Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Joe is the best bet to knock off Trump.

Dems need to pay attention.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If he doesn't put Bernie or Lizzie on the ticket. Pandering to the hard left on the 2020 ticket is suicide. The best ticket would Amy-Joe, but I would settle for Joe-Amy. Hell, I'd settle for a ham sandwich against "OJ" Trump, just don't let it fall off the left side of the table.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I'm in concurrence with Jon. I don't have his immeasurably white hot hatred of PDJT, but I have no interest in ever voting for him. The most frustrating part of this little bit of American history is how near the cliff the Ds are with their nomination. Jon will vote for anyone they nominate, even if he has to do it holding his nose and wretching all the way. There's definite absention territory for me, and it's terrifyingly close.

Comment

• I wrote in Doc Hodgeman in 2016 and I'd prefer not to go that route again. Not that he isn't the single most deserving and qualified person for the Presidency, its just that I'd like to see at least one non-idiot on the ballot.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Through the first three states, it's not impossible that Biden could finish 2nd each time and come out with the most delegates. In case people forget, the Dems aren't winner-take-all, and a big, big factor this time will be this: finish under 15% in any state and you get nothing. That was never a real concern when it was just Hillary vs Bernie. But with 4 major candidates all polling close to each other, and Amy K maybe nibbling away as well, just falling short of 15% would be a disaster for any of them.

Comment

• Iowa poll released today has Biden ahead of the pack by 6 points. Second poll with that margin in as many days.

Biden leads the race with Warren, Buttigieg, and Sanders mid-pack, while Amy Klobuchar finds momentum on rural issues ahead of the Iowa Caucus.

Comment

• He really needs to win Iowa. If he does that then he's in complete control. If Bernie somehow wins, then he'll win NH and there's a real chance of fucking disaster.

Comment

• And Bernie will of course be stuck in DC for the next two weeks...

Comment

• Heroic delay efforts from Nancy!

Comment

• Will need to check out Trump's legal brief myself but it's being reported they are heavily relying on "there has to be a literal crime committed to impeach", which is patently untrue.

It also seems that they are going to argue that the Articles of Impeachment are "invalid" and that Trump isn't really impeached. LOL, I feel like Trump, obsessed with image, pressured them to make that case so he can go around on the stump claiming, in fact, he was never impeached.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Will need to check out Trump's legal brief myself but it's being reported they are heavily relying on "there has to be a literal crime committed to impeach", which is patently untrue.

It also seems that they are going to argue that the Articles of Impeachment are "invalid" and that Trump isn't really impeached. LOL, I feel like Trump, obsessed with image, pressured them to make that case so he can go around on the stump claiming, in fact, he was never impeached.
                          Bouncing off of this, Dersh was on MSNBC and was asked point blank, did Trump abuse the power of his office. He replied "That's irrelevant". Contradicting things he himself said in 1998-1999, Dersh and the Trump legal team will argue that Abuse of Power isn't a criminal offense, therefore you can't be impeached for it. Carrrying this to ridiculous extremes, Dersh has previously argued that if Russia invaded Alaska, and Trump refused to do anything about it, even that wouldn't constitute an impeachable offense.

Comment

• Was there a crime? A crime is a violation of a criminal statute. Out of curiosity, what criminal statute? The GAO stuff is, obviously, not criminal nor is a violation a crime.

Comment

• Lots of people also drawing attention to something said near the end of Trump's brief. It's on page 109. It says that the Articles invite the danger of an "unconstitutional conviction". The hell does that mean?

President Donald Trump’s legal team on Monday filed a lengthy response to charges he abused his office and obstructed Congress, decrying the attempt to remove him from office as a “charade” and calling on senators to quickly reject it.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Was there a crime? A crime is a violation of a criminal statute. Out of curiosity, what criminal statute? The GAO stuff is, obviously, not criminal nor is a violation a crime.
                                I'm not arguing a crime was committed. But I AM casting doubt on the necessity of there to be a crime for impeachment. And 1998 Dersh probably wouldn't agree with 2019 Dersh on the subject.

On top of that they are arguing for an almost absolute and total amount of Presidential immunity. In the courts right now this President's DOJ is arguing that:

1) No law enforcement body has the authority to investigate, let alone indict, the President, his family, or anyone he's done business with while he's in office.

2) Congress has no investigatory powers because that's a law enforcement mechanism. Congress isn't law enforcement, which falls under the President's purview at the Federal level.

3) The Courts have no business even being involved in a dispute between the Executive and Legislative branches. All such disputes should be allowed to be played out politically.

Essentially it all adds up to: Congress can ONLY impeach a President if they accuse him of committing a criminal offense but at the same time, they are expressly forbidden from conducting any sort of investigation into that alleged offense. They can only vote blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X