Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
    Tired of winning yet? The worst negotiator in the world just got rolled by China. Trump says trade wars are easy to win. China says "they are---against DJT".

Yes, it's early and there is no "done deal", but the way Trump's team is characterizing the results so far it looks like they will declare the status quo (along with vague promises by China) as victory and move on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news....=.c7767269306e
    China Slashes Auto Import Tariffs as Trump's Trade Push Gets Big Early Win

Yet another gift on the trade front this week.

China's Finance Ministry said Tuesday that it will slash import tariffs on automobiles into the world's biggest car market in what could be the most significant step by officials in Beijing to placate demands of President Donald Trump to trim the country's multi-billion trade surplus with the United States.

China will cut the tariff to around 13.8%, the Ministry said, from the current level of 25%, while reducing the levy on imported car parts to 6% from 10%, in an effort to open the market further to foreign competition. The reductions will take effect on July 1, the Ministry said in a statement.

Volkswagen AG (VLKAY) , the world's second largest carmarker, rose 0.7% in Frankfurt trading following the statement as rivals BMW AG (BMWYY) (+1.6%) and Daimler AG (DMLRY) (+1.18%) outpaced the DAX performance index, which was marked 0.12% lower by mid-morning. The Stoxx 600 Automobiles and Parts Index, the sector benchmark, gained 0.53% in the opening 90 minutes of European trading.

Volkswagen sold more than 40% of the 2.511 million vehicles it delivered globally in the three months ending in March in the Chinese market, company reports indicate, compared to around 18% for BMW.

U.S. auto stocks were also on the rise, with Ford Motor Co. (F - Get Report) shares marked 1.4% higher in pre-market trading in New York, while rival General Motors Co. (GM - Get Report) gained 0.7%. The U.S.-listed share of Fiat Chrysler jumped 2.4%.

The moves come just days after officials in both Beijing and Washington said they would work to "significantly" reduce China's trade surplus, which hit a record $375 billion last year, following a weekend summit between the world's two biggest economies.

However, the reduction in auto tariffs -- which Trump famously described as "stupid" -- had been raised by China's President, Xi Jinping, earlier this year after a series of meetings with President Trump at his Mar-a-lago estate in Florida.

China said earlier this month that it would open it s market to foreign carmakers, saying it would lift caps on non-China ownership of joint ventures over the next five years.

The United States sold around $10.5 billion worth of cars to the Chinese market last year, according to Census Bureau data, but only took in $1.5 billion in reciprocal goods despite having only a 2.5% tariff on imported cars and parts. China's car market is also starting to slow, with first quarter growth coming in a 2.8%, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, which predicts only a 3% advance this year, notably slower than the 13.7% pace recorded in 2017.

Comment

• Don't shoot early a.m. intruders! It could be a mistaken identity no-knock raid, and YOU will go to prison for defending yourself...

Tyler Harrell was found guilty of a charge of aggravated assault today in a case that should concern anyone who cares about the right to self-defense.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Lil Marco not impressed by the Trump team's negotiating skillz

[ame]https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/998869936599650304[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
          Yet another gift on the trade front this week.
          Yeah right. Yet another violation of the Emoluments Clause. The last paragraph fully explains Chump's foreign policy aims.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            Lil Marco not impressed by the Trump team's negotiating skillz

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/statu...69936599650304
            a double digit reduction of auto tariffs and a 200,000,000,000 reduction of our trade deficit. correct, no meaningful results whatsoever.

this is why lil Marco lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
              Yeah right. Yet another violation of the Emoluments Clause. The last paragraph fully explains Chump's foreign policy aims.

http://theweek.com/print/406665/6280...f-chinese-firm
              i think you took the word 'gift' literally lol

Comment

• Comment

• Halper meet with Page prior to the FBI opening their counterintelligence investigation, prior to the release of the DNC emails by wikileaks, prior to Downer meeting with the FBI over GP conversation that supposedly launched the investigation.

and remember, 0bama's FBI spied on Trump for Trump's own good.

kinda like an insurance policy in the unlikely event you die before your 40

Comment

• Donald Trump and the disturbing power of dehumanizing language
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• of course VOX comes to the defense of MS-13, and of course you agree.

Comment

• If that is what you took from that, you are even dumber than the character you play on the internet
                        Last edited by CGVT; May 22, 2018, 04:39 PM.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Jesus, Vox is fucking awful.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Did you read the fucking article?

Jesus.

Comment

• And Snopes is two old women at home with their cats

Comment

• Yes, I read it. It’s awful.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X