No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glimmer of good news today. Italy's cases in ICUs went down for the first time.

Comment

• Shut down your entire country for 3 weeks and eventually see ICU cases slightly decline. That's what passes for good news these days.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Ohio update. Cases: 2902 ==> 3312 ==> 3739 (12.9%); Deaths, 65 ==> 81 ==> 91 ==> 102 (12%); Hospitlizations 679 ==> 802 ==> 895 ==> 1006 (12.4%); ICUs 222 ==> 260 ==> 298 ==> 326 (9.3%).

That's a pretty great close to the week -- relatively speaking. Again, it's hard to know with cases because of testing issues, but the other stats are clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          ......... Again, it's hard to know with cases because of testing issues, but the other stats are clear.
          I think what's happening with the data is that sample size is increasing - larger sample sizes give more reliable results with greater precision and power.

I've subscribed at no cost to the NYT COVID-19 Briefings. They come out every morning and if there is something to report, they are published again each evening. There's also a weekend update.

I stopped looking at the very good charts in these briefings because, well, I felt the data underlying them was flawed - lots of chances for both misrepresentation or misinformation.

Friday, the charts got greatly expanded and they are current for today. We're getting some fine grain stuff now. Worth a look. Here's some things I took from them:
          • Very few states or communities appear to be flattening the curve to the extent that new case GR is < or = to 0. Some might be heading that way. That's good news.
          • Crude mortality (deaths) after reaching a peak in most states/communities dives sharply. In some it's more gradual but it is declining. The problem is that deaths lag so, I'm not taking a lot from this.
          • The charts don't say anything about this and I'm not going to guess but it is very difficult to associate best practices (social distancing orders and compliance with them, degree of enforcement, etc.) with flattening of the new case curves or deaths. IMO, still too many variables. It would be nice to conclude, hey, w'ere doing really good here in Miami FL compared to other large metro places but I don't think that's possible to determine ..... yet. Another two weeks ..... maybe.
          See for yourself ...... and offer your observations:

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The OG's of Fake News:
            Hannity. Rush. Dobbs. Ingraham. Pirro. Nunes. Tammy. Geraldo. Doocy. Hegseth. Schlapp. Siegel. Watters. Dr. Drew. Henry. Ainsley. Gaetz. Inhofe. Pence. Kudlo...

Comment

• This is why I am staying in Florida instead of heading back to my property in GA. What a fucking clown:

"As the Pentagon ordered 100,000 body bags to store the corpses of Americans killed by the Coronavirus, Governor Brian Kemp dictated that Georgia beaches must reopen and declared any decision makers who refused to follow these orders would face prison and/or fines. "

Here's the Mayor of Tybee Island GA's response to this idiocy:

Additionally in spite of the serious health situation facing our community and the world, Governor Kemp has rescinded all restrictions put in place by local municipalities since March 1st.

Tybee City Council and I are devastated by the sudden directives and do not support his decisions. The health of our residents, staff and visitors are being put at risk and we will pursue legal avenues to overturn his reckless mandate."

While Desantis took shit from the national press for his decision to allow local authorities to close beaches along FL's coasts, unfairly, IMO, I don't think a single FL beach has unrestricted access to beach goers right now.

There's state-wide stay at home orders. To my knowledge places where beach crowds typically gather in coastal FL cites, bars and restaurants are closed.

I can only speak for Fort Lauderdale but no one is on the beaches and local police and sheriff's patrols are enforcing the closures. Horse mounted Fort Lauderdale police are patrolling Los Olas Blvd, the heart of Fort Lauderdale's social, bar and restaurant scene, and reminding folks who want to gather, not to do so. Groups of 2 and no more. Strict take-out rules from the restaurants that are open. We've frequented the area on our walks - people appear to be distancing responsibly and following take-out rules and restaurant restrictions.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Trump says he doesn't know much about why Crozier was fired...then goes on to describe it in detail and says that he thought the letter he wrote was terrible. Should have made a phone call. You don't write letters like that. "This isn't a class on literature", Trump says. Agrees completely with the decision to fire him. But oh, I don't know much about it.

Looking more and more like the WH probably ordered Crozier be fired and it wasn't strictly a military decision.

Comment

• Time for another impeachment.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Time for another impeachment.
                      Fair enough. Get it started.

I thought the end of this Jonah Goldberg piece was good

Comment

• Lee Zeldin, Republican from eastern Long Island, says the hospitals there basically have no face masks, no gowns, no face shields, no body bags, and they're dealing with 25,000 COVID cases and (obviously) growing. Pleading with anyone to send help.

Comment

• COVID-19 takes the life of former Saints kicker Tom Dempsey, who held the NFL record for the longest field goal ever from 1970 to 2013.

Tom Dempsey, a retired NFL kicker long known for a 63-yard field goal he kicked in 1970, died Saturday night after a bout with coronavirus, according to reports. He was 73.

Comment

• Bummer. I was fascinated by his half-foot, record-setting FG when I was a kid.

Comment

• Capture.JPG
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Michigan deaths - no curve yet, sill a slope.

Capture.JPG
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X