No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't mean to touch off some debate on European football. Arsenal has just been rudderless and it's very hard to find someone. They lived off Arsene for two decades and like ManU when they lost Ferguson, it takes awhile. It took Liverpool 25 years to find Klopp.

I enjoy leagues without drafts. I'll watch EPL games with teams I have no rooting interest. In the NFL, games that don't involved the Lions are blah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
      The spenders who have actually got fuck all to spend? The now defunct Rangers FC? The new Sevco with Gerrard who ALREADY spending what he doesn't have? I'd rather stay smaller win the Scottish every few years and have that party.

And no one is blaming the spenders in this conversation. I'm blaming the glory hunting fans. And Hibs for selling most of Hawkhill Crescent back to the council and MASSIVELY reducing the capacity of the East Stand.

But getting back to the original stuff........ if a club as FUCKING MASSIVE as Arsenal FC have to spend MORE than they do to compete......, then its all fucked.

And Messi on 450 squillion Euros for 38 games of soccer is also fucked up.

MON THE CABBAGE!!
      Hey, then that's fine!

As far as Arsenal is concerned, they don't particularly have to spend more. They need to STOP spending money on the trash they've been spending money on. Because it all comes around to the central point. It doesn't matter how much money you have if you are too incompetent to use it smartly. Man U was going through the exact same problem; they got too content, decided their "brand" was all they needed, and the talent atrophied. Turns out money ISN'T a guarantee of a Top 4 finish in ANY league.

A "draft" or whatever system you want to impose isn't going to fix stupid, and Arse-nal has been building VERY stupidly.

Comment

• So Chem, you say the team shouldn't sell the player. You are ignoring the player in the equation. Lets say that you are Jack Grealish and an offer has come that will give you a 60% raise this year - and Aston Villa, a team incapable of challenging for hardware is supposed to keep YOU against your will - to keep you from putting food on the table for your family? Hehe.

There are two sides to the coin. You got Harry Kane stuck on a team incapable of winning hardware, in his prime and he's done everything in his power to help them win - and they can't. It's time for him to move to a real contender - team be damned.

Comment

• Villa can use those transfer funds to fuel a run. Villa is a big team that had some mismanagement for a while. Liverpool's most recent run was directly the result of the Coutinho sale.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Hey, then that's fine!

As far as Arsenal is concerned, they don't particularly have to spend more. They need to STOP spending money on the trash they've been spending money on. Because it all comes around to the central point. It doesn't matter how much money you have if you are too incompetent to use it smartly. Man U was going through the exact same problem; they got too content, decided their "brand" was all they needed, and the talent atrophied. Turns out money ISN'T a guarantee of a Top 4 finish in ANY league.

A "draft" or whatever system you want to impose isn't going to fix stupid, and Arse-nal has been building VERY stupidly.
            I agree.....,and not blaming the manager as such, but I think Arsenal is too big a job for Mikel Arteta.

I do miss the days when Sir Eck spent nothing and saw the talent in Giggs, Becks, Butt, Scholes, Nevilles etc etc......, never forget that Cup Winners Cup Final when we were all like, "Who are these guys? Eck is going to get himself sacked!"

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Hey, then that's fine!

This I agree with. Who in their right mind spends 27 million on an 18 y/o center back (William Saliba). He's not even going to learn the in's and outs of the position for another 4-5 years. He's going to get shuffled out on loan after loan and he's doing nothing to help the team get better. That is a luxury Arsenal can't afford. You get the kid for a song, thats one thing. 27 million should be able to get you 1-2 quality players that can help the team in the now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                27 million should be able to get you 1-2 quality players that can help the team in the now.
                This is where the Scottish soccer thinking comes in........., that dough would buy 7 or 8 clubs........, not 1-2 quality players!

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

So Chem, you say the team shouldn't sell the player. You are ignoring the player in the equation. Lets say that you are Jack Grealish and an offer has come that will give you a 60% raise this year - and Aston Villa, a team incapable of challenging for hardware is supposed to keep YOU against your will - to keep you from putting food on the table for your family? Hehe.

There are two sides to the coin. You got Harry Kane stuck on a team incapable of winning hardware, in his prime and he's done everything in his power to help them win - and they can't. It's time for him to move to a real contender - team be damned.
                  No, I'm saying that a team doesn't HAVE to. They COULD put forth the investment and take the gamble of building a team that could run with the sharks in their little pond. There is literally NOTHING stopping them. Big fish don't pluck EVERY good player from Celtic and Rangers, after all. Somehow those two teams are remaining on top of the heap.

But Hibernian doesn't WANT to take that risk, so they cry poverty and try and tell their fans there's nothing they can do. And it, like most cries of poverty from club owners, is entirely bullshit. If it was honestly that bad, they'd be trying to sell that club to anyone with a checkbook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

This is where the Scottish soccer thinking comes in........., that dough would buy 7 or 8 clubs........, not 1-2 quality players!
                    Yep. Or a couple benders after bringing home an FA Cup.....

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      Villa can use those transfer funds to fuel a run. Villa is a big team that had some mismanagement for a while. Liverpool's most recent run was directly the result of the Coutinho sale.
                      And they're also an example of money being FAR less important than competence. That's a team that could very easily be in the mix at the top of the table... but they wasted years spending stupidly, and came VERY close to no longer being a big team (they were on their last year of EPL revenue sharing before they squeaked back into the top flight, iirc).

Comment

No, I'm saying that a team doesn't HAVE to. They COULD put forth the investment and take the gamble of building a team that could run with the sharks in their little pond. There is literally NOTHING stopping them. Big fish don't pluck EVERY good player from Celtic and Rangers, after all. Somehow those two teams are remaining on top of the heap.

But Hibernian doesn't WANT to take that risk, so they cry poverty and try and tell their fans there's nothing they can do. And it, like most cries of poverty from club owners, is entirely bullshit. If it was honestly that bad, they'd be trying to sell that club to anyone with a checkbook.
                        You obviously don't understand what Hibs and teams like Hibs operating budgets are.
                        Hibs: 64k per week - which wouldn't even be able to afford Super John McGinn's salary - a player they sold 4 years ago for that very reason - he'd outgrown the club.
                        Celtic: 440k per week - or 7 times the operating budget of Hibs. If Hibs has a good player, all Celtic needs to do is grease the pot - tell the player they will triple his wages (and still be a steal) and it's going to be next to impossible for Hibs to keep him.

BTW, 64k per week would barely be able to rent Jack Grealish's boots.

Comment

Yep. Or a couple benders after bringing home an FA Cup.....
                          Well......., maybe half the night.

Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                          Lets say that you are Jack Grealish.
                          ..... you get a fucking haircut.

Comment

You obviously don't understand what Hibs and teams like Hibs operating budgets are.
                            Hibs: 64k per week - which wouldn't even be able to afford Super John McGinn's salary - a player they sold 4 years ago for that very reason - he'd outgrown the club.
                            Celtic: 440k per week - or 7 times the operating budget of Hibs. If Hibs has a good player, all Celtic needs to do is grease the pot - tell the player they will triple his wages (and still be a steal) and it's going to be next to impossible for Hibs to keep him.

BTW, 64k per week would barely be able to rent Jack Grealish's boots.
                            Yep

Comment

• Notice I didn't say "I" was Jack Grealish - because there is no way in hell I wear that mop.

Comment

Notice I didn't say "I" was Jack Grealish - because there is no way in hell I wear that mop.

Comment

Working...
                                X