Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
    Harbaugh's wife is pregnant. That man does not have a varmint gun.
    :D

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
      Harbaugh's wife is pregnant. That man does not have a varmint gun.
      He should be banned.

Comment

• Well, the Senate has rejected both parties' rather tame attempts at improving background checks and delaying firearm access (for 3 whole days) to potential terrorists. Along party lines no less. A compromise bill didn't even get a vote. I think its time to change the Constitution and limit Congressional terms to a single term. It is painfully apparent that re-election, not responsible governing, is the prime mover on Capital Hill.

I think we should hold elections on July 4th instead of November this year. AFTER we air drop our so-called representatives into North Korea. Lets start with a clean slate.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Per the usual. How anyone can be against background checks boggles my mind but it is what it is. 'MERICA!

Good plan, Jon. I give it my full support.

Comment

• Against MORE background checks. Another symbolic bill is brought to the floor for defeat so that the it may be run on in November.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Sounds like the Republicans actually grew a pair and defeated some knee-jerk legislation. I mean -- 8 days later? Wow. I wish that my side had that kind of hubris. Holy shit.

France has much tougher gun laws than the US and last year they experienced a massacre in which more than twice as many people died. That was less than a year after a dozen Charlie Hebdo employees were massacred on French soil. It's almost as if there is another common denominator at work!

Comment

• One of them is guns. But, there are numbers available here. In fact an orgy of them, so you can have the facts if you wish. ``But even if France had a mass shooting as deadly as the Paris attacks every month, its annual rate of gun homicide death would be lower than that in the United States.'' See more here.

Comment

• I think we should hold elections on July 4th instead of November this year. AFTER we air drop our so-called representatives into North Korea. Lets start with a clean slate.
                  Do you really hate North Korea that badly?

Sheesh, Jon ... such a meanie ...
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                    One of them is guns.
                    But not gun laws, which is what we are talking about here.

Originally posted by hack View Post
                    But, there are numbers available here. In fact an orgy of them.
                    There are also numbers showing that gun laws have never worked in the United States and that gun violence has decreased in the country as gun laws have gotten looser.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; June 21, 2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• with all the concerns about what words should be used in the shooters transcript, I thought this picture was fitting:

Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                        But not gun laws, which is what we are talking about here.

There are also numbers showing that gun laws have never worked in the United States and that gun violence has decreased in the country as gun laws have gotten looser.
                        If the topic is gun laws in the US and France, I would think the rate of gun-involved killings would be a relevant data point. You'll have to some up with some much higher-quality bullshit to obscure that.
                        Last edited by hack; June 21, 2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Part of me would actually love to see a total ban on guns in the US and the marginal, if any, dent in the homicide rate that would follow.

As it is, any new gun law will do nothing in macro sense and thus fuel the need to do more!!!!

And while I enjoy comparing Canada, France and other countries to the US, it's also interesting to look at, you know, different regions in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vi...tates_by_state

Of the 50 States and DC, the area with the lowest rate of gun ownership is DC -- by a lot. The area with the highest rate of gun homicides is DC -- by a lot. The state with the highest rate of gun ownership is Wyoming. Wyoming has the 9th lowest gun homicide rate. But, generally, when you look at gun ownership and homicide rate differences between the states, there doesn't appear to much correlation.

Meanwhile, internationally, I think it only fair to look at North America in total. Sure, we have Canada with roughly 30 guns per 100 citizens and the US with a staggering 112ish per 100 citizens. And, of course, Mexico, with 15 guns per 100 citizens. Gun homicide rates? -- 0.4; 3.4; 6.3. The North American country with the fewest guns per capita, by far, has the highest gun homicide rate, by far.

Brazil has an even lower per capita rate of gun ownership than Mexico, and an even higher gun homicide rate.

Obviously, when it comes to homicide and even gun homicide, there are far, far, far more important and determinative factors.

Comment

• The US has roughly 4X the number of guns that France has per capita and a gun-related homicide rate of roughly 17X. Approximately the same numbers apply for Canada and Sweden.

If guns:gun murders were directly proportional then one would expect 4X in the US for gun-related homicides. Similarly, one would expect Mexico and most South American countries to have a way lower gun-related murder rate than European countries, Canada and the US. One would also expect that Wyoming and DC would have exactly the opposite murder rates.

Comment

• Unbelievably cogent
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• If guns:gun murders were directly proportional then one would expect 4X in the US for gun-related homicides.

Who said anything about ``directly proportional''? Go on and muddy the waters for whatever reason, but there's no debate here.

Comment

Working...
                                X