No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure Oakland is THAT conservative. But they do have a much better economy. I would tend to think that the better the economy is in a county the more tolerant they tend to be?
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Here's a high level review of the contents of the "Phase One" deal.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Trump apparently thinks Debbie Dingell ought to be more grateful and owes him political favors after he "allowed" Rep. John Dingell to have a full funeral service honors. Dingell was the longest-serving Congressman in history and the last WWII vet to serve in Congress.

Comment

• Newtown High School wins the state title on the 7th anniversary of the Sandy Hook shooting

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
            Here's a high level review of the contents of the "Phase One" deal.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1YH2IL
            I've read a couple of articles that describe what appears to be THE major obstacle between the US and China on resolution of trade issues: enforcement of any agreement. This highlights how very differently the two sides view outcomes. The Trump administration, and IMO, rightfully so, wants clear language on how something like "reduce barriers to ..... or eliminate technology transfer as a requirement for access ...." actually means. Moreover, once it is clear what that means and one side is not in compliance with the language, a claim of non-compliance can be raised.

It's about how the west views contracts and that they should be legally binding by international laws that pertain and completely enforceable under those laws.

The Chinese, OTH, don't operate in that manner by cultural norms. My take is that they are not sleazy tricksters. Asians in general tend to be modest and deferential preferring good faith as underpinnings to all agreements. Language in agreements they make can be hazy. That's why you get the sort of statement from the Chicoms like we see ....... negotiations and agreements should be based on mutual respect and understanding. WTF does that mean? Frankly, I don't think that shit works but trying to get the Chinese to agree to see it that way is nearly impossible.

That considered, I'd have to say things on the trade front are moving along in about the way we should expect them to. I also think the Chinese have already built in to the way they are approaching this the Trump idiot factor .... and that's not to imply they wish to take advantage of that but rather they recognize the potential impact on negotiations that his narcissistic and explosive character can have.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 15, 2019, 09:31 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

I've read a couple of articles that describe what appears to be THE major obstacle between the US and China on resolution of trade issues: enforcement of any agreement. This highlights how very differently the two sides view outcomes. The Trump administration, and IMO, rightfully so, wants clear language on how something like "reduce barriers to ..... or eliminate technology transfer as a requirement for access ...." actually means. Moreover, once it is clear what that means and one side is not in compliance with the language, a claim of non-compliance can be raised.

It's about how the west views contracts and that they should be legally binding by international laws that pertain and completely enforceable under those laws.

The Chinese, OTH, don't operate in that manner by cultural norms. My take is that they are not sleazy tricksters. Asians in general tend to be modest and deferential preferring good faith as underpinnings to all agreements. Language in agreements they make can be hazy. That's why you get the sort of statement from the Chicoms like we see ....... negotiations and agreements should be based on mutual respect and understanding. WTF does that mean? Frankly, I don't think that shit works but trying to get the Chinese to agree to see it that way is nearly impossible.

That considered, I'd have to say things on the trade front are moving along in about the way we should expect them to. I also think the Chinese have already built in to the way they are approaching this the Trump idiot factor .... and that's not to imply they wish to take advantage of that but rather they recognize the potential impact on negotiations that his narcissistic and explosive character can have.
              A while back someone posted an article (it may have even been you or me) that suggested one of the things Trump screwed up on the China deal is that he waited too long to go after them. With us entering the election year he's got way more pressure to just sign something, anything, and the Chinese know that. Had he started the trade war in 2017 he might have had more time to squeeze them into delivering more on the serious issues, and not just buy more pork. Of course that's only part of the explanation as to why we're at where we're at.

Comment

• This is a couple days old but thought it was a good piece. Analysts are looking at three events in North Korea that will all occur in the next few week's. One is Kim's promised "Christmas present" which many seem to think will be N Korea attempting to launch a satellite. The other two being a rare gathering of the Worker's Party and Kim's annual New Year speech.

At the end of the year, a trio of events in the North are likely to threaten President Trump's hopes for progress in U.S.-North Korea relations

Comment

• Fox poll shows Trump approval up to 45% but support for impeachment is at 50%

Weeks of congressional hearings and debate have failed to move the electorate on impeachment, according to the latest Fox News Poll.  At the same time, approval of President Trump’s job performance has climbed three points.

Comment

• This is a good take, IMO and moves the discussion on the trade dispute between the US and China to a strategic level that involves challenges by China of US global supremacy in political, economic and military spheres. It forces a question for me: is Trump, or any of his potential D opponents in 2020, up to the task of challenging the Chinese ..... .or better put, managing the inexorable march toward conflict with them in any of these spheres?

President Trump boasted that this is a big deal that will lead to the “opening of China’s markets.” As positive as this partial trade deal is, it's not what Trump claims.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Rand Paul on the State of the Union

....Congress instructed the president to do what he did in Ukraine....

.....Impeachment will tear this country apart....

....President Trump is very concerned about corruption especially in Ukraine

....Giving other countries money weakens US National Security......

....Trump said not investigate a rival (Biden) but rather investigate a certain person....

....Biden used his office (as VP) to enrich his son.....

....indicates he does not have to be impartial in a Senate trial even if he has to an oath (as do all Senators) to be impartial.....
                      Last edited by Whitley; December 15, 2019, 12:12 PM.
                      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• ....indicates he does not have to be impartial in a Senate trial even if he has to an oath (as do all Senators) to be impartial.....
                        I wonder if House members (especially committee chairmen) are required to take the same oath.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

I wonder if House members (especially committee chairmen) are required to take the same oath.
                          Jr? Is that you?

download.jpeg

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• You caught me!!

rats...
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• From deeper inside that Fox poll

45% think the Democrats are handling Impeachment fairly. 42% think they are not

Only 36% believe Trump has cooperated as much as he should

Comment

• Idle thoughts.about NoKo.....will Dear Leader pull some stunt during fellow Dear Leader's impeachment trial? Satellite launch, missile test as our promised X-mas present, then maybe an underground nuke test during the Senate trial?

I suppose others could try to take advantage of a perceived opportunity with Very Stable Genius under pressure. Iran, Turkey, Afganistan.....who knows, maybe Russia would like another piece of Ukraine.

Then again, nothing really happened internationally when Clinton was impeached.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X