X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jobs jobs jobs

Comment

• Talent-

It's happened. US Circuit Court says Ohio's congressional maps are so excessively gerrymandered that they violate the US Constitution. Blocks the state from using the current map in any future elections. Lawmakers have until June 14 to draw new ones. The decision is 300+ pages so I can't really give any more details than that at the moment.

https://big.assets.huffingtonpost.co...d757321d8a.pdf

Comment

• so, CA is going to pass a law that a presidential candidate will be excluded from their general election ballot for President unless they release their tax returns. Also, write-ins don't count in CA for a general election

Also worth note, a few states, including Colorado, have passed laws that they will assign the winner of the national popular vote their electoral votes rather than the winner of that state.

Keeping Trump off of the ballot in CA will guarantee he can not win the national popular vote.

Seems like one of these laws is unconstitutional, especially since release of tax returns is not a requirement for the office of presidency, like age and citizenship is
        Last edited by Kapture1; May 3, 2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Citgo, headquartered in Houston, is majority-owned by PDVSA, a state-owned company of the Venezuelan government. How are they dodging the Trump sanctions?
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
            so, CA is going to pass a law that a presidential candidate will be excluded from their general election ballot for President unless they release their tax returns. Also, write-ins don't count in CA for a general election

Also worth note, a few states, including Colorado, have passed laws that they will assign the winner of the national popular vote their electoral votes rather than the winner of that state.

Keeping Trump off of the ballot in CA will guarantee he can not win the national popular vote.

Seems like one of theses laws is unconstitutional, especially since release of tax returns is not a requirement for the office of presidency, like age and citizenship is
            The California law is a lot sketchier. States can assign the electoral votes any way they wish. Like how Nebraska and Maine divvy them up by congressional district and give the statewide winner the remaining 2 'Senate votes'.

The California law is itching for a lawsuit of some kind. But in general states have a lot of room to impose their own ballot requirements as well. There's no uniform set of rules, obviously. The Libertarian candidate might appear on the Ohio ballot but not the New York one, for example. So it's sort of dicey. One note, if I read correctly: the CA law only applies to the primary. So Trump could, in theory, no appear on the primary ballot but still appear on the general election ballot as the Republican candidate.

Comment

• 31C22F87-31A2-49D4-AB3F-CCBA966E463C.jpeg
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• On the left is the current Ohio district map. On the right is a theoretical one if a non-partisan actor gets their hands on drawing the new ones. It's not super obvious but the map on the right divides far few counties or cities into different districts. Using the map on the right I'm told the Democrats would've won 8 seats to the Republicans 8 in 2012. In 2016 the Republicans would have won 10 to the Dems 6 (Instead of 12 to 4).

A lot of the current districts up around Cleveland are a mess. But it wouldn't surprise me if the judges had a big problem with the way the 1st and 2nd districts split the city of Cincinnati/Hamilton County. Districts are required to be contiguous (I believe) and the OH-1 just barely makes it by having the thinnest connective tissue between two blocks.

D5qQA_VUIAATFuB.jpg:small.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

The California law is a lot sketchier. States can assign the electoral votes any way they wish. Like how Nebraska and Maine divvy them up by congressional district and give the statewide winner the remaining 2 'Senate votes'.

The California law is itching for a lawsuit of some kind. But in general states have a lot of room to impose their own ballot requirements as well. There's no uniform set of rules, obviously. The Libertarian candidate might appear on the Ohio ballot but not the New York one, for example. So it's sort of dicey. One note, if I read correctly: the CA law only applies to the primary. So Trump could, in theory, no appear on the primary ballot but still appear on the general election ballot as the Republican candidate.
                  Yep, I am fine with those blue states awarding their votes to the winner of the popular vote. It's almost as if they think the earth began spinning in Nov 2016, because Republicans have won plenty of national popular votes. There will be a situation where a Dem will win the electoral college vote and those blue EC votes they should have received will go to the Republican and that will cost a Democrat an election, not a Republican. I guess they think a Republican will never again win the popular vote

obviously the law I have an issue with is the CA one, I think it would get struck down in a hot second once challenged.

Comment

• Last edited by iam416; May 3, 2019, 08:55 PM.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      It was a unanimous decision by three judge panel but point conceded, it was at the District level. Didn't notice that first go-around.

Judge Karen Nelson Moore- Appointed by Clinton. Sits on the 6th Circuit.

Judge Timothy Black- Appointed by Obama.

Judge Michael H. Watson - Appointed by George W Bush. He also served as Voinovich's chief legal counsel.

In the Michigan case, the three judges were also unanimous. They were:6th Circuit Judge Eric Clay (Clinton), District Judge Denise Hood (Clinton), and District Judge Gordon Quist (Bush).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                        So, why exactly was Paul Joseph Watson banned from Facebook?
                        Well for starters, Paul Joseph Watson and InfoWars are pretty much inseparable at this point. SO if Alex Jones and InfoWars are getting permanently banned, not surprising he is too.

I don't want him banned. I think he's a terrific example of what passes for an intellectual in the Alt Right and Trump movements.

He's a Seth Rich truther

He fingered the wrong Esteban Santiago for an airport shooting, then made up a story about CNN lightening his skin tone

He's pretty much the origin of "Hillary Clinton is dying of (fill in the blank disease) conspiracy theories. Depending on the time of day you ask him, Clinton has Parkinson's, autism, a blood clot, a drug problem, a tumor, or syphilis.

No, Hillary does not have Parkinson’s…or syphilis…or autism. Not unless you believe this wingnut who cites Martin Shkreli as his only medical source.

He's promoted videos that spread rumors that Hillary participates in blood rituals, child scarfifice, and other other occasional dabbles with satanism.

The top trend on Twitter, fueled by Trump campaign darling InfoWars, claims the Clinton campaign performed a satanic ritual. The Satanic Temple, however, calls the claim absurd.

Back in 2007 he wrote an article claiming the Virginia Tech shooting was a government "black-op". He's said Timothy McVeigh was working for and at the direction of the FBI when he committed the OKC bombing. Needless to say, he's claimed 9/11 was an inside job.

Basically every government conspiracy theory you can think of, Paul has endorsed it at some point. The bus bombings in London? British govt did it. The neo-Nazi who murdered 75+ teenagers in Sweden? Oh he was just a dupe sent to kill by the neoliberal globalist elite. The Fort Hood massacre was faked. Sandy Hook was faked. Orlando was faked. And on and on.

Comment

• Oh and more importantly North Korea's firing off missiles again. Just short range ones this time, but that's another escalating step from the last weapon test they did. If confimred to be "missiles" I suppose that's the first since 2017.

Comment

• Trump this morning is sharing shit from Qanon accounts and Lauren Southern, an avowed white nationalist who promotes the White Genocide Theory (Both the Pittsburgh and Poway Synagogue shooters were adherents of this theory as well).

Eventually it's pretty pointless to debate whether Trump really believes in the same things as Lauren Southern or Paul Joseph Watson. He's handing them a megaphone and spreading their beliefs to a much wider audience, whether he shares all their views or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Well for starters, Paul Joseph Watson and InfoWars are pretty much inseparable at this point. SO if Alex Jones and InfoWars are getting permanently banned, not surprising he is too.

I don't want him banned. I think he's a terrific example of what passes for an intellectual in the Alt Right and Trump movements.

He's a Seth Rich truther

He fingered the wrong Esteban Santiago for an airport shooting, then made up a story about CNN lightening his skin tone

He's pretty much the origin of "Hillary Clinton is dying of (fill in the blank disease) conspiracy theories. Depending on the time of day you ask him, Clinton has Parkinson's, autism, a blood clot, a drug problem, a tumor, or syphilis.

No, Hillary does not have Parkinson’s…or syphilis…or autism. Not unless you believe this wingnut who cites Martin Shkreli as his only medical source.

He's promoted videos that spread rumors that Hillary participates in blood rituals, child scarfifice, and other other occasional dabbles with satanism.

The top trend on Twitter, fueled by Trump campaign darling InfoWars, claims the Clinton campaign performed a satanic ritual. The Satanic Temple, however, calls the claim absurd.

Back in 2007 he wrote an article claiming the Virginia Tech shooting was a government "black-op". He's said Timothy McVeigh was working for and at the direction of the FBI when he committed the OKC bombing. Needless to say, he's claimed 9/11 was an inside job.

Basically every government conspiracy theory you can think of, Paul has endorsed it at some point. The bus bombings in London? British govt did it. The neo-Nazi who murdered 75+ teenagers in Sweden? Oh he was just a dupe sent to kill by the neoliberal globalist elite. The Fort Hood massacre was faked. Sandy Hook was faked. Orlando was faked. And on and on.
                              For starters, he is separated from InfoWars. Did you happen to watch the Alex Jones Sandy Hook deposition? I did, any mention of Paul was him trying to talk Jones out of his dumb ass ideas. I get you want to label him inseparable from Jones, but they are not the same person.

He makes a video what? once? twice a week? and you cane up with 5 examples dating back to 2007 from leftist sources that love to cut out context? pretty weak.

So I will ask again, why was he banned? what rules of Facebook did he violate? In what way was he "dangerous" as Facebook claims?

If you can't see the real danger is what Facebook has done to him, what a sad day it is for the once liberal liberals

Comment

• I am with Kapture on this one. PJW broke none of the current rules of those platforms that I can see. While I don't agree with him on most things, I support his right to say them. Yes, I know that FB/IG and Twitter are not government entities, but they are evolving into an almost utility company importance in modern society because so much public discourse and business is conducted there. Further I hate the trend toward nanny statism - be it from the government or powerful corporations like FB.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X