No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My indoor soccer team in college was called "Dynamo Hum", a play on Zappa's song!

My buddy's team was called "Real Angora". We met in the finals. Dynamo prevailed!

I definitely have not heard all of Zappa, but of the albums I own, I typically go to Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation most frequently. I find it to be the most "accessible" regardless of my mood! Roxy and Elsewhere is one of my faves, too. I usually go Hot Rats after that, then Joe's Garage. I have to be in the right mood for Joe's and Hot Rats! Of course, I have to be in the right mood for any of Zappa's works, usually!

Rob, seems we have more to talk about at the next tailgate than just M football!

And no, I won't talk to you about "butch" sports! Hah!

Comment

• Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation are probably the easiest for people who have never heard Zappa to relate to. I think Joe's Garage is absolutely brilliant, and would be my favorite.......probably because it was a blatant stick in the eye of the whole "Lyric advisory" bullshit. Skeik Yerbouti is just damn fun. Earlier MOI stuff needs to be listened to LOUD, and under the influence of something........

Great Googly Moogly!

Comment

• You guys should meet at St Alphonso's for pancake breakfast before the next tailgate.

Comment

• Good morning, your highness...

Comment

• Enjoy this next one (especially the extended guitar work of Zappa) the Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart song Muffin Man---

Frank's intro:

"The Muffin Man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen.

"Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon, he gathers an intimate quantity
            of dried muffin remnants, and, brushing his scapular aside, proceeds to dump these inside of his shirt.

"He turns to us and speaks, 'Some people like cupcakes better, I for one, care less for them!'

"Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing annointment utensil, he poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design.

"Later he says, 'Some people like cupcakes exclusively while myself, I say, there is not, nor ought there be, nothing so exaulted on the face of God's Great Earth as that Prince of Foods, The MUFFIN!"

Please take the time to just sit back and relax, close your eyes, and just soak in the music:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CGO9I8rmkE&feature=channel"]Frank Zappa - Muffin Man - YouTube[/ame]

Sure, his narratives and/or lyrics are somewhat silly at times, but they just happen to fit in perfectly with his awesome music and amazing guitar work!
            Last edited by Rob F; February 27, 2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• BTW.......Zappa hated Ohio St. ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by madootra View Post
                BTW.......Zappa hated Ohio St. ;-)
                Madman---heh!

I saw your post earlier today regarding your favorite Zappa albums, and agree with your assessment.

I've been enjoying this thread immensely the last couple days, there's only so many times you can hash and rehash the latest ohio dirt, so this Miscellaneous/OT discussion has quickly become a favorite of mine, especially since the talk turned first to music, and then specifically, to Zappa.

I've been impressed with the # of people here who share my appreciation for the works of Zappa. What has really surprised me, though, is the immense quantity of Zappa material available on YouTube! One could spend weeks on YouTube without playing everything that's been posted, both studio and live concert footage and recordings.

Yesterday alone, I listened to the entire Joe's Garage, Act I album and some of Joe's Garage Acts II and III, plus listened to a lot of other stuff spanning the 60's thru 80's, all on YouTube. Even found some songs I had never heard before, which prompted me to look at the very lengthy Wikipedia Frank Zappa page.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanB View Post
                  My indoor soccer team in college was called "Dynamo Hum", a play on Zappa's song!

My buddy's team was called "Real Angora". We met in the finals. Dynamo prevailed!

I definitely have not heard all of Zappa, but of the albums I own, I typically go to Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation most frequently. I find it to be the most "accessible" regardless of my mood! Roxy and Elsewhere is one of my faves, too. I usually go Hot Rats after that, then Joe's Garage. I have to be in the right mood for Joe's and Hot Rats! Of course, I have to be in the right mood for any of Zappa's works, usually!

Rob, seems we have more to talk about at the next tailgate than just M football!

And no, I won't talk to you about "butch" sports! Hah!
                  You won't believe this, Sean, but I also played on a team whose name was inspired by Zappa---back in the late 70's/early 80's, I played on a Slow-Pitch Softball team named "Cosmik Debris". We were a rag-tag bunch of partiers, I have no idea who on our team came up with the idea to name us "Cosmik Debris", but immediately, we embraced the name as an accurate description of the guys on the team. We partied with the best of them, but could put a mean Tyrone on any team that underestimated us. Funny thing about the song Cosmik Debris---one of the lyrics near the end was "you can make more money as a butcher"---our coach, who was also a pitcher and a helluva hitter---was a butcher in his daytime job.

We played in a couple of Kalamazoo-area leagues, did fairly well there, but did our best when we travelled to weekend tournaments. Funny thing was, other teams looked at us, laughed, and then didn't know what hit them---they'd be out there in their fancy full uniforms, while we played in jeans, shorts, mismatched uniform pants, but all of us proudly wearing
                  softball shirts reading Cosmik Debris on the front, and the initials FZ on the back above our uniform #'s. We looked ugly, won ugly, but partied hard.

It was during that period of time that I saw Zappa in concert for the 2nd and last time, at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo. Several of us on the team got tickets as soon as they went on sale, ending up in the 2nd row right in front of the stage. We even brought along a Cosmik Debris team shirt, yelled constantly for Zappa to play the song (unfortunately he didn't have it on his play list that night), and at one point, one of us tossed the shirt on stage right in front of Frank as he leaned against a stack of speakers smoking a cigarette, enjoying watching his band play. He picked up the shirt (we hoped he would wear it right on stage, but he didn't), held it up for a few seconds for the audience to see, then tossed it to a roadie behind him just before grabbing his guitar and launching into another solo.

Great times!
                  Last edited by Rob F; February 27, 2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• I think I still have one of my Cosmik Debris shirts, complete with a couple of burn holes from ashes. I'll have to look for it and then wear it to one of the tailgate parties...

Comment

• Frank produced an enormous amount, yes.......but it amazes me how little consideration he had for being "popular". One of the reasons I always loved him. I found out in the last few hours, completely seperately from this thread, that my sister saw the Mothers of Invention at the Grande Ballroom in 1969. Of all the shows/acts she saw that I didn't, I think I'm most upset by that. ;-)

Upon further investigation, I have found that the following acts Do follow and support OSU.......
                      Nickleback, Toto, Asia, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Air Supply, Styx, The Bay City Rollers, Justin Bieber, and Bobby Brown.
                      Thanks Wikipedia!

Comment

• and Bobby Brown
                        ...I bet it's not the same Bobby Brown that is the subject of Zappa's song Bobby Brown!

Comment

• So I have to ask who's in charge of bringing the pot for the Zappa tailgate party? I know you all are potheads something wicked.

Comment

• Dwight Yoakam is from the flagship but I like him anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                              ...I bet it's not the same Bobby Brown that is the subject of Zappa's song Bobby Brown!

http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/for...&postcount=486
                              You may want to reconsider that notion Rob! The song may be precisely about an OSU student.........just sayin'.

Comment

• Dennis.....my money is on Stan.

Comment

Working...
                                X