Matt Stafford is the suckiest suck to ever suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DetroitRockCity View Post
    It would be interesting to see which team(s) would want Stafford. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of him until a replacement had been found and proven. Even Tua found himself unable to play requiring an injection of Fitzmagic to finish the game.
    Here's the $64 question - what does "proven" mean?
    Lamar Jackson threw all of 170 passes when the Ravens cut ties with Flacco and statistically he was worse than Flacco in every metric except the W/L column.
    At some point you have to realize what we have isn't good enough to get to where we want to go (in the Ravens case to get back to where they were) and we need to go a new direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

Here's the $64 question - what does "proven" mean?
      Lamar Jackson threw all of 170 passes when the Ravens cut ties with Flacco and statistically he was worse than Flacco in every metric except the W/L column.
      At some point you have to realize what we have isn't good enough to get to where we want to go (in the Ravens case to get back to where they were) and we need to go a new direction.
      And if your new guy is shit... then what? It's a big step from college to the NFL. A lotta guys just don't make it. Are we gonna take a scrambler and try to make him a pocket passer? Think in terms of safety net. That's what I'm thinking, anyway. Re: Flacco... he made a huge regression his last year.

We have a coaching change happening. Who knows how it may affect Stafford.

Comment

And if your new guy is shit... then what? It's a big step from college to the NFL. A lotta guys just don't make it. Are we gonna take a scrambler and try to make him a pocket passer? Think in terms of safety net. That's what I'm thinking, anyway. Re: Flacco... he made a huge regression his last year.

Stafford should not be a factor in any decision being made going forward, regardless of whether the intention is to keep or deal him. That's something that I think all of us would agree with.

The issue is the Haters Club who continues to insist he sucks because he can't single-handedly will the Lions to victory. They will hate his replacement for the exact same reason, and be just as ignorant about the real problem.

Comment

If the new guy is shit, would it really be any different than it is now?
          That is the point right there. This team is only good enough to beat below average teams - nothing more - with Stafford.
          Translation? You won't make the playoffs often, and when you do, well you aren't playing a below average team come playoff time.
          At some point you have to realize the status quo isn't enough.

Again, that is up to the new GM and HC to decide, and if you have an owner making that decision - well, it's going to be business as usual.

All I know is Stafford's contract and his age and the fact the Lions haven't won shit with him - it's at that point where a clean break is very easy to do

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            The issue is the Haters Club who continues to insist he sucks because he can't single-handedly will the Lions to victory. They will hate his replacement for the exact same reason, and be just as ignorant about the real problem.
            I assume soccer and the NFL can't be used together to ask about whether certain sportsmen can differ in ability? I'll ask anyway.

Liverpool do not win an EPL title in the EPLs 27 year history......., then in the 28th year, Liverpool have Mo Salah. A prolific goalscorer who nets a lot of his chances given. And a high percentage of his goals were goals whereby he created the chances himself, and scored. Some say he singlehandedly brought Liverpool the glory. Like Dalglish back in the 70s.

Could this not apply to Stafford? To be more like Brady and pinpoint drop passes into receivers hands? I'm asking ........., because fk knows?!

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

I assume soccer and the NFL can't be used together to ask about whether certain sportsmen can differ in ability? I'll ask anyway.

Liverpool do not win an EPL title in the EPLs 27 year history......., then in the 28th year, Liverpool have Mo Salah. A prolific goalscorer who nets a lot of his chances given. And a high percentage of his goals were goals whereby he created the chances himself, and scored. Some say he singlehandedly brought Liverpool the glory. Like Dalglish back in the 70s.

Could this not apply to Stafford? To be more like Brady and pinpoint drop passes into receivers hands? I'm asking ........., because fk knows?!
              Brady has had a couple pretty terrible games lately.

But, ya.... you could say Stafford is not a Gretzky. But nobody is.

Swift is not Barry.

Golladay is not CJ.

Hock is no Ebron for that matter..

I think an individual player can have more effect in other sports aside from NFL football, which requires talent at multiple levels to really succeed (hence the Lions problem). And it is pretty likely that Brady would not have all (or any of) those rings had he been drafted by the Lions. I would estimate the likelyhood of the Lions finding Quarterback Jesus who can succeed despite the Lions team talent to be exactly zero.

The QB is probably not going to matter for a couple of years for Detroit at a minimum, and I would be OK seeing Stafford on a professional football team for shits and giggles personally.
              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Meh. We're all just enraged fans arguing for the sake of arguing. All we can really do is wait to see what the future holds. Maybe someday we'll get the second reincarnation of Mahomes. But we need a lot of other pieces. We don't really know the potential of who we have because they were playing under shithead Patricia. The next five games will say as much about our players as they do about Bevell. Goof luck Lions fans!

Comment

• YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!! Argo thread!!!!!!!!! It's Festivus come early!!!! I've got a lot of grievances, and you bitches are gonna hear about them!!!!!!!!!!
                  Lions Fans.

Comment

1) It wasn't JUST Salah. It was a committed effort by Jorgen Klopp and Liverpool to bring in talent at EVERY level.

2) What Stafford is being asked to do is like asking Salah to hop on over to Sheffield and take them to the Champions League. If he can't do it, well then he sucks and the team should transfer him and get someone else. No one player, regardless of who that player is, will be able to take a relegation level team to the top of the table. That's not how any team sport works outside of the NBA (and even that is a relatively rare occurrence).
                    Last edited by chemiclord; December 5, 2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

They have elevated the QB position to that level of status - people just refuse to acknowledge that.
                      40-50 years ago, the QB was "rarely" drafted in the 1st round - it was a team game that needed everyone - and the 1st Rd picks reflected that.
                      Nowadays, the QB is the "savior", the guy to lead a team to the promised land - and putting his name on the dotted line acknowledges that fact.

Even with Mo Salah, it still took them ('Pool) 3 years to get a title, including inking a CB to a contract of unthinkable levels.....

Winning titles is fucking hard, no matter the sport. What you need is for your studs to play like studs - not like duds.

Comment

• Even with Salah, they didn't win anything until they got VVD and Allison. Look at Liverpool under the Brodge when they lost the title after Garrard's slip. They were a very talented team, almost won the title. That team pales in comparison to the current squad. It can be argued every single position was upgraded in 5 years.

You need talent everywhere, the Lions just haven't had it. I'm the last 20 years they have had two squads that started to look like contenders for about a half a season. But they never had enough talent, they have never gotten back to the talent level of the 90s.

The thought that Stafford wasn't enough of a leader to make these guys talented is hilarious. No stern talks were going to make Teez Tabor any faster.

Comment

• I was going to say "VILLA'S GOT MCGINN......., SUPER JOHN MCGINN"..... but you changed Villa to Sheffield! Which one? United or Wednesday? Cos it'll need to be in two seasons for Wednesday!

Nah, I get your points and thanks for sharing. I genuinely don't see soccer as simple as having a great striker is going to bring titles....., it is indeed damn hard to win titles....., Its just the Tom Brady thing with 5 rings and all that etc. Seems like he's constantly been surrounded by top end talent.
                          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• In any analysis it is probably better off not trying to figure out how they did it. Of all the dynastical football teams they are an anomaly. They have been very good at finding players and getting value out of them that only they can get value out of. A lot of players they have had were pumpkins before they went to NE and immediately turn back into pumpkins when they leave NE.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              A lot of players they have had were pumpkins before they went to NE and immediately turn back into pumpkins when they leave NE.
                              The opposite of Hibs then? (or more accurately, Detroit)

But "we" (I hate that!) did have McGinn.

3am and youtubing 2016 Hibs shit? Bedtime i think.

Comment

• And before that VW got an Allison in it, They never got under Garrard's sister's slip.

OK, I don't know this language.
                                Lions Fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X