No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babylon Bee reports that the coronavirus passes over houses with Chick-fil-A sauce smeared on the doorway.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Also, god-willing, Caruna will visit some small measure of vengeful justice on that bat-eating ChiCom Liren. It'd be an especially hard glove to the face with Fabio playing black.
      He could be the Caruna Virus!
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• That had to be said. No one is happy about it, but it had to be done.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I read that bat eating thing in a journal article ...... fuck the Chinese and the wierd fukity-fuk shit they eat and their fukity fuk CHINESE virus.

Am I offended by this? Will I still like Chinese people after this is over.

Fuck no..... and fuckin-a, maybe

Like I've said many times saying fuck in all it's forms is sooo therapeutic. My Mom, who used to say "shavings" or "fart this" told me it was fine to use the word fuck - highly emotive - but not in public.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Did I read correctly that a Scotsman may have found a cure? What part of the sheep does it involve?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Did I read correctly that a Scotsman may have found a cure? What part of the sheep does it involve?

Comment

• Bats are cool. I've even build homeless shelters for them.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Say what you will about vienna sausages, they're not contaminated with pandemic-inducing viruses.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Vienna Sausages are proof that god loves us and wants us happy.

Comment

• So, yeah, we're talking up pharmaceuticals as a way turn the corner on COVID-19. Not to buzz-kill that talk but I read a very long and very detailed (God, brought back memories of the dreadfully difficult pharmacology and human physiology courses I took) discussion of the use of what are called Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARBs) and their companions, Angiotensin Coverting Enzyme Inhibitors (ACEs) in treating COVID-19.

For medical researchers in the US, It seems to have some effectiveness but nothing definitive and that is because of how complex evaluating efficacy, controlling variable and eliminating selection bias in drug testing - a huge bugabio in small sample sized tests.

Seems COVID-19 (along with SARS COV2 where this stuff got the most study) use proteins that are blocked by ARBs to access your body's cells. Bloc the protein and the virus doesn't infect the cell its trying to enter. If you want to get into the weeds on this, there's a link below but be prepared, regardless of your background in human physiology, to be overwhelmed. I was. If you follow the links to the NIH site, there is a huge clinical trial being assembled right now to test ARBs efficacy v. COVID-19. So the medical community thinks there is promise with ARBs.

Two points:

ARBs do seem to help and work best in clearing the virus when it is used early. It has little to no effect in critically ill patients .... if a patient is on an ACE or an ARB don't stop them as long as you can maintain hemodynamic stability (don't let BP or K+ levels get too low).

The way medical scientists work in the West, especially the US, requires exhaustive study and trials that pass all the statistical barriers to demonstrate the study has power and can be reliably predictive as to the tested outcome. The Western medical community gets schooled ad- nauseum in this and so most practitioners believe in the process and the scientific method. The Chinese aren't nearly as rigid scientifically. In fact, and in private, they laugh about the rigidity in US medical research. Chines docs administered these drugs copiously and often during both the SARS COV2 event there and now during COVID-19. They don't document shit, they just say it works. Pluses and minuses to both approaches.

ACE2, coronavirus, COVID19, SARS, hypertension, COVID-19, RAS, renin-angiotensin system
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            On AA's pharma link ...... I had heard about hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil - used for Malria, RA, etc.) as a drug that has been around for a long time and being newly pushed as a treatment for the common cold - that would be coronavirus. Azithromycin (your friendly Z-Pack) has, for years been believed to be effective against atypical pneumonia associated with mycoplasma. I probably over-prescribed this for what amounted to any viral cold that produced a productive cough and fever. My patient's loved me when they got better in 2-3d - of course I gave them an injection of prednisone (kenalog) in the office and then gave them a scrip for 60mg/d of prednisolone (that's a heavy duty dose of your typical pred-pac for 5d. I've not been aware of their use as combo therapy but it makes sense.

Shit, package a billion tabs - it's widely available - and ship them to Italy. Fuck the trials. You've got a perfect cohort to test this stuff on. This got my attention:

A recent well controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult? M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.

EDIT: the other AA link to this antiviral targeted at Influenza, favipiravir, appears to work pretty well in less complicated COVID-19 cases, less so in more complex ones in the elderly. OK, fine, get testing up to speed and throw this shit at anyone with mild symptos and stop those fuckers from being vectors for the virus ...... I should be king of Public Health! I could save the world ..... and, yeah, I'm a Scot.
                            You sound like my doctor, Prednisone is King. Sometimes I go to the urgent care and all they want to prescribe is a Z pack. That ain't going to work Hoss, give me the shot and a script.

Comment

• Yep ...... I got a lot of, you are a God like comments from my patients out of the use of the stuff. It works...... also elevated my self esteem beyond what might be appropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                Vienna Sausages are proof that god loves us and wants us happy.
                                Mechanically separated chicken...mmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                                X