Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate reaction to Mattis' resignation:

I admire Secretary Mattis. His service has been one of honor & respect. His resignation is an act of patriotism, standing for our American principles above all else.

Just read Gen. Mattis resignation letter. It makes it abundantly clear that we are headed towards a series of grave policy errors which will endanger our nation, damage our alliances & empower our adversaries.

The kind of leadership that causes a dedicated patriot like Jim Mattis to leave should give pause to every American.

A sad day for America because Secretary Mattis was giving advice the president needs to hear.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by millenwasmyfavorite View Post
      ...... Any way, this probably seems like I am trying to sway you on Mattis -- and I am really not. I just think the concern on his departure has less to do with possible criticisms on his potential hawkishness and more about the realization that Trump is now surrounded by the vulturish 2nd and 3rd stringers.
      This entire post is good stuff.

We can talk all we want about DJT's questionable character and lack of integrity. But the Mattis resignation and it's implications render any talk that Trump has a fucking clue on important policy issues - this one in particular, defense and strategic planning - as utterly foolish.

Not a lot of voters are going to understand what millen.... just put down in a post. That's too bad, But, I'm now in the boat that I hope the Mueller probe, is the freight train coming down the track that will prompt a Nixonian resignation from Trump. While some of Trump's policy initiatives make sense, any good he's done as President are vastly overwhelmed by the increasing risks he presents to national security and global stability, especially as that stability relates to US relationships with China, global trade and the economy.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Yes.

Agreed on all counts w/ Fruit & JB.

Of course, viewing this phase of admin as political carrion could just be a severe blind spot.

People forget that the NK deal was a great example of the stark contrast between Trump's military understanding/application of rich-kid business acumen: He used OP Foal Eagle as a throwaway bargain chip for minimal returns. NK has hated the exercise since its inception in the nineties -- as it involved numerous allies and one of the largest scale training events there is.

Comment

• During my time in the Marine Corps RIMPAC was and still is a huge joint military training exercise. Our squadron flew a ton of missions in support of it out Iwakuni Japan. If I'm not mistaken, Foal Eagle - a joint Army OP - is still on going just on a much smaller scale. So, yes, a bargaining chip but a cheap one ...... that does not diminish your points however.

Your point about the "rich-kid business acumen" statesmanship Trump employed with NK's Kim is spot on. It should be used as on example of and as a spotlight on the shit show that is DJT's international diplomacy. NK got upon the international stage appearing as an equal to the US and didn't give up and won't give up anything having to do with it's nuclear arsenal.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Trump no longer wants Mattis sticking around till February. Basically just fired him. Mattis' last day is Jan. 1

EDIT: Mattis leaving in February was intended to give Trump time to find a good replacement and get them confirmed.

But nah. His letter dared to challenge Trump's views therefore MUST GO NOW!
            Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; December 23, 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• So as of Jan 1st we'll have an Acting Sec of Defense, Acting Attorney General, Acting Sec.of the Interior, and Acting Chief of Staff.

Comment

• DvHcbq-WoAAmiMa.jpg

Comment

• And acting President
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Bad actors, all.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The House is expecting the WH to block release of the Mueller Report.

California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff said if President Donald Trump’s attorneys try to assert executive privilege to stop the public release of special counsel Robert Mueller’s eventual report, he would likely compel publication in some form.

Comment

• Turkey deploys troops poised to slaughter Kurds when the US leaves AS PROMISED BY TURKEY.

Turkey deployed hundreds of troops near a Kurdish stronghold in Syria Sunday, in the wake of the United States announcing plans to withdraw from the country.

Comment

• Trump had Pompeo deliver the news to Mattis that he had to leave by Jan 1.

LOL...our heroic and oh-so-brave CIC

Comment

• I'm guessing his bone spurs prevented him from delivering the message in person. Or perhaps Vlad told him to do it that way.

Comment

• Comment

• Gates, Panetta, and Hagel were the first three of Obama's Secretaries, not the last three, and at least two of them had tenures longer than what Mattis will end up having (because Trump wants him fired right away and doesn't care about an orderly transition). Gates in particular (holdover from Bush) lasted until the summer of Obama's third year. So he at least was considerably longer than Mattis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ary_of_Defense

Comment

Working...
                                X