Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

You obviously don't understand what Hibs and teams like Hibs operating budgets are.
    Hibs: 64k per week - which wouldn't even be able to afford Super John McGinn's salary - a player they sold 4 years ago for that very reason - he'd outgrown the club.
    Celtic: 440k per week - or 7 times the operating budget of Hibs. If Hibs has a good player, all Celtic needs to do is grease the pot - tell the player they will triple his wages (and still be a steal) and it's going to be next to impossible for Hibs to keep him.

BTW, 64k per week would barely be able to rent Jack Grealish's boots.
    I understand what the Hibs TELL fans their budgets are.

I also understand those budgets are pretty much arbitrary. It's the bare minimum they think they can get away with.

The Hibs ABSOLUTELY could front the money to match Celtic's spending. Ron Gordon's net worth is 1.4 billion dollars. He could find the money to match ANY team in the SPL in the cushions of his couch. If he wanted to.

But he'd rather tell people that there's just no room in the budget to be more than a little fish in a little pond. And people like you lap it up and say, "Mmmm, I love the taste of boot leather. Can I have another lick, sir?"

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

I understand what the Hibs TELL fans their budgets are.

I also understand those budgets are pretty much arbitrary. It's the bare minimum they think they can get away with.

The Hibs ABSOLUTELY could front the money to match Celtic's spending. Ron Gordon's net worth is 1.4 billion dollars. He could find the money to match ANY team in the SPL in the cushions of his couch. If he wanted to.

But he'd rather tell people that there's just no room in the budget to be more than a little fish in a little pond. And people like you lap it up and say, "Mmmm, I love the taste of boot leather. Can I have another lick, sir?"
      The question isn't can they increase their wages - it becomes what is a sustainable amount. You don't make 1.4 billion by running an operation that isn't self-sustaining....

TBH, if I were going to go whole hog - I wouldn't do it with a club in Scotland - there is no media market there. You go to England, get you one of those League 2 teams and build it up over time - Stadium, Training Facilities, roster - etc - because at the end of the journey will be a pot of gold.

There is a reason why they floated the idea of Celtic and Rangers leaving the SPL for the EPL - their team valuations would have morphed exponentially - in a league absolutely choked with media cash.

Comment

• Yeah but, 1.4 billion dollars? That's only three games with Messi.

I know what you're saying but I genuinely don't have an issue with the non spending, nor do I moan about the Cabbage lack of titles......., I moan my a$$ off about my neighbours (neighbors for Jaadam) heading off to Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon.

Two seasons ago, a buddy of mine (Celtic fan) went home and put the kettle on after the title win.
        I asked, what you up to tonight? Going up town? Party?
        "Naaah man, quiet night. Might watch some Netflix with the Mrs."

In 2016, Hibs win the cup......, as Fraquar said...... absolute fucking bender for three days. MUCH better!
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Are there Detroit based people, born and bred, who jump on planes and travel to Green Bay for NFL games?

If there are..... they are cunts.
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
            Yeah but, 1.4 billion dollars? That's only three games with Messi.

I know what you're saying but I genuinely don't have an issue with the non spending, nor do I moan about the Cabbage lack of titles......., I moan my a$$ off about my neighbours (neighbors for Jaadam) heading off to Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon.

Two seasons ago, a buddy of mine (Celtic fan) went home and put the kettle on after the title win.
            I asked, what you up to tonight? Going up town? Party?
            "Naaah man, quiet night. Might watch some Netflix with the Mrs."

In 2016, Hibs win the cup......, as Fraquar said...... absolute fucking bender for three days. MUCH better!
            Well, that's just people. They want to associate with a winner. At the very least, they want to watch teams that are TRYING.

The sentiment seems to be that the Hibs (as a management club) aren't really trying. And they're not. So yeah, you're not going to get too many people buying in. If you want people going to Easter Road, then you need to give them a reason to beyond, "Hey, we're the show in town." That sort of blind adherence to the "local team" is one thing that is (thankfully) dying. No team deserves the support of a fanbase just by virtue of being there.

I maintain that the ownership of Hibernian has the means to field a competitive team. Yes, it would be a risk in the sense that the team probably wouldn't make money on its own initially, but the dude running this team is more than good for it. Get some people who are competent, give the club say... 300-400k a week... and the Hibs could very easily have a team that could fill Easter Road and be successful and make more than enough money.

But that would take effort and competence, and why do that when you can cry poverty and make a decent amount on a skeleton crew budget with whatever flunkies are willing to kiss your ass and tell you how much of a privilege it is to work for you?
            Last edited by chemiclord; August 14, 2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• It's different here in the US. Going to GB is a fucking hike. It is an eight hour drive and their is no direct flights from Metro. You don't want to fly on a puddle jumper from Detroit anyway, it is a harrowing experience. Flying over Lake Michigan on a short flight is bad enough in a big plane.

I don't think the the small fish argument not spending is the same in Europe as it is in the US. There is no safety net in Europe, there has been multiple teams that have spent themselves into receivership. Rangers have finally recovered from their debacle, Leeds have gotten back into the first division after a 15 year odyssey but they don't occupy the same status they did. The US leagues are designed for an incompetent owner to stay in business.

If a team like Hibs spent beyond its means and didn't succeed, they may no longer be a team anymore and Marko would be hoping for a Phoenix team.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                Flying over Lake Michigan on a short flight is bad enough in a big plane.
                Well......, flying over Lake Michigan or driving back to Edinburgh through Coatbridge? Hmmmm. Both dodgy!!

Comment

• The only way it would make any sense for Hibs to spend beyond their means would be if their target is annual DEEP runs in the Champions League. Beyond that it's a complete waste of time.

Win the SPL Title vs 3rd place finish? You get an extra 1 million (total of around 3-4 million).

There isn't money to be had in winning the SPL - and there isn't even a guaranteed place in the Champions League - you still got to qualify for it the following year. Don't do that and you already know before the season gets underway you are running in the red - the only question is how deep red does it get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

Well......, flying over Lake Michigan or driving back to Edinburgh through Coatbridge? Hmmmm. Both dodgy!!
                    Say NO to crop dusters over big lakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                      The only way it would make any sense for Hibs to spend beyond their means would be if their target is annual DEEP runs in the Champions League. Beyond that it's a complete waste of time.

Win the SPL Title vs 3rd place finish? You get an extra 1 million (total of around 3-4 million).

There isn't money to be had in winning the SPL - and there isn't even a guaranteed place in the Champions League - you still got to qualify for it the following year. Don't do that and you already know before the season gets underway you are running in the red - the only question is how deep red does it get.
                      Hibs again showed that Europe will never happen......, humped by Rijeka.

And that part in bold....., yep. Celtic, 9 years in a row winning the SPL......, didnt qualify for 4 out of 9 Champions Leagues......, and when they DID qualify...... finished bottom of their group. Just Scottish fitbaw and at 51 years old...... resigned.

Comment

• The way everything is setup with FFP, there is a limit to what Hibs could actually spend in relation to what Celtic can spend. None of the US leagues have it. In simple terms, there is a defacto salary cap based on the revenue. If they did this in in baseball and you said the teams individual salary cap was 50 percent of revenues. The Jay's salary cap would be 120 million and the Yankees would be 370 million. As it is now there is a defacto salary cap in MLB history where teams like the Yankees will stay below the 210 million dollar tax threshold.

Comment

• Hibs v Kilmarnock today at the Leith San Siro that they call Easter Road Stadium.
                          One of two scenarios will be the outcome.

1. Hibs win, ….. its into the Quarter Final of Scottish League Cup. (Not the Scottish Cup, different trophy) Hope its a good draw because the cabbage can win this!!

2. Hibs lose……., its the Scottish Mickey Mouse Cup that no one G’sAF about anyway….. and can now concentrate on finishing 3rd in the league.

Same shit, different year.

Comment

• 2-0 Hibs.

GREAT trophy!! 👌

FKN GET IN!!

521D584E-CC90-4BFD-BE3E-B53D39B665A2.jpeg

Comment

• Sorry...., possted in wrong thread.

For Froot & Fraq. Hilarious. Especially Moyes.

Join my fantasy football league - Its called "The More Than You Be - League"Hit the link - https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/d4zmweKlopp, P...

Comment

• Nice.
                                "Ole, why did he (Sancho) come to United?"
                                ".....well thankfully Barcelona and Real Madrid were broke, so he came to us - fantastic.."

Comment

Working...
                                X