Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    I was being facetious on that from Hoss, you don't agree with me thankfully.
    Heh. It is a bit of self-indulgence for certain, but I could not honestly say that its not a course I would dismiss out of hand. It would punish children for actions of the adults charged with their upbringing...but IDK how else you could change attitudes long-term.

And this isn't to say that DoEd doesn't need to be slapped around some either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
      ....... Jeff:

Just remember that all charter schools are public schools. This is not a public/private issue. Vouchers are the public/private issue.
      I'm fully aware of that ....... my view is that education, like a lot of other things, is, at some level, a responsibility of government.

I have an open mind about bringing the concept of profit making into public education. That concept, it seems to me, could be a positive or it could be a negative in achieving the goal of creating sound public education through government action.

Geezer, sometimes I wonder if you completely read posts here.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• No one reads anything anymore, Jeff.

As a young medic, decades ago, I was working a dodgy area of town: The 3rd Avenue West area of Birmingham. Projects and rent-controlled housing, pawn shops, check cashing stores, and strip clubs dotted the landscape just a few miles from "historic" Legion Field.

My EMT and I received a call to a "gentleman's" club. A well-known 'blue bloater' (a patient with chronic bronchitis) had smoked too many cigarettes and exacerbated his condition and needed help. Or that was what we were told. That help was usually O2, a bronchodilator, and a nice ride to a local ER.

We made our way through the back entrance of the club and were led to the VIP area (there is SOMETIMES sex in the Champagne Room), where our blue bloated friend was found to not to be just having difficulty breathing, he was in full arrest with his pants down at his ankles. I gave a pressor, we did cpr, shock, wash, rinse, repeat. In those days, the anti-dysrhythmic was lidocaine, just like your dentist uses, and a drug called bretylium. Both have fallen out of favor in recent years. And Bretylium has the unfortunate side effect of projectile vomiting in some. More on that later.

Anyway, cops arrived halfway through the code. Let something happen at a strip club, and the Boys in Blue respond quickly. Hey, who doesn't like seeing titties? The cop was a FTO (field training officer) sergeant I knew who was a blowhard and was trying to impress his young burr-cut-wearing fresh graduate of the BPD Academy.

So, seeing the guy's pants down he realizes the guy was getting some head and proceeds -during my code- to try and round up the girls to find out which one was selling her feminine wiles. What an asshole.

We get a pulse back (long term COPDers are surprisingly resilient. They've lived on no O2 so long a little thing like a MI doesn't scare them), and as we're getting him on the gurney, the good sergeant asks, "you pop him with morphine?" As I was about to lie 'yes' my green EMT says, "Nope!" The cop was asking because he had learned that any testimony while under heathcare-provided mind altering drugs like an opiate were a tough sell to the DA.

So, the good sergeant leaned in and asked the guy, "Which girl was it?" The patient mumbled something incoherent which drew Sgt Blowhard closer and he instinctively put his ear over the patient's mouth as we rolled to the ambulance. The patient opened up and a forceful stream of vomitus bathed the head and chest of the good sergeant. It was like a firehose of cheap beer puke and it couldn't have drenched him more if he had tried.

One of my funniest moments as a medic. I laughed until I almost threw up, too. And now, no one has read this story, either.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Hilarious read ...... my stint in the ER taught me to stay far away from nursing home residents who were sent to us becauee they were pale, lethargic, weak and thought by the nursing home staff to have constipation or something like rectal impaction. OK, no big deal, Code Brown. Carry on. Summon the nurse who while digging out the impacted stool discovers the patient has a GI bleed suddenly released in a torrent of bloody diarrhea. Oh, the stink. Staff two floors up would call down and ask what that smell was. Awful.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, that GI bleed smell is something special ...feces, blood, stomach contents and acid...just horrible.
            Last edited by AlabamAlum; January 19, 2017, 07:01 PM.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Classic story, you ought to put out a book, AA Fact of Fiction.

Comment

• It's all fiction. AA sells street tacos in Montgomery. Tell him Alabama has shit Mexican food. I dare you.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• good story AA. I'll bet no other forum in the US is discussing GI bleeding and resultant smells at this very moment.

Comment

• Haha. STREET TACOS ARE DELICIOUS!

My fiction usually has a hook or is over-the top (hunting tigers during the Second Opium War).

That story has no hook and no wildness. No one to draw in to do a gotcha on. So, it is true. Not that it matters. No one believes or reads anything.

Comment

• My wife had to work on a guy in dire health that was either bed ridden or a hermit, but had 20 or 25 cats. I guess he just smell of cat shit and when they drew blood it the pungent smell of cat urine overtook the room. After hearing that story, I instructed her to refrain from sharing some of her worst stories.

Comment

• Little known fact: AA has a bunch of how-to videos on youtube, mostly regarding southern BBQ.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpNmts-Mtqk"]Make your own McRib - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• GI smells...try being around entropy after 2/3 of a Giodonros, six Millers and a purloined bottle of cheap scotch on a road trip. There are rumors that the hotel staff called in Hans Blixx to check out his floor.

Comment

• Oh, I have some gross stories.

I became an RN about a year after that medic story. Being an RN paid more than being a paramedic. Then I went back and became an NP. I later got a few degrees in business, which led me to admin. I guess Talent is the only one who knows of those early days here. I usually don't mention it, because I get weak "nurse ratchett" sass from some less clever board denizens.

Anyway, As a young RN, I was working in SICU. Grandma had an aortic aneurysm repair, was extubated and cleared to go to step down. There was a hold up, somewhere, so her move was delayed. She was hungry, so I got the tech to get her a tray of food.

The daughter had put her dentures in a bag before her surgery and pulled them out so she could eat. I was taking out her central line as her daughter pulled them from a bag. They reeked. The smell was immediate; and on the denture was this green, gelatinous plug of mucous. Or Something. Food maybe. Been there for a couple of days I guess.

Grandma, undeterred, took the denture, brought it to her mouth, and sucked-up and ate this stinking glob of whatever and I about lost it. Had to leave the room.
                            Last edited by AlabamAlum; January 19, 2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              Little known fact: AA has a bunch of how-to videos on youtube, mostly regarding southern BBQ.

Make your own McRib - YouTube
                              Bastard! McRibs, like white sauce, is an abomination.

Comment

• Correction. Talent and jrg98 know of my roots as a RN.

Comment

Working...
                                X