best in-season day of traffic in 19 years of doing this.

Maybe that’s because people are looking for a break from the election. And now we will go back to providing a break from the election, continuously and exclusively until inauguration day and beyond — unless and until one of the candidates calls out the NFL, accurately or inaccurately.
                        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• My husband and I voted in person at the polls this morning. We got there as they opened and there was a bit of a line but it moved fast. My complaints are minor and mostly COVID-related...

1. Our polling place hosts two districts. Every election day for the past 10 years that I've lived here, our district checks in and gets their ballots on the left side of the building. Today, they switched it up for fun and it was on the right side. What does this mean? That everyone is in the wrong line and has to cross in front of eachother repeatedly. Not smart for avoiding COVID. What a dumb decision.

2. They did not leave a path open for exiting the building. What does this mean? That you have to walk back down the hallway where there are already two lines of people facing you -- there simply isn't room for this and it certainly is not a smart set up for COVID prevention.

3. The guy behind us was wearing his mask on his chin while coughing a lot. Sigh. Everyone else seemed to be masked up properly and staying about three feet apart. There wasn't room to stay six feet apart. Also, they did not limit the number of people who entered the building.

4. There was a woman who walked through the line inside holding up a campaign sign endorsing a school board member. Totally not allowed. I told her so but she gave zero fucks.

5. We were out in about a half hour. I can't imagine waiting hours in those conditions like I saw many doing around the country during the early voting phase. I did not see any intimidation going on and everyone was pretty friendly. Other than COVID, it seemed like a regular election day.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I voted last week, but I drove by my normal poling place this morning.

Usually the parking lot is pretty empty and there are no lines to get in. Voting here usually takes about 10 minutes.

Today the lot was full and cars were parked on the road. There was a line out the door and around the corner of the building. Not sure how quickly it was moving, but it was an unusual sight. There didn't appear to be any shenanigans going on.
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Just saw that Biden's middle name is ROBINETTE. That's rough
                              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Trump's middle name is Fucktard.
                                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Working...
                                X