Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    Mass hysteria? A bit over the top, Kap. You simply have two camps with different opinions based on observation. None of this is rational except where it comes to the law ..... and I think we've had some pretty good lessons on this here.

Think about it? I have. My view, observational or empirical (the senses), of course but my view is supported by a degree of rationalism or, in this case, by the law, is that Trump has attempted to create a reality that can be substantially demonstrated is based on falsehoods.

Our role as citizens is to separate fact from fiction, soap opera theatrics from factual evidence based news to arrive at reasonable conclusions about what is real and what is not. e.g., I think it safe to say, there is no DJT collusion with the Russians to influence the outcome of the 2016 election based on the factual evidence and the law as we understand both to date.

Empirically, it's pretty clear to my senses that Trump attempts to create perceptions and/or understanding of him and his polices that are not rational. But this view is both entirely assailable and nothing new for political figures including the President. Therefore, I'm not shocked or dismayed at all.

We can form true beliefs just by making lucky guesses. How to gain warranted beliefs is less clear. Moreover, to know the truth, we must think about it, and it is unclear how we gain the concepts we use in thought or what assurance, if any, we have that the ways in which we see the truth using our concepts correspond to the truth that actually exists.

Bottom line: Trump hasn't done anything (yet) that clears the bar for criminal charges or by extension, impeachment - allowing that impeachment can be an entirely political undertaking, however, I'd prefer it be based on the law.
    They spent all of last year on "Trump is literally Hitler". Yeah, I would fucking say the left's behavior since Nov 2016 qualifies as a mass hysteria.

Comment

• There have certainly been some overreactions to stock market fluctuations on this thread. Heh. I'm not sure if those qualify as hysterical, though.

Buchanan:

hello
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• release the hounds!!
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• As a child once, spending the summer in Scotland with family, I was going to Mither Kirk (a large church in Aberdeen) for a vacation bible school of sorts. Myself and myriad cousins attended. I was the only American - and as such, I was a bit of a celebrity. The youth pastor took me aside as we were leaving and wanted to make sure that I planned to attend the next day as they had a surprise for me. I assured him that I would be there.

The surprise was square school-cafeteria-style pizza. But wait! It was "American Style" and had kernels of yellow corn on it as a topping. I laughed. Made an ass of myself, really. "No one eats pizza this way in America!"

Flash foward nearly 50 years and I am dining at an upscale hipster pizzeria and am served pizza with - wait for it - roasted corn as a topping.

I told the waitress that this was Scottish-style pizza and she of course didn't get the reference...so I recounted the boring story above and she listened patiently and said, "that's neat" and walked away with an uncomfortable 'how-do-I-pretend-that-is-interesting-so-I-can-still-get-a-tip' look to her.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Anyway, can't ever go back.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Pulse shooter's wife acquitted on all charges.

Was this a bandwagon indictment? Overzealous prosecution?

At least a waste of taxpayer $
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Millen said:
                Why, you ask? Because Dershowitz analogizes the current investigation to the Clinton investigation. This is a problem, because:

* The Clinton investigation was authorized by congressional statute, which means...
                a. A crime must be found
                b. Investigator is subject to political and/or congressional oversight
                Could you please give me a link that shows which congressional statute, and how that statute requires that a crime be found?

Thank you.

Comment

• sorry Millen, I was reading from several days back when I posted the above. I had not yet seen Talent's post # 34322.

I'm not sure it is a legal opinion, but your positions are rather consistently full of shit. Where do you get such tripe? You are a classic example of the prog mindset in which you think you can make up "facts" to support your debate points. Where does this kind of arrogance come from?
                  Last edited by Da Geezer; March 30, 2018, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Trump continues to go after Amazon, calling it a scam

Comment

• Yep. Amazon and the "Failing Washington Post"

Jesus. He is a transparent, vindictive dumbass.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• There are in so many cases an intelligible version of what he says. Scott Galloway speaks brilliantly of the Amazon breakup to come in the future. There's a seriously legit reason to build protectionist walls against China. It's a shame we can't have these debates on even a semi-intelligent level.

Comment

• ....... You can ..... with me and several others here but it starts with offering your opinion re the Amazon break-up (which I can see certain value and have not read the Galloway piece) and trade with China (I'm in favor of pushing back on them with the kinds of steps the Trump administration has taken but those kinds of steps need to be multi-lateral with America's allies; they are not, yet, but should be and to not take that approach might be dangerous for US trade interests.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• With the purported success of the reboot of Roseanne, I'd suggest that you younger guys try to watch a few episodes of "All in the Family" if you can. That is how political discourse was in the early 70's, and it was a lot healthier than it is today. Archie Bunker is the typical conservative template, but his daughter and son-in-law are liberals. This is the show that made Carrol O'Connor and Rob Reiner famous.

Comment

• Archie was the man. Carroll O'Connor was actually a lib though.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                                With the purported success of the reboot of Roseanne, I'd suggest that you younger guys try to watch a few episodes of "All in the Family" if you can. That is how political discourse was in the early 70's, and it was a lot healthier than it is today. Archie Bunker is the typical conservative template, but his daughter and son-in-law are liberals. This is the show that made Carrol O'Connor and Rob Reiner famous.
                                I have a couple older relatives who watch that show and thinks it paints Archie as a hero and is 'always right'. There are a few episodes where Mike or Gloria is forced to eat crow, but Archie is regularly painted as a racist buffoon, albeit a sympathetic one with a good heart if you dig down far enough. But it's funny that we can both watch that show and come away with totally different impressions on who's 'in the right'.

Comment

Working...
                                X