No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would have said China is the President Xi of nation-states.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I also think the evidence is becoming increasingly strong that this isn't a 1% or lower CFR. It's closer to 3 or even 4. I've read that "experts" estimate that 20% are asymptomatic. And I don't know how many truly mild cases go untested. But in terms of diagnosed cases it's 6% (if you remove the Chinese "numbers"). And that includes gads of cases that haven't run their course. So, probably closer to 8-9% if you froze all new cases and let the existing ones play out.

That means that in order for it to be 3% there would have to be as almost twice as many undiagnosed cases (asymptomiatic or very mild) as there are diagnosed cases.

To reiterate, if I could take 250,000 deaths in the US right now and be done with it, I'd do it. I think we're going to blow by that.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• That's about the sum of it. I wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm not even sure we're in the fucking tunnel, yet. Oh well.

Comment

• Yep, the fight to portray themselves as the bigger Trumpster by local candidates is bordering on pathetic. Hell there are local councilmen campaigning on building the fucking wall and being strong on immigration. Jesus. Trumpland is stupid.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Best celebrity chess players that I know of:

Arnold Schwarzenegger
                Howard Stern
                Humphrey Bogart
                Stanley Kubrick

There are some others, like Madonna. Some have guessed her rating at around 2000. I think that might be apocryphal. The only game I have seen of hers looked like maybe a 1600. Hugh Laurie plays and is decent. But the four I listed at the top are solid. Easily 1900 and up.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The Nick must not be a celebrity. He plays at 3100 or higher.

Comment

• Nick does not have time for the foolishness of chess. It takes away from recruiting.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Speaking of which, HARBAUGH!!!! is killing it in Massachusetts!

Comment

• Bogart, Bacall, and Boyer.

bogart-boyer-bacall.jpg
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• In between scenes filming Casablanca

casa.jpg
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• With Joan Bennett filming We're No Angels

Bogart-Bennet.jpg

Comment

• One example of how crazy things are for states trying to buy medical supplies. A "supplier" (really a guy who 'knows' a guy) told Illinois that he had to have a check deposited in his account by 2PM that day or the deal was off. Too many other bidders. A comptroller had to race up I-55 with a check for over $3M to meet the guy in a McDonald's parking lot.

To meet the deadline of a supplier and get 1.5 million potentially life-saving N95 masks, Illinois’ assistant comptroller raced north on I-55 with a $3.4 million check.

Comment

• I'm with AA's position, "I just can't talk about it (CFR)" except I got there sometime early last week for reasons tht had more to do with the reliability of the reported data. I haven't fully embraced the Chinese fucked up and a bio-weapon was accidentally released theory yet but, I've never believed other than the Chicoms are very bad actors.

If I were President right now, I'd renew the mutual defense treaty with Taiwan and tell the Chinese go fuck themselves. if the conspiricists are even remotely close based on anecdotal evidence, you can bet US intel sources have the goods on those fuckers. If hot conventional navel engagements ensued in the South China Sea, well, nuke Beijing preemptively and that's just for starters. If that sounds overly bellicose, well, consider that the Chicoms may have very well considered a bioweapon like COVID-19 as a means to destabilize the West, collapse their economies and let the fittest survive the apocalypse that follows and in their minds it's them.

OK, enough of that shit!

I've been looking at and writing about good news, or, at least, things that could turn out to be good news, e.g., "convalescent serum." It helps me to keep positive ...... and avoid contemplating an increasingly probable nightmare collapse of civil rule, the apocalypse and the post apocalypse survival of China . Anyway ......

This morning, it was BCG which is the vaccine for TB. Widespread use in countries with poor HC systems, in the US, not at all. That's because, Tuberculosis is rare in the West except in certain settings. What BCG is known to do is boost immunity, not just for TB but for a wide range of pathogens. It's not known if COVID-19 is one of them; could be; testing underway, news at ..... wait. Not any time soon...... and that's the troubling thing about all the medical innovation, all the world's governments monetary and fiscal initiatives ...... "check's in the mail" and never mind the USPS sucks.

Have a nice weekend. It's beauiful here in FL. My yard looks super mainly because I've got time on my hands and besides watch movies, reruns of NCIS, Chicgo PD, SVU (love those shows) it's all I have to do.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X