Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://greatgameindia.com/italian-s...h-coronavirus/

An article from May 2019 about Chinese researching novel coronaviruses from bats.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• As voters, we can only hold our elected officials directly accountable. So, we focus on the response by the folks we can hold directly accountable. And there are many things that could have been better even if there are certainly credible reasons why they weren't. Even if this is entirely China's fault we still, presumably, want our elected officials to deal with Chinese fuckery in the best way. Chinese fuckery, in a million different forms, is never going away. We have to deal with it, and it's fair to hold elected officials responsible for how they do, in fact, deal with it.

In telling the larger story, however, the Chinese fuckery cannot be be undersold. It just can't. You have to hold those fucks accountable.

And, if you're going to critcize our elected officials and their response through a comparison to China and Chinese numbers then you can go fuck yourself with rusted scrap iron.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• And, to some extent, Dr. Birx is right in that our early response was guided by Chinese numbers. I know that I looked at them at thought it might be manageable. In fact, a lot of people looked at them and thought it was manageable. When PDJT issued his travel ban re China, a fuckton of your standard Woke Ds protested. There was basically one Senator screaming from the rooftops and everyone else ignoring it because they had a farce impeachment to get through. The point being that early on, it didn't look THIS bad and that's not some sort of PDJT take -- it was bipartisan.

It wasn't until Italy that we saw the truth, and by then it was way too late. And even then there was hesitancy from a number of elected officials to take drastic actions (PDJT included, obviously). So, we lost signifiant mitigation time. The cases and deaths we're seeing now were still going to happen, but we wouldn't see quite the NYC pile up if someone had the gigantic steel balls to shut down NYC in early March. I fully recognize that's a huge ask.

The lesson is that you never, ever trust China. Not even when it comes to a seemingly "we're all in this together" situation.

Comment

• 17% of the NYPD is now out sick. Over 1400 have tested positive

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            And, to some extent, Dr. Birx is right in that our early response was guided by Chinese numbers. I know that I looked at them at thought it might be manageable. In fact, a lot of people looked at them and thought it was manageable. When PDJT issued his travel ban re China, a fuckton of your standard Woke Ds protested. There was basically one Senator screaming from the rooftops and everyone else ignoring it because they had a farce impeachment to get through. The point being that early on, it didn't look THIS bad and that's not some sort of PDJT take -- it was bipartisan.

It wasn't until Italy that we saw the truth, and by then it was way too late. And even then there was hesitancy from a number of elected officials to take drastic actions (PDJT included, obviously). So, we lost signifiant mitigation time. The cases and deaths we're seeing now were still going to happen, but we wouldn't see quite the NYC pile up if someone had the gigantic steel balls to shut down NYC in early March. I fully recognize that's a huge ask.

The lesson is that you never, ever trust China. Not even when it comes to a seemingly "we're all in this together" situation.
            Last edited by AlabamAlum; April 1, 2020, 09:26 AM.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              17% of the NYPD is now out sick. Over 1400 have tested positive
              Just a nightmare. National Guard will have to take over police work before long until they get sick, too.

Comment

• However, from the point the Imperial College paper came out until now, our actions are on us.
                Correct. China is not some "get out of jail free card" for US politicians. We still hold those folks accountable.

Comment

• In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter where this came from or who is at fault for the virus (yes it is from China, so the fuck what?). The failure of the Trump administration has been and still is colossal. That cannot be denied. That fucker is complicit and should be held accountable come November.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Last week I posted that I thought it was incredibly difficult to understand the impact of, at that time, emerging monetary policy from the Fed and fiscal policy from the Trump administration on the economy. Said I'd look around for something that provided some level of understanding of these complex issues. Found it.

So, yeah, I'm an optimist. The numbers are factual. No escaping that. Conclusions drawn from the case numbers, however, require an understanding of their inherent limitations. I think most here do that. I may tend to apply this understanding differently than others. The one thing that causes me to do that is that I believe we underestimate the impact of innovation. We underestimate it in dealing with the health crisis and the economic crisis. It's out there ..... if you look for it.

Economic contagion is now spreading as fast as the coronavirus itself. Social distancing, intended to physically disrupt the spread, has severed the flow of goods and people, stalled economies, and is in the process of delivering a global recession. Predicting the path ahead has become nearly impossible, as multiple dimensions of the crisis are unprecedented and unknowable. Pressing questions include the path of the shock and recovery, whether economies will be able to return to their pre-shock output levels and growth rates, and whether there will be any structural legacy from the coronavirus crisis. The authors explore several scenarios to model the size and scale of the economic shock and the path ahead.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• And the first shoe drops. Whiting Petroleum, one of the biggest drillers in the Bakken, declares bankruptcy. But there will be no price relief for other companies as the restructuring will allow the oil to keep on flowing.

Their stock has literally lost almost 99% of its value in just a year. Was trading at $30 early last April. Going for 38 cents today

Comment

• In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter where this came from or who is at fault for the virus (yes it is from China, so the fuck what?). The failure of the Trump administration has been and still is colossal.
                        In the big scheme of things it certainly does fucking matter. Hold China to account or fuck off. In the "little" scheme of things -- i.e., US politics -- vote how you feel. But never forget how fucking awful the Chinese were. I will not brook "so the fuck what" when it comes to those fucks. Ever.

The problem with taking the Chinese properly to task is that it relieve *some* responsibility from PDJT (and de Blasio and Schumer and other politicians). But if there's one thing I'm 100% certain of -- #GentryProgs would rather cut China slack than cut PDJT slack. That's a 100% no-brainer.
                        Last edited by iam416; April 1, 2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter where this came from or who is at fault for the virus (yes it is from China, so the fuck what?). The failure of the Trump administration has been and still is colossal. That cannot be denied. That fucker is complicit and should be held accountable come November.

Comment

• Well, sure, I think China should absolutely be held accountable ....... in the after action report.

We can waste a lot of psychic energy on recriminations. It can paralyze. We don't need that right now. I see it in FL politics. Ron Desantis, for the most part, has been an effective governor in terms of crisis management. His critics want to take him to task for a lot of things he either has or has not done, most prominently, his strategy to not lock down the entire state but rather to focus on containment of hot-spots - right now Broward and Miami Dade Counties (South Florida). We'll see how that turns out - the beach thing has been blown completely out of proportion by the national media. Whatever.

Looking at what's on your plate right now and figuring out how to deal with it, looking forward, makes a lot more sense to me than looking back.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

In the big scheme of things it certainly does fucking matter. Hold China to account or fuck off. In the "little" scheme of things -- i.e., US politics -- vote how you feel. But never forget how fucking awful the Chinese were. I will not brook "so the fuck what" when it comes to those fucks. Ever.

The problem with taking the Chinese properly to task is that it relieve *some* responsibility from PDJT (and de Blasio and Schumer and other politicians). But if there's one thing I'm 100% certain of -- #GentryProgs would rather cut China slack than cut PDJT slack. That's a 100% no-brainer.
                              Oh bullshit.
                              Nobody wants to cut China any slack, but as said above, it anyone believes anything that comes out of China, he is a naive fool. Jesus. They are always fucking awful. It's as if that was a surprise to the Trump and his lackeys. When Trump was denying, calling it a Fake News! and golfing China was building fucking hospitals. It didn't take a stable genius to see that this was a big fucking deal. Yes, hold China accountable for all the bullshit that they pulled here and try to pull otherwise, but the bottom line is that the federal government's response to this has been borderline criminal.
                              BTW, Ya'll are lucky to have a governor with the balls to do the right thing. You could have Kay "We're not California" Ivey...
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X