Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    Love that area, Jeff. And I love foie gras. Heading to France soon. When so you come back stateside?
    Got back yesterday, AA ....... am actually enjoying coffee as it is served in America and not the shit they call Expresso Longo or Cafe Americana which is watered down Double Expresso - awful. I do like Expresso though but as an offering to sober me up or extend an afternoon of wakefulness after wine for lunch.

So, the Charlie Chapman Museum in Vevey Switzerland: I know Wizard is anxiously awaiting this particular tome and will tell me to STFU after reading and enjoying it's worldly thoughtfulness that will clearly expand the mind of this limited Nebraskan........ I visited in the month of Chaplin's birthday. He was born April 16th, 1889 so the Museum and the city of Vevey had a special month long celebration. Very cool.

Chaplin was immensely popular and very successful in the film industry of the early 20th century. He became rich and famous and continued writing, acting in and directing films in the US well after that. In 1952, he was traveling to London from NYC for the opening of one of his films. Enroute, he received notice that his American visa (he was English by birth) had been cancelled - don't come back you Commie was the implication. McCarthyism was to Hollywood what Hitler was to the Jews. A real stain on American history. He was invited back to the US in 1972 where he received two Oscars and a long, unstoppable standing ovation during which he wept openly.

After he was shut out of the US in '52, Chaplin took up residence in Vevey Switzerland on the edge of Lake Geneva. He acquired a beautiful home that in 2016 became the Charlie Chaplin museum. Chaplin died in his sleep in the early hours of Christmas day in 1977 at this residence. He was 88 when he passed. He is loved to this day by the Swiss.

The museum is a loving omage to Chaplin created by the local Swiss government. It depicts in picture and artifacts of Chaplin's life an amazingly detailed and complete history of the actor, philanthropist and family man - there is a family tree in the house. There are nineteen living, directly descended from his three marriages, Chaplin relatives. I knew of him but not of his amazing impact on the motion picture industry that spanned 70+ years. He was funny, intelligent and in his public persona, humble. Privately, he thought he was pretty damn good and, after seeing the Museum first hand, he was exactly that in so many ways I had no clue about. One part of the museum which is on the grounds he and his family owned is what is called the Studio. You enter and watch a short film about his movies. After that is over you move into an area divided into spaces honoring several of his most famous films.

Wax figures and artifacts from his film making days adorn each display which are recreations of the sets the films were made on in Chaplin's Hollywood studio he owned, managed and shot as well as directed most of his later films. Chaplin was the original anti-Hollywood big studio guy who got tired of Warner brothers and their ilk taking advantage of performers, writers, directors and musicians. I particularly liked the space honoring his film, The Great Dictator, released in 1940. Subsequently nominated for five academy awards it was Chaplin's most commercially successful film and also his first talkie.

It is classic political satire done in a way that puts current political satire to shame. Chaplin later said in his autobiography that if he had known of the horrors European Jews suffered under Hitler, he never would have done it. You can watch it for $3.99 on Amazon Prime.

This is a pretty good recap of his life for those interested, like the Wiz will certainly be:

Charlie Chaplin was a comedic British actor who became one of the biggest stars of the 20th century's silent-film era.

Next feature I'll write and I know you will all be waiting breathlessly for it will be about the Musee Olimpique in Lausanne. It celebrates the Olympic movement, which I did not know took shape in Lausanne, and it's history.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 26, 2019, 05:35 PM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Another quarter of big growth. DSL despondent.
      the left is doing everything they can to ignore this. and a good chunk of this qtr was during government shutdown. I guess those so called crumbs go a long way for the average consumer.
      Last edited by Kapture1; April 26, 2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• T.J. Hockenson says he's "heard nothing but good things" about the Lions organization.

charlton heston laughing GIF

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
          T.J. Hockenson says he's "heard nothing but good things" about the Lions organization.

charlton heston laughing GIF
          Well, if he is watching the draft tonight, he is getting a primer on what the Lions are all about. They took a projected 5th round inside linebacker with their 2nd round pick, 43rd overall. Some guy from Hawaii who did make the Mountain West second team all-conference team this year. The Lions never fail to disappoint.

Comment

• Endgame was fucking incredible
            Last edited by Kapture1; April 28, 2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Another quarter of big growth. DSL despondent.
              Voodoo economics
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Prepare for another "Fake news" tweet storm from Very Stable Genius.

FBI Director Christopher Wray called the 2018 midterm elections a "dress rehearsal" for the Russians to commit even more election interference in the 2020 presidential election.

"My snoogums Vladie told me Russia wasn't involved...and I bee-weeve him!!"
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Today's synagogue shooter is a piece of shit 19-year-old named John Earnest. I'd suggest some caution in taking literally everything he wrote in his online 'manifesto', because he's an Alt Righter who indulged in 'shitposting' (basically he lies for the sole purpose of triggering libs for sport). However, he did claim credit for setting a mosque on fire in nearby Escondido, a crime which has thus far been unsolved. He also claims to have been 'inspired' by the Synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh and mosque shooting in Christchurch.

Who is John T. Earnest, the suspect identified as being responsible for the deadly shooting at a synagogue in Poway, California.

Comment

• Last edited by Kapture1; April 27, 2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• I don't blame Trump. I blame the trash Alt Right and white nationalist communities which nurture this scum. He posted his 'manifesto' and intentions on 8chan shortly before heading off to kill. Before his thread got taken down he received a bunch of encouragement and at least one person told him to "get a high score".

A user identifying himself as John Earnest posted an open letter to the far-right message board 8chan hours before a shooting near San Diego.

Comment

• 2 days ago in the paper of record IMG_20190427_220514.jpg

Comment

• Yeah, and their "apology" was pitiful.

Comment

• How do you separate the people who shitpost Nazi stuff to be 'funny' and 'ironic' from those that take it seriously?

Translations:English (UK)Русский (Россия)On April 27, 2019, at around 11:30 a.m. local time, a young man with a semi-automatic rifle walked into the Chabad of Poway Synagogue in Poway, California. He opened fire, killing one worshipper and wounding three others. In the hours since the shooting, a manifesto, believed to be written by the shooter, began […]

Comment

• I hate when their names are published and their words and rantings are given publicity.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Trump finally got around to going after "Judge" Napolitano. Says he turned agaisnt him after he begged for a Supreme Court seat and Trump turned him down.

People begging Trump for something, often while crying, and Trump saying NO is a very, very common occurrence in Trump's story-telling. Examples below

Kirsten GIllenbrand begged Trump for money (would do anyting for it)

Rick Perry begged Trump for money and support

Bad Lawyer Michael Cohen asked for a pardon. Trump said NO!

"Foul-mouthed John McCain" begged Trump for his support in his 2016 primary

Bob Corker begged Trump for his support then quit politics when Trump said NO

Vicious, not-smart Omarosa begged Trump for a job with tears in her eyes (Aside: So Trump knew she was dumb and vicious but hired her for a WH job anyways?)

Sloppy Steve Bannon cried like a baby when he was fired and begged Trump to reconsider but Trump said NO!

Cheri Jacobus begged Trump for a job, then turned hostile after he said NO

New Hampshire newspaper gave Trump bad press then begged him for ads. His response? NO!

3rd-rate writer Vicky Ward begged Trump too!

Comment

Working...
                                X