No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was trying to type into a phone what I had calculated on a paper, so I made a mess of it. I did have Brown and Elliot listed twice, but the figures are correct. But in the case of Brown and Elliot I tried to get cute to put them at the top because they have high valuations for the next year compared to their current salary. Cominsky will also have a much higher valuation as a UFA.

They probably will mess with Goff in March, but the fact that they restructured Vaitai and Brockers instead of Goff kind of indicates that they weren't fully on board with Goff in 2023 early in the year. If they keep up the winning it's all academic now.

Comment

• I don’t see them cutting Vatai, they like him and would rather have him start then any replacement

Comment

• What New Orleans did is not that unusual, the extreme in how they have done it is unusual. In 2024 they have 31 active players on the books and they only have 5 million in estimated free space. In 2023, they are currently 63 million over the cap. They are 4-8 with an aging roster.

They are going to have to pay the piper. That means one year where you absolutely suck and that might mean this upcoming season. What they did last off-season may have allowed them to kick the can down the road, but it was a disaster.
        Last edited by froot loops; December 5, 2022, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

He is always taking potshots at TK.
          Oh stop it...

wade barrett punch GIF by Fanged Up
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Nice list. for fun my thoughts

Jamaal Williams 4.3 - I hope he is back.
            Evan Brown 1.2 - I think he will be back at a slightly higher salary
            Deshaun Elliott .965 - I'm not so sure he is going to be
            Justin Jackson .965 - Jackson or Swift are probably not Lions next year.
            Money Badger 1.0 - I hope he is back and probably for a bit higher salary
            Matt Nelson.895 - almost certainly back for a raise
            Will Harris 2.5 - Hard to tell but I'd lean toward back
            Amani Oruwariye 2.5 - probably gone
            Mike Hughes 1.25 - probably gone
            Alex Anzalone 1.035 - 3 weeks ago I would have said gone for sure but he is performing latey
            Chris Board 1.5 - probably gone
            Josh Woods 1.2 - probably gone
            Austin Bryant .965 - probably gone
            Buggs .965 - probably gone
            Cominsky .965 - I think he returns
            DJ Chark 10 - I think he is gone

Comment

• Williams (cost dependent), D Elliott, J Jackson, Badger, Matt Nelson, A A, and Cominsky should be re-signed as long as their price isn't too high.

IDK if they'll jump in the FA pool too deep. I doubt it.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Jared Goff: In the last five games, we’ve been playing good football

Posted by Myles Simmons on December 5, 2022, 11:47 AM EST

Getty Images

With Sunday’s victory over the Jaguars, the Lions have won four of their last five games after starting the season 1-6.

Detroit dominated Jacksonville for a 40-14 victory, with all three phases positively contributing to the result. After the game, quarterback Jared Goff agreed that the Lions are playing with a confidence that they can compete with anyone in the league.

“We feel like we can, and we believe we can,” Goff said in his postgame press conference. “We’ve beaten good teams. We’ve beaten teams with lesser records. We’ve dominated teams, and we’ve had our times where we’ve struggled, but in the last five games, we’ve been playing good football and taking care of the ball on offense, causing turnovers on defense, and clean in the kicking game. It’s a pretty good formula, and we’ve been doing that.

“It feels good. That was as a complete team win as I’ve been a part of, and it was really, really well done, and proud of our guys.”

Goff played one of his best games since joining the Lions, finishing 31-of-41 for 340 yards with a pair of touchdowns. The Lions are currently No. 9 in the conference at 5-7 with the Vikings, Jets, Panthers, Bears, and Packers remaining on their schedule.

But if the club continues on its current trajectory, there’s a chance Detroit could sneak into the postseason with the No. 7 seed.

Comment

• Swift is not a UFA, he is almost certainly back. Jackson might not be back, but another running back making 1 million will replace him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                    Williams (cost dependent), D Elliott, J Jackson, Badger, Matt Nelson, A A, and Cominsky should be re-signed as long as their price isn't too high.

IDK if they'll jump in the FA pool too deep. I doubt it.
                    I honestly think Williams is top of that list. Not because of his TDs but his energy in the locker room and in the huddle. The guy is great to have around. I am not saying break the bank and pay him top RB money but he is the one guy on that FA list I want to see back the most.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      Swift is not a UFA, he is almost certainly back. Jackson might not be back, but another running back making 1 million will replace him.
                      Swift is not a FA, but is easy to move on from with less than a million in dead cap.

This off season with Swift Lions have to decide if he is worth a roster spot. He is great at times, but very inconsistent and injury prone. If the Lions see a RB in the draft, especially 3rd or 4th round, they like Swift could be the odd man out if they like Jackson more.

Im not saying they won't keep Swift, I'm only saying that Swift this year has not played well enough to be certain of a roster spot next year.

Comment

• Stop day drinking. Dude is great when he's healthy. Let's add good/great players. Let's keep good/great players.

Comment

• Detroit Lions reportedly signing new quarterback to practice squad

After the Chicago Bears poached Tim Boyle from their practice squad, the Detroit Lions have a new third-string on the roster.

By Jeremy Reisman@DetroitOnLion Dec 5, 2022, 11:27am EST
                          47 Comments / 47 New Share this storyPhoto by Eric Espada/Getty Images
                          According to a tweet from Broncos reporter Mike Klis, the Detroit Lions are signing quarterback Joshua Dobbs to their practice squad.

The Lions were in need of a third-string quarterback ever since the Chicago Bears signed Tim Boyle from their practice squad last week.

Dobbs is a 2017 fourth-round pick who has jumped from the Steelers to the Jaguars, back to the Steelers, and most recently spent this season with the Cleveland Browns. Dobbs was waived a week ago after Deshaun Watson was reinstated from his suspension.

Despite being in the NFL for nearly six full seasons, Dobbs has never started an NFL game. He has made six game appearances, going 10-for-17 for 45 yards and an interception.

Dobbs was the starter for the Tennessee Volunteers in 2015 and 2016. There he was the definition of a dual-threat quarterback. In his senior season, he threw for 2,946 yards and 27 touchdowns while also rushing for 831 yards and an additional 12 touchdowns.

With excellent speed and elite athleticism, Dobbs can—at the very least—give Detroit a nice scout team mobile quarterback who can prepare them for remaining games against mobile quarterbacks, like their Week 17 matchup against Justin Fields and the Chicago Bears.

As of this publishing, the Lions have not yet confirmed the signing, but Dobbs did officially visit the team late last week.

This year, the Lions have shuffled their backup quarterback situation all year. Their two backups entering training camp—Boyle and David Blough—both now reside with NFC North rivals (Bears and Vikings, respectively). Meanwhile, the team’s new backup, Nate Sudfeld, got his first taste of NFL action on Sunday with a couple of victory formation kneel downs.

Comment

• Under no scenario are they waiving Swift. You don't gain enough money to justify it, this isn't hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                              Stop day drinking. Dude is great when he's healthy. Let's add good/great players. Let's keep good/great players.
                              Keys words "when he's healthy". I'm keeping him because it's still his rookie deal, but I'm not re-upping after next season.
                              Apathetic No More.

Comment

• I'm as frustrated as anyone with Swift being either hurt or a shell of himself half of every season. But Froot and CGVT and Future are right that they gain next to nothing dropping him right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X