No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no! Progs have infiltrated Fox News and are leaking internal email chains!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ne...oom?ref=scroll

Comment

• In the I don't give a fuck about Trump's tweets and McGahan news ....... The Sri Lankan government (both sides of it, I guess - if you can figure out the politics there) has done a pretty good job of handling the PR associated with the terror attacks in their country on Easter day. They admitted they had intel and people didn't act on it. Fine, fire the head Intel guy who should have acted on the copious intell that was given to them (he actually resigned, OK) ..... and also fire a couple of folks under him or equal to him, e'g', some local police chiefs. Check. Round up anyone and every one who might have a link to the bastards that carried out the bombings and publicly announce who they are. Check. Out the people and their relatives (who might have known about these fucks) and let the mobs take care of them ...... e.g., the rich Sri Lankin dude whose two sons and one of their wives was implicated. Check. I'd guess that the Sir Lankan authorities will get to the bottom of this and prevent it from having the long term impact on the economy and stability of the government the terrorist hoped it would. This will be done without regard for the rights of the people they govern because keeping them safe from shit like this takes precedence.

Aside from a culture that sort-of cultivates limiting the freedoms we take for granted in this country in Asian "democracies" (and using that word is a stretch) I rather like how they do business regarding crimes like this. As well, you won't here liberals in those countries whining about unwarranted searches, seizures and incarceration without due process...... and for God's sake don't come at me with but, buts. Security, in certain situations, >> making sure warrants were properly issued, bad guys read their rights before getting tossed in jail and, OMG, don't do anything I wouldn't do interrogating them. There is a reason it took the US a decade after 911 to find and kill OSBL. We are way too nice about policing and protecting individual rights - when the liberal US press whines about it - when confronting the reality of modern warfare by non-state actors who are probably acting on behalf of or with the support of our enemies .... yes, Vladimir, yes, Iranian Mullahs and probably yes to the Chinese, I'm talking about you.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 26, 2019, 10:36 AM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• ......... speaking of shitty things the US government does, I flew back from Lisbon yesterday - 8h: 50m of opportunity to watch movies!

I watched Vice. First off, great performances and directing all around.

Second, the depiction of Dick Cheney and the US government while he was acting in various positions within it, while a bit over the top, revealed a, well, no shit, sort of picture of the power of the presidency wielded without a whole lot of oversight. The legal theory of The Unitary Executive was one in which, according to the film, Cheney was very interested in and John Yoo is the one depicted who explained it to him. Good stuff, esp. as it relates to some of the shit Trump has already pulled off and is working to pull off. The fucker has a point.

I had to do some Googling of this Unitary Executive theory to fully understand it. It's interesting. Wiki is a fine general overview. But Trump is on to this and he would be considered a "strong unitary executive" proponent, i.e., I'm the president and I can whatever the fuck I want (I think talent talked about this at some point briefly already knowing what I'm just learning).

Anyway, back to the film. There was a lot of focus on shit Cheney did in a number of positions and involving a number of now historically significant US government undertakings. GW Bush's Iraq War II was a holly shit did that actually happen sort of revelation for me ..... not for Hack, I'm sure. Yeah, I knew about the facts that were pretty strong, even before the war started, that there weren't any WMD's in Saddam's arsenal of weapons. Chemical weapons? Not as clear. Besides everybody in the ME has them. But in the movie allegedly stuff wen't down within the administrations that was eye opening.

Cheney acted a lot like Trump though much more thoughtful and purposeful clearly, IMO, having a crystal clear understanding of why he was undertaking a particular course of action - the guy was smart and depicted in the film as brutally effective as an American government office holder, even if you don't like him or how he carried out his responsibilities all that much. My recollection of what I thought about him prettuy much matched the facts portrayed in the movie .... maybe not the out-takes that were sometimes very humorous and well done. The movie depicted most of Cheney's activities acting as said government official as illegal, underhanded and morally corrupt. Of course there was a Condi and Colin acting the part of skeptics in the GW II segments, eye rolling with furrowed brow and such. OK, depends on your perspective, I guess.... and I'm not endorsing Cheney so, GTFO.

AA, I also watched Mary Queen of Scotts. One tough bitch who got absolutely screwed....... at least as far as this movie's version of history was concerned. And you claim allegiance to Scotland and the likes of The Earl of Bothwell - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...rl_of_Bothwell. Link provided just in case. No surprise there if true! A douche if there ever was one, and I'm a Buchanan boasting a nice coat of arms but a shitty tartan. Bothwell was a turd.

I also watched Bohemian Rhapsody for the, well, third time. Queen rocks and Malik deserved the Oscar for his depiction of Fredie Mercury.
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 26, 2019, 10:44 AM.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I watched endgame last night

meh

Comment

• Lord Bothwell was a turd. No area is safe from such people. Edinburgh had Bothwell, Austria had Hitler, and Atlanta has you.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Oh no! Progs have infiltrated Fox News and are leaking internal email chains!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ne...oom?ref=scroll
              this should help

and this

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                Lord Bothwell was a turd. No area is safe from such people. Edinburgh had Bothwell, Austria had Hitler, and Atlanta has you.
                I am a citizen of the world ...... I'm sad that my otherwise extraordinary influence on it is recognized by you as only pertaining to Atlanta.

BTW, I stayed and dined at a country inn in the Alps just on the Italian side (because excellent food and service is ridiculously expensive in Switzerland). I was told the Foie gras was the best anywhere in Italy or Switzerland - it was.This was a five course, 3 hour dinner experience with my daughter and her Italian husband who is quite the gourmand and not at all in an effete way. This is a favorite stop of his when he travels back and forth by road between Milan and Lausanne. Fine dining in Europe is an extraordinary experience. Italy is the place to do it and the Alps one of the most scenic places in the world. Over the 4h period that included a 1h pre-meal course of antipasti we consumed two very nice bottles of local Italian wine. No bottle was over $17 and it was damn good at that price point. Italy, yes!

I'll tell you about the Charley Chaplin Museum in Vevey Switzerland in a bit. What an amazing man and human being wrongfully demonized in America during the anticommunist McCarthy era.

Comment

• Love that area, Jeff. And I love foie gras. Heading to France soon. When so you come back stateside?
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You think the Detroit Lions fans are mad for picking another TE? I just seen the 49s picked Nick Bosa - the racist what Libs like to call a 'Trumpster' and said he "Loves this Man" (Trump)

He did call kaepernick a "Clown" on twitter - lmfao

Comment

• I can laugh at that and still be mad about another 1st rnd TE

Comment

• Passed on Ed Oliver I think its funny, he didn't fit into Matty's scheme

Comment

• I had banjos for lunch--roast beef, turkey ham on bagel with thousand island on a hoagie with swiss and tomatoe--side of tater tots and washed down with sam adams 76

my view was a pasture with some texas longhorns and a 4 lane highway

my company was 2 doctors and 1 other PA

our sublect was how much better infinity war is and how robotic surgery is the biggest ripoff that ever occurred and if tyreek hill's conversation on tape was heard by the DA before charges are dropped

glad we went to Europe last year thought--seems like its a world that is evolving in a negative way--although I hope to make it to Normandy and Germany before I croak

Comment

• STFU
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Another quarter of big growth. DSL despondent.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Grab your popcorn.

Wayne LaPierre, longtime NRA CEO is accusing NRA President Oliver North (Yep! Ollie North!) of extorting him and trying to force him out. Each side is apparently accusing the other of grift and embezzlement. The North faction accuses LaPierre of buying $200,000 worth of suits using organization money. The LaPierre faction accuses Ollie North of having ties to an advertising firm that's overcharged the NRA a ton.

There's a better article at the WSJ behind a paywall but here's the gist of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X