No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It probably does take 10 years to rebuild when your team's owner sees the salary cap floor as the payroll target.

Comment

• If they are going to make a play, this is the year. They 8 million under the floor and most teams have no cap space. We definitely know Chris Ilitch is a miser, but in this case I'm not sure Yzerman isn't the roadblock. Everything he says indicates he is risk averse. In the NHL to get anyone of note you have to give out a contract that might look bad in year 6 or 7.

Comment

• He seemed more than willing to take calculated risks running the Lightning. He didn't just abruptly lose all his nuts upon stepping back in Detroit.

While it's certainly possible he's more wary because he doesn't want to make a big mistake, you can't dismiss the fact that the Wings have been in the bottom 5 of payroll from the instant Chris I. took over, and just like with the Tigers there's no reason to believe he's going to want to spend any more than he has to.

My guess is that Yzerman has about $10 mil to spend in Chris's budget. He's probably not going to get much.
        Last edited by chemiclord; June 30, 2023, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• The Wings made a few signings today. Hopefully they help solidify the team.

Comment

• The moves basically got them slightly above the salary cap floor. We'll see if he's allowed to make any other significant additions.

Comment

• Guise! Guise! The Wings are now 25th in spending in the league!

Sure... sure... several other teams don't even have a full roster yet, but still! Aren't you guys excited!!!!???!?!!

Chris Ilitch is really making an investment here people!

Comment

• The Wings have been one of the worst teams in the league but haven't cracked the top 3 in the drafts. They've been seriously f'ed but the outlook isn't great. The next big step should have been Edvinsson cracking the squad but he's out until Nov after shoulder surgery. Unfortunately we'll be wasting Larkins best years.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Compher was a solid get but it won’t move the needle. They need major jump from the farm
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• They were always going to need a significant jump from in-house talent. There's no way around that. Even the free spending Red Wings had a core of "home grown" talent.

The problem is that it is clear that the Wings are NEVER going to pony up the scratch that will be necessary to fill in the gaps of their team as long as Chris I. has the reins. The team is last I checked 25th in payroll, and at least three of the teams that have spent less still have to fill their primary roster. This is a profoundly unserious team that is not seriously trying to be competitive, and considering that the Tigers are being run the exact same way, it seems fair to come to the conclusion that the common factor is the owner.

Comment

• The players they got seems like it gets them back to the place where they were at the deadline, back.to 10-15 points out of the playoffs.

Comment

• I guess the hope is that they’re a little better, they’ll be in the playoff picture near the deadline , and then they’ll be buyers at the deadline.

I feel like Stevie wasted a couple of seasons.

Comment

• Buyers for what?

What makes any of you think a Chris Ilitch owned team is going to ever be a buyer for any reason?

Comment

• I was talking about minor moves to aid in a playoff push. I wasn’t talking about taking on major salary. I’m not that hopeful.

Comment

• Wings finally get a goal scorer and they signed him to an extension. Doesn’t sound too steep either.

Comment

• That is a real nice extension. I heard some speculation it was going to be like 8-9 years at like 8.8 per.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X