No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, you are better off talking about Jacksonian Democracy or the Nullification crisis if you are going to invoke Old Hickory. Steer clear of his view on banks or his big heart.

It's a time honored tradition of a President to invoke predecessors to try an get across a larger theme. They all do it, but generally they know what they are talking about. Stick to the big hits, ignore the warts, get out.

Comment

• the politically powerful set in motion succession for slavery

the men who fought and led did so for the state over feds

they did not fight to preserve slavery they fought to preserve the state

most of the generals and almost all the enlisted

Comment

• I never really got the argument that the cotton gin was going solve slavery. The cotton gin was not a self-propelled mower...using it was still back-breaking labor that plantation owners were not going to pay poor whites to do. Nor was picking cotton the only activity slaves were used for in the south.

Slavery was going nowhere until it was blasted off the continent by the guns of the North.

Comment

• hoss.. it was a joke.
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• jeff..

southern states were concerned that as territories became states (and they were slave free), they'd be outvoted in the future. The political powers at the time saw this as a long term attack on slavery.
            Last edited by entropy; May 2, 2017, 12:01 PM.
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• It was mentioned upthread.

Comment

• The Cotton Gin made slavery much more profitable. It may have been an institution but it was for some slave owners a money losing institution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                  By 1861 a CW was a foregone conclusion.
                  Agree. The North had made major concessions on tariffs and the establishment of a central bank, among others, and the two sides still teetered on the brink of war before the election.

Slavery was the fight...and as has been posted already, many of the articles of succession state this clearly.

Comment

• The War of Southern Aggression was more about States Rights than Slavery...Slavery just happened to be the burning issue re States Rights. I don't even accept the southern bumfucks as equal states now...which is why SEC football dominance must be stopped!

AA:

hello
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The CW was fought over slavery, nothing else that, in it's aftermath, revisionist historians tried to say otherwise.
                      While many still debate the ultimate causes of the Civil War, Pulitzer Prize-winning author James McPherson writes that, "The Civil War started because of uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states .......

I'd offer that, aside from a few curious takes on history, most historians would argue that the Civil was unquestionably fought over slavery, that issue having been kicked around since 1776.
                      Are you saying James McPherson is a revisionist historian? I'd be happy for a reference of any book that supports your "fact" that "the Civil Was was fought over slavery, nothing else..." I'd like to read it. Or just give me a historian that supports your simplistic and politically correct rewrite of what actually happened. There were many causes of the Civil War.

Just a simple question: If the war was fought only over slavery, why didn't Lincoln ban slavery in the slave states that stayed in the Union?

Comment

• The states that seceded all had their reasons...they weren't all in complete agreement as far as their priorities for secession...this is a lot more complex than just saying it's about States Rights/Federal Power or slavery...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Actually, they were pretty much in agreement re the principle reason they seceded.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I heard that Texas wanted its own newspaper...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• False. They wanred their own telegraph network...The Longhorn Telegraph Network.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• It was destined to make hundreds.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X