No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tend to agree with Dershowitz on obstruction and the President, at least when it comes to the exercise of Constitutionally granted powers. The President, of course, can still be criminally liable for obstruction if he kills a witness, heh. But, if he's managing his own house (the massive Executive Branch) or granting a pardon, I really don't think so.

Anyway, I certainly think he has more credibility than, say, the laughably partisan Toobin.

More specifically, this is Obstruction: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/t...t-I/chapter-73 One can look through the statute, but this the provision that conceivably applies: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1510 (obstruction of criminal investigations).

Obstruction hinges on obstructing discovery of a criminal transgression. You cannot be criminally liable for obstructing the discovery of non-criminal transgressions. If you lie to the FBI about cheating on your wife then that's just perjury, not obstruction. (*Side note, I loathe the emerge criminal investigation technique of pinning perjury charges on folks for unrelated, non-substantive answers to investigators*)

So, there is no obstruction without the underlying predicate crime to obstruct. That's not going to be collusion. It could be financial. But the obstruction stuff is bootstrapping -- you have to establish the crime first. That's STILL the key issue. The more folks start talking obstruction the more I think they have nothing on the predicate.

* The Clinton investigation was authorized by congressional statute, which means...
    a. A crime must be found
    b. Investigator is subject to political and/or congressional oversight
    Part (a) is absolutely fucking false. Feel free to read through the sunsetted law (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/t...-II/chapter-40) and tell me anywhere in that statute that says a crime MUST be found.

The former statute basically gave the AG discretion to institute preliminary investigations. If they found something that warranted further investigation then they would pass it off to the Independent Counsel. If the AG determined there was no need to investigate further, that was it. Dead. If the AG thought an investigation was proper or let the time lapse, then they shipped it off the a 3-judge panel from the DC Circuit to appoint an Independent Counsel.

The IC then conducted the investigation. Critically, the IC was not subject to removal by the AG except for ridiculously obvious cause -- hence, they were independent. The IC was required to "cooperate" with oversight from Congress and to provide an annual report to Congress on the the IC's efforts (as well as send periodic reports to both the 3-judge panel to mostly justify expenses (govt is finnicky about spending taxpayer money). The IC also had to inform Congress *IF* there were impeachable offenses.

So, first off -- millen's argument to distinguish Clinton/DJT that crimes "MUST" be found versus no such requirement for Mueller is demonstrably false. So, the only really distinction is Congressional oversight or not. I happen to think that could be an important distinction. It certainly implicates separation of powers.

That said, in practice, what happened? Clinton -- CLINTON instituted the process and had Reno review Whitewater (and if Clinton had said, nah, don't bother, Janet -- that would NOT have been obstruction, IMO). They appointed an IC and then that IC was replaced for a conflict of interest by the DC Circuit. That IC then ran roughshod. In this particularly case, the mechanics are almost identical.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• pretty much word for word what I was going to post

Comment

• In that case, I'll delete and kill The Wizard post haste.

Comment

• An interesting article concerning the accuracy of data mining.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Sessions declines to create a second special counsel but has appointed the US Attorney from Utah (John Huber) to investigate alleged FBI misconduct

This will likely infuriate Trump, his closest congressional allies, and the board's Trumpists. Espically when they hear that John Huber was originally appointed by THE DREAD OBAMA

Comment

• I doubt it, thinking the opposite will happen. There are two camps at play here. One is the people that can only be charitably called 'impressionable". Much like the young children who believe that the dog in Blue's Clues is a living animal. Then there are those that are pandering to delusions of Chump in order to curry political favor, willing to distort or ignore facts as exampled by Nunes and his hilarious piece of fiction. Fric and Frac, the nutjobs of the right.

The story line is one of paranoia. The FBI is part of a vast left wing conspiracy, deeply entrenched throughout the gov't, that is secretly and nefariously seeking to undermine and remove the holiest of holy, Donald "J is for Jenius" Trump. Aided by the insidious DOJ, the ultimate goal is the implementation of a modern day American Illuminati. All of this being financed by Obama and Hillary.

For both the delusional and the craven alike, the appointment of Huber to investigate the FBI is a fantasy vindication of their wildest wet dreams. They will claim that no investigation would have been allowed to start without 'proof' of some sort of conspiracy. And as nothing is uncovered, beyond some agents holding the same opinion as the majority of the electorate that DJT is a despicable unqualified POS, it will give birth to MORE fantasies of Huber being obstructed, etc etc.

Sessions is trying to have it both ways. Cave to the pressure of the right by allowing a political faction to attempt to legitimize a Trumpanzee hallucination but by the same token not become a puppet of Putin's cock holster. There will be enormous pressure from Chump and his sycophants to quickly come to a predetermined conclusion. This is no more than a pathetic White House organized attempt to undermine the Mueller investigation and the credibility of his investigative resources. Led by their nose-rings, the Trumpanzees will point at the Huber investigation every time the Russia investigation is mentioned. Distort, distract, deny.

I wonder how Huber feels about being used as a pawn. I'm proud of my job, I will conduct my assignment with integrity, yet I am being used as a political propaganda ploy by the forces of evil. It must really suck for him.

At any rate, just another ring in our current political circus.
              Last edited by Ghengis Jon; March 30, 2018, 06:36 AM.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I really hope the next time Chump visits California, it slides off into the ocean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                  I doubt it, thinking the opposite will happen. There are two camps at play here. One is the people that can only be charitably called 'impressionable". Much like the young children who believe that the dog in Blue's Clues is a living animal. Then there are those that are pandering to delusions of Chump in order to curry political favor, willing to distort or ignore facts as exampled by Nunes and his hilarious piece of fiction. Fric and Frac, the nutjobs of the right.

The story line is one of paranoia. The FBI is part of a vast left wing conspiracy, deeply entrenched throughout the gov't, that is secretly and nefariously seeking to undermine and remove the holiest of holy, Donald "J is for Jenius" Trump. Aided by the insidious DOJ, the ultimate goal is the implementation of a modern day American Illuminati. All of this being financed by Obama and Hillary.

For both the delusional and the craven alike, the appointment of Huber to investigate the FBI is a fantasy vindication of their wildest wet dreams. They will claim that no investigation would have been allowed to start without 'proof' of some sort of conspiracy. And as nothing is uncovered, beyond some agents holding the same opinion as the majority of the electorate that DJT is a despicable unqualified POS, it will give birth to MORE fantasies of Huber being obstructed, etc etc.

Sessions is trying to have it both ways. Cave to the pressure of the right by allowing a political faction to attempt to legitimize a Trumpanzee hallucination but by the same token not become a puppet of Putin's cock holster. There will be enormous pressure from Chump and his sycophants to quickly come to a predetermined conclusion. This is no more than a pathetic White House organized attempt to undermine the Mueller investigation and the credibility of his investigative resources. Led by their nose-rings, the Trumpanzees will point at the Huber investigation every time the Russia investigation is mentioned. Distort, distract, deny.

I wonder how Huber feels about being used as a pawn. I'm proud of my job, I will conduct my assignment with integrity, yet I am being used as a political propaganda ploy by the forces of evil. It must really suck for him.

At any rate, just another ring in our current political circus.
                  well, both sides are sitting in a movie theater, watching the same movie, but describing something completely different that's on the screen.

How do you tell you are in a mass hysteria bubble experiencing cogitative dissonance? rhetorical, because I want you to actually think about it

Comment

• Trump attacking Amazon and trying to blow up its business model in favor of the JC Penny's and Sears of the world will surely appeal to all voters under the age of 60.

EDIT: It should also be noted his attacks on Amazon are factually wrong. Amazon pays sales tax in every state that has it, and the Post Office in the past has repeatedly said they make money off their deal with Amazon. Package service has never been what loses money for the PO...it's rural delivery.
                    Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; March 30, 2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Uh oh. His approval rating may dip to the lower bounds of his hard 39.71 -- 40.23 range.

Comment

• Fuckin Luddites

Comment

• "Shut up and dribble"

"No one cares what you Hollywood leftists think!!"

"Welcome to the show: FABIO!"

[ame]https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/979522233998692352[/ame]

Comment

• For crash:

Seth Rich's brother is now also suing Fox's 'highly reputable' sources for conspiracy theories

The brother of Seth Rich, the Democratic National Committee staffer whose unsolved murder became the basis for conspiracy theories on the far-right, filed suit against individuals and media organizations that he alleges peddled false and unfounded claims about him. 

Comment

• Russian hacker believed to have stolen data from LinkedIn, DropBox, and others was extradited from the Czech Republic to the US. Significant, because Russia was heavily pressuring the Czechs to give him back to them (they claim he is merely a humble Lamborghini dealer)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                                well, both sides are sitting in a movie theater, watching the same movie, but describing something completely different that's on the screen.

How do you tell you are in a mass hysteria bubble experiencing cogitative dissonance?

......rhetorical, because I want you to actually think about it
                                Mass hysteria? A bit over the top, Kap. You simply have two camps with different opinions based on observation. None of this is rational except where it comes to the law ..... and I think we've had some pretty good lessons on this here.

Think about it? I have. My view, observational or empirical (the senses), of course but my view is supported by a degree of rationalism or, in this case, by the law, is that Trump has attempted to create a reality that can be substantially demonstrated is based on falsehoods.

Our role as citizens is to separate fact from fiction, soap opera theatrics from factual evidence based news to arrive at reasonable conclusions about what is real and what is not. e.g., I think it safe to say, there is no DJT collusion with the Russians to influence the outcome of the 2016 election based on the factual evidence and the law as we understand both to date.

Empirically, it's pretty clear to my senses that Trump attempts to create perceptions and/or understanding of him and his polices that are not rational. But this view is both entirely assailable and nothing new for political figures including the President. Therefore, I'm not shocked or dismayed at all.

We can form true beliefs just by making lucky guesses. How to gain warranted beliefs is less clear. Moreover, to know the truth, we must think about it, and it is unclear how we gain the concepts we use in thought or what assurance, if any, we have that the ways in which we see the truth using our concepts correspond to the truth that actually exists.

Bottom line: Trump hasn't done anything (yet) that clears the bar for criminal charges or by extension, impeachment - allowing that impeachment can be an entirely political undertaking, however, I'd prefer it be based on the law.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X