Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here ya go Marko, footgolf!

FootGolf is headed to Metro Detroit

Fox Hills owner Sandy Mily celebrates after a FootGolf putt in Florida last month. Mark Runchry, who's holding the flagstick, will help oversee the installation of Michigan's first FootGolf course in Plymouth. (Fox Hills Golf and Banquet Center)

FootGolf seems like a silly concept until you see it played, at which point all doubt is removed.
    It’s a combination of soccer and golf featuring players who kick the ball down the fairway toward a hole that looks like a 21-inch-wide ice bucket.
    In case that mental snapshot isn’t odd enough, at the championship level, the players wear shorts and knee-high argyle socks.
    Yes, there is a championship level, overseen by something called the Federation for International FootGolf, and it held a World Cup two years ago in Budapest.

The winner was Bela Lengyel, a Hungarian, which presumably sent the hometown fans into a frenzy. Maybe there was even a FootGolf riot.
    Probably not, though, since FootGolf appears to be a gentle pastime, more Golf than Foot. And OK, it actually looks like fun.
    I bring this up partly because Metro Detroit is about to get its first FootGolf course, at Fox Hills Golf and Banquet Center in Plymouth, and mostly because I’m so desperate for a sign of spring that I’ll cling to anything — even argyle knee-highs.
    We’re getting FootGolf because Fox Hills owner Sandy Mily and golf director Mark Runchry, both of whom go through life with last names that look like they’re spelled wrong, played a few holes in February at an industry trade show in Orlando.
    “It was a lot of fun,” Runchry reports, and since the Plymouth/Canton area is awash in recreational soccer teams, it seemed like a good fit.

You don't kick a golf ball

Just to be clear, the game uses a soccer ball rather than a golf ball. Kicking a golf ball is like kicking a rock, and 18 holes of that might be discouraging.
    Otherwise, the format is golf-like. Players count the number of blows it takes to get from tee to cup, subtract one, and mark down their scores.
    You can either bring your own ball, or rent one for $4 at the pro shop. Acceptable footwear includes indoor soccer shoes or gym shoes; no soccer cleats, please.
    “It should bring a whole different aspect to golf,” says sales and marketing director Julia Grelak. “A new crowd, as well.”
    The new crowd will be on the course simultaneously with the old one, playing 60- to 200-yard holes on the par-3 routing known as the Strategic Fox. It’s sort of like skiers sharing mountains with snowboarders, if one of them was sliding down the mountain on their feet and the other was doing a handstand.
    The FootGolf holes will sit alongside the golf greens. Hit a golf ball into the FootGolf hole and you get a free drop, and maybe a Kewpie doll.
    The Strategic Fox course, which is joined by 45 regulation-sized holes at Fox Hills, typically sees about 12,000 rounds per season. It will open for FootGolf with a kickoff tournament May 10, and Runchry is hoping for 2,000 rounds after that at $10 for nine holes or $15 for 18.
    “That’s kind of a guess,” he concedes. It’s hard to predict the response for a sport almost no one has heard of, unless they happened to be in Hungary in 2012.

80 courses in 28 states

Golf rounds have been on the wane nationally, though, so anything is fair game, especially if it might encourage newcomers to pick up a club.
    The American FootGolf League, a venerable body that’s been around for nearly three years, says the United States boasts 80 courses in 28 states.
    That number would seem to include courses in various stages of development, consideration or off-hand-remark-about-maybe-putting-a-course-here-someday.

Shanty Creek Resorts in Bellaire has a 9-hole course in the works, which might open a few days ahead of Fox Hills and could lead to a fierce north-south Michigan FootGolf rivalry.

It won’t be long after that before someone proclaims the game to be America’s fastest growing sport. Next comes lobbying to put FootGolf in the Olympics, and then a sordid FootGolf scandal.
    Sillier things have happened, and if you need proof of that, just go to a course and watch people like me actually play golf.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2wtC41xMZ
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Now adding wrestling would be a worthy addition, seeing that this is the Road to Wrestlemania season.

Comment

• well, adding additional sports helped in other cases

[ame]http://youtu.be/zEXl7LiD22M[/ame]
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
          http://www.soccerway.com/teams/croatia/nk-osijek/

Looks like a 3 horse race for survival in Croatia League one there, Essek. Really bad loss to fellow relegation candidates at the weekend there. Sore one, especially as a win would've taken Osijek out of the drop zone. Got to assume there will be no points this week against Dinamo Zagreb, but the other 4 games will be must win games. Especially the one against Slaven Koprivnica. That will be a huge game for survival. Hoping you guys can pull through and stay up.
          Thanks mate, club got to a better start, complete new board of directors, some money even, but players still suck, i'm starting to lose faith to be honest
          http://www.scribd.com/doc/7781751/Osijek-In-Your-Pocket

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
            Good finish today. The GWC was actually interesting. 6 wide on the restart was heck of a wad of cars piling into one. I'd rather not seen the shrub pull it off but I'm ok with Jimmie giving it up. Gordon did run strong at the end, he just didn't luck out with the tires having their mass extinction event at the end like that.

Yeah that restart was pretty awesome, not a big fan of shrub, but his older bro is my fav and had a chance for the win, glad he finished 3rd. Best call of the day, picking Larson in my money pool for finishing 2nd. The rookie is looking legit after 2 top 5 finishes.

The Rainbow Warrior did have the car to beat (Darryl Waltrip with kneepads on for the last 50 laps, lmao). And then the tires ran out,,,,,.

Tony, what is GWC?

Comment

• Forgot to mention that I turned down a free ticket to go see NECKCAR out at FONTUCKY (aka Fontana, CA) yesterday but I told my buddy that I already had some paint to watch dry on my calender. Thanks but no thanks.

Turns out the traffic clusterpuck they got caught in ruined any fun they had at the race.

Ironic eh?

Cars fn up cars.
              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                Forgot to mention that I turned down a free ticket to go see NECKCAR out at FONTUCKY (aka Fontana, CA) yesterday but I told my buddy that I already had some paint to watch dry on my calender. Thanks but no thanks.

Turns out the traffic clusterpuck they got caught in ruined any fun they had at the race.

Ironic eh?

Cars fn up cars.

Soooo, what did you do instead? People watching at a NASCAR event ranks right up there with the Kentucky Derby infield.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaRaySparty View Post
                  Soooo, what did you do instead? People watching at a NASCAR event ranks right up there with the Kentucky Derby infield.
                  I fertilized and seeded my yard. Drank beers and didn't watch NECKCAR.

A rather productive Sunday as far as non-NFL Sunday's go. ;)
                  19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• I'll be interested see how those tires perform when they get to Darlington.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                      I fertilized and seeded my yard. Drank beers and didn't watch NECKCAR.

A rather productive Sunday as far as non-NFL Sunday's go. ;)

Nice. I wish my yard was awake enough to take up fertilizer and seed. Its kinda lagging behind right now. 8)

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        I'll be interested see how those tires perform when they get to Darlington.

Me too. Is that going to be a continuing problem moving forward? Heard at Cali, they were not supposed to keep the pressure below 20 PSI, but teams were pressing the issue?

Comment

• GWC = green white checker

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                            GWC = green white checker

Ahh, got it

Comment

• Remember today there is the City/United matchup at 3:45 PM

Arsenal at Swansea
                              Newcastle at Everton

Liverpool needs Moyes Boys to dispatch City at Trafford. Its going to be tough without RVP. But things have looked up in the last week with that thrilling comeback against Olympiakos tie to advance in the Champions League.

Comment

• I put a bet on much earlier that City would win this, and with RVP out, Im thinking they'll definitely win now.

It's a mixed bag of opinions here regarding Moyes position. Many saying he'll be emptied after Bayern hammer them in both ties of the CLQF...., but equally as many saying he will be given a lot more time to get his team sorted. I don't really care that much about Man Utd, but I do like Moyes. Seems a decent bloke and I'd like to see him do well.

Prediction for tonight:

MANURE 1 CITEH 3
                                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X