Matt Stafford is the suckiest suck to ever suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
    Bledsoe was 30 and had already won a SB when he was traded.

Well, I guess that's technically true. Like Brock Osweiler won a SB too. (Though Bledsoe did lead a team to the SB as the starting QB under Parcells).
    I stand corrected, he lost the SB he got to. Still, he'd gotten there and won something.
    I wasn't counting the Brady year.

Comment

• Bledsoe did QB the AFC championship game the year Brady took over. It was from the second quarter I believe after a Brady injury.

Comment

• Mike Florio video breakdowns Matt Stafford situation. Explains why he hasn't been a leader. Basically saying he's a bridge QB who never wanted to be a franchise QB, leader or hard ass like Brad and Manning who demand excellence from their teammates

Lions won’t have much time to make a decision on Matthew Stafford

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tthew-stafford

USATSI_15236072-e1607179665725.jpg
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 313LionsFan; December 5, 2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• My guess is Stafford’s career would look a little better if he had played for Parcells and Belichick.

Comment

• I think outsiders don't understand how hard it is to be the quarterback of the Lions. They make these crazy assertions that if only the QB would chew people out of be a billy bad ass that it would turn around the franchise. They have watched too many Hollywood movies. Stafford always answers the questions,.speaks for the franchise when other alleged leaders dodge the media. There has never been a time where he has looked Lionized. Most people complaining about Stafford are doing so because they view the quarterback position as the failsafe for bad franchise decisions. No quarterback can make up for all the crap the Lions have done. They have never had enough talent.

I always bring this up, but the Wings of the early 90s always bombed out early in the playoffs and they had a very talented team. Yzerman wasn't the leader he needed to be supposedly, in fact when they won in 97 it was much easier to see in hindsight that those teams while talented didn't have enough. If the Lions ever win a Superbowl, it will be easier to see how much talent they lacked during the Stafford years.

Comment

My guess is Stafford’s career would look a little better if he had played for Parcells and Belichick.
              I'm not sure he could handle Bill Parcells roughness. Phil Simms took a lot of mental abuse from Parcells but as Carl Banks recently mentioned Sims was a true leader. Staffy couldn't handle Matt Patricia from what I've read. Stafford doesn't want to be a leader; that's not his style. It all makes sense to me now.

Comment

• Pretty much every player that’s ever played with Stafford talks about his toughness and leadership. Patricia was a paper tiger, all the bluster, none of the substance. Hard to take a defensive genius seriously while he puts record setting bad defenses on the field year after year.

Comment

Pretty much every player that’s ever played with Stafford talks about his toughness and leadership. Patricia was a paper tiger, all the bluster, none of the substance. Hard to take a defensive genius seriously while he puts record setting bad defenses on the field year after year.
                  I think he's a leader by example. As Florio mentioned, Stafford never wanted to be a franchise qb. He's not going to demand excellence from teammates because he's not confrontational. He's a bridge gap qb. He's owed at 10 million roster bonus in March with a 34 million dollar cap hit. I think the lions will hire gm quickly and try to trade him asap especially if they are truly rebuilding

Comment

• If bridge qb means he's the best qb you will ever see in a Lion uniform, then you are right. Florio is an outsider who doesn't have a clue about the Lion franchise dynamics and has watched too many Hollywood movies.

Again when all of the leaders are ducking the tough questions, Stafford never shies away, he is a leader and a franchise quarterback but the franchise has been shit. Not enough fucking talent, that is the Lion problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      If bridge qb means he's the best qb you will ever see in a Lion uniform, then you are right. Florio is an outsider who doesn't have a clue about the Lion franchise dynamics and has watched too many Hollywood movies.

Again when all of the leaders are ducking the tough questions, Stafford never shies away, he is a leader and a franchise quarterback but the franchise has been shit. Not enough fucking talent, that is the Lion problem.
                      This idea that Stafford "didn't want to be a franchise QB" is almost as dumb of a narrative as he didn't have "toughness" or "leadership." These pundits (and fans) get it in their head that a franchise QB should be screaming angrily at coaches and teammates whenever anything goes wrong, because that's how you show you're tough and an "alpha." You're right that it's a Hollywood movie type trope, and a really dumb one at that.

Even the most "alpha" franchise QBs are VERY sparing with their venom, because it turns out it's actually only effective when used sparingly. Part of Rodgers's problem (along with a front office that kneecapped themselves repeatedly) was that the talent they DID get grew very tired of his antics and wanted out. This nebulous idea that if Stafford behaved more like "alpha QBs" then the team would be better is basically Lions fanfiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

This idea that Stafford "didn't want to be a franchise QB" is almost as dumb of a narrative as he didn't have "toughness" or "leadership." These pundits (and fans) get it in their head that a franchise QB should be screaming angrily at coaches and teammates whenever anything goes wrong, because that's how you show you're tough and an "alpha." You're right that it's a Hollywood movie type trope, and a really dumb one at that.

Even the most "alpha" franchise QBs are VERY sparing with their venom, because it turns out it's actually only effective when used sparingly. Part of Rodgers's problem (along with a front office that kneecapped themselves repeatedly) was that the talent they DID get grew very tired of his antics and wanted out. This nebulous idea that if Stafford behaved more like "alpha QBs" then the team would be better is basically Lions fanfiction.
                        Chem, I agree with some of what you are saying. Being a qb requires extra. That comes with the position whether we like it or not. That's why they are paid more and take the brunt of most criticism. Look at Wentz. Some coaches look for those leadership characteristics. Can he motivate and push players. We know Stafford isn't comfortable doing that. He doesn't eat sleep and drink football. How do u know? 2017 was the first time he worked with a qb coach during an off-season. That's telling to me

Comment

• Lofl

Those other adjectives are cute but take serious notice of how the adjective of smart, as in, "he can routinely read an NFL defense," is almost always aptly avoided.

Chuck & luck and stoopid is no way to go through life as an NFL QB:

​​​​​​Derp de derp

Last edited by Panoptes; December 5, 2020, 01:08 PM.
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Let's play a game. I'm gonna show you an analysis of a couple of QBs.

First:

Undersized for an NFL quarterback, and while nimble he's not a top scrambler. Will sometimes force balls downfield and overthrow his targets. Not getting any younger.
                            Second:

Throws an effortless deep ball. Mobile enough to evade sacks. Never gives up, and is a good leader on and off the field. Sometimes depends a little too much on his O-line blocking, and can get off his game when opponents consistently pressure the pocket and upset his rhythm. Will sometimes get a little predictable favoring his go-to receivers.
                            Gee. Those sound an awful lot like Stafford! Especially since none of them mention "ability to read defenses!"

But wait! They aren't about Stafford at all! Nope. They're actually taking about Drew Brees in the first example and Tom Brady in the second one, two gentlemen who would NEVER be accused of being unable to read NFL defenses. It's almost like these "analysis" are just a bunch of buzzwords thrown together and don't bother with granularity because they know the instant they go beyond generic observations like "smart" their readers eyes will gloss over and they'll stop reading!

Now, that's not saying Stafford is an elite mind at the position. But that people aren't going to be talking about his ability to read defenses because not even NFL pundits are going to be talking about something so incredibly inane.

Comment

• filehead-up-assjpg-clipart-of-a-man-with-his-head-up-his-ass-350_394.jpg

19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• It would be interesting to see which team(s) would want Stafford. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of him until a replacement had been found and proven. Even Tua found himself unable to play requiring an injection of Fitzmagic to finish the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X