No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Navy is to name an aircraft carrier after an African American enlisted man.

Miller was a mess attendant on the West Virginia when he jumped in to man a machine gun during the Pearl Harbor attack. He is the first African American to have an aircraft carrier named after him.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• So with McConnell's marathon 12-hour day schedule, Wed & Thurs the House will present. White House will go Friday and Saturday. They may start the question round Saturday if the WH doesn't feel the need to use all its time. Monday more questions. Tuesday will be the big vote on witnesses. If there's none allowed, Trump could be acquitted Wednesday or Thursday. But based on the language in this resolution it seems like there are enough Republicans to support having at least a few witnesses...which means it might not wrap before SOTU like Trump wants.

But speaking of Bolton, Senate Republicans seem to think Bolton could have the votes to be called, because they are working behind the scenes on a way to have him testify entirely behind closed doors and away from tv cameras (which they are already restricting to the point where even CSPAN isn't being allowed in).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a4e_story.html
      Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; January 20, 2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• I like Lindsey Graham's statement. He said there is no way that the House managers are going to get to call their witness(es), and Trump not be allowed to call any at all. Its going to be all or nothing. There's really no suspense here.

If they want Bolton, Trump is going to get his shot at Hunter Biden, or maybe even the whistle blower. And so forth.

It really just depends on how far the Democrats want to take it.

I think it would make for great theatre for this to be dragged out into mid March, or maybe even longer. Have the four senators who want to be president stuck in Washington listening to endless claptrap about 'quid pro quos", while Iowa, New Hampshire and Super Tuesday go by the wayside.

Priceless.

Joe Biden would love it, .. even if it means Hunter has to testify
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Honestly? I don't know why they think having Hunter Biden testify is going to be some major coup. Bolton can do a lot more damage to Trump (if he chooses) than Hunter Biden can help get him reelected. Of course, they will want Hunter's testimony to last 10 straight hours all on primetime tv while fighting to make sure Bolton's testimony never reaches the public's eye. It'll be that kind of a "deal".

And Hunter has just the barest minimum of relevance here. Bolton, Mulvaney, Pompeo, the OMB people, are all far more directly tied to the actual terms of impeachment. And other than Bolton we'll probably never hear from any of them.

Comment

• President OJ is guilty, President OJ will walk free, and ex-President OJ will spend the rest of his life looking for the real hackers/extortionists from the comfort of his dacha.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Honestly? I don't know why they think having Hunter Biden testify is going to be some major coup. Bolton can do a lot more damage to Trump (if he chooses) than Hunter Biden can help get him reelected. Of course, they will want Hunter's testimony to last 10 straight hours all on primetime tv while fighting to make sure Bolton's testimony never reaches the public's eye. It'll be that kind of a "deal".

And Hunter has just the barest minimum of relevance here. Bolton, Mulvaney, Pompeo, the OMB people, are all far more directly tied to the actual terms of impeachment. And other than Bolton we'll probably never hear from any of them.
              They're not going to get Bolton as the one and only witness in the entire trial. Not happening. At the very minimum, Trump is going to get an equal number of witnesses that the House managers get. (if any at all) Even the Never-Trumpers in the senate that Democrats are pinning their hopes on won't go for anything other than an equal number of witnesses.

Forcing Hunter Biden to go under oath and talk about his business dealings in the Ukraine is at least as relevant to the case as anything Bolton has to say. In fact I think it takes priority over Bolton. That is what this whole thing is about. Trump wanted the Ukrainian government to look into H. Biden's business dealings, seeing that our country was about to give them billions in foreign aid. If it turns out that H. Biden had some dirty business dealings going on, then Trump will be completely justified in asking their government to look into it, and he will get the 'total exoneration" he's been looking for. I mean, looking for that outcome is just as realistic as John Bolton testifying, and giving the Democrats some sort of poison pill to save their case, and finally kick Trump out of office. We need to remember, John Bolton isn't some sort of "never trumper" Republican. He's a hard right winger, whom even Reagan Republicans distrusted. And Democrats think he's going to deliver Trump to them?

I guess we'll see. I still think its great theatre. And I really like that McConnell has set up 12 hour days for the hearings, making senators work until the wee hours in debate and arguments. Even Hollywood couldn't come up with a script like that. I'd love to have the "5 Hour Energy" concession in the Senate chambers.....
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Hunter Biden's "shady dealings" took place before Trump was even in office. Why was it only in year 3 that Trump suddenly became obsessed with them? Just by total coincidence after Biden announced he was running? It's not like this was the first aid package sent to Ukraine during his presidency either. It takes willful ignorance to believe Trump was interested in anything beyond hurting someone he felt is his biggest threat to getting reelected.

Point me to anything from Trump or the Republican party calling for an investigation into the Bidens in 2017-2018. Point me to something Lindsey Graham said where all aid should be cut off until they promise an in depth investigation of Hunter Biden. Point me to any Republican in those two years saying that investigating Hunter takes priority over assisting Ukraine against Russia.

BTW, Hunter Biden's business dealings haven't emerged only since mid-2019, you understand that, right? People were questioning them at the time under Obama. So Trump's DOJ has had plenty of time to go after him if they thought there was an actual crime committed there...they haven't. Instead, Trump's enlisted a bunch of shady foreigners and tried to coerce a foreign intelligence service into producing evidence for him (and I'd contend Trump doesn't care if they have to manufacture the evidence, just do it).

I'll happily offer up Hunter Biden as a witness if we could also get Bolton to testify, unhampered. But that's probably not going to happen. Like I said, the "fair deal" the Dems will be offered is 10 hours of Hunter testifying in public on live in exchange for Bolton answering questions behind locked doors, Trump can block anything he wants, and anyone who describes the testimony publicly is under threat of prosecution.

Comment

• Also, any time someone tries to claim that Trump has "legitimate" concerns about corruption, in ANY country, remind them that he has gone on the record over and over again that he thinks it should be LEGAL to bribe foreign government officials.

Comment

• Good piece that repeats what I've argued in the past. It's an irony that the regions of the country that most support Trump have benefitted the least from his economy. And vice versa. Like I said, the regions that benefitted most under Obama are the same ones benefitting most today.

Between 2017 and 2019, Jobs have increased by 1.9% in big-city counties, 1.3% in their suburbs, only 0.4% in "working-class" counties, and jobs actually shrank in farmland areas. Farm country has also disproportionately received the brunt of the pain from the trade wars.

Comment

• lol @ Hillary. Most bitter person in the world?

EDIT: Someone counted them up and Bernie made more campaign appearances on behalf of Hillary in August and Sept. 2016 than she did for herself. The idea that he didn't do enough for her, especially considering how and her pantsuit hordes treated Obama in 2008, is a bunch of butthurt bullshit.
                      Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; January 21, 2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Wait for the Biden-Hillary ticket.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          You see, Hanni, that's just an one-off nut unrepresentative of the Ds. White supremacists, however, are the backbone of PDJT's base.
                          Heh. heh. Right when that video hit, I knew that this would be the defense, and I knew that O'Keefe had more than a one-off. I'll bet that there's at least a few more coming.

Here's #2...

The Gulag Archipelago explained.

Comment

• lol @ Hillary. Most bitter person in the world?

EDIT: Someone counted them up and Bernie made more campaign appearances on behalf of Hillary in August and Sept. 2016 than she did for herself. The idea that he didn't do enough for her, especially considering how and her pantsuit hordes treated Obama in 2008, is a bunch of butthurt bullshit.
                            It's all milk and honey when HRC is bitterly bitching about stolen elections and such, but woe be to her if she goes after THE BERN!
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Heh. heh. Right when that video hit, I knew that this would be the defense, and I knew that O'Keefe had more than a one-off. I'll bet that there's at least a few more coming.

Here's #2...
                              Right. The problem when you openly appeal to communists is that you will end up with outright Soviet-style Stalinists supporting you.

The parallels are striking. It'd be really fantastic to see one of the D candidates nut the fuck up and go hard after Bernie. He's the one guy that'll have me pulling the lever for PDJT.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Looks like it's going to be Biden for sure from the Democrats now. I thought for sure that somebody would rise up and knock him off but it looks like there's next to no chance of that happening now. He's up 20 in Texas, up 26 in Florida, and up 10 in California. He's going to easily get a plurality of the delegates, at worst.

Comment

Working...
                                X