No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WHO released this morning EDT the conditions that need to be in place for countries to "open" economies. The document beats anything I have ever posted here in terms of long-windedness and length. I read the whole fucking thing. There's a lot of fluff, no executive summary and the conditions to be met are obscured in page long explanations of what they mean. NPR fleshed out the 6 things needed:

1. Disease transmission is under control

2. Health systems are able to "detect, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact"

3. Hot spot risks are minimized in vulnerable places, such as nursing homes

4. Schools, workplaces and other essential places have established preventive measures

5. The risk of importing new cases "can be managed"

6. Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to live under a new normal

These aren't unworkable although it is my position that it will take too long to obtain #2 in absolute terms within the US. There has to be some slack here. To my knowledge no state in the US or probably country/state in the world, is in a position to do #2 as it is described in lengthy detail in the WHO document. Some can be done but there will be "leakers."

Something in the WHO document I found interesting is that the WHO is establishing, with the cooperation of governments and global industry, a hub and spoke system to allow equitable distribution of medical equipment, PPE, and therapeutics. It's something the Trump administration could have done right out of the gate but instead, deferred to the states to meet their needs individually. He was initially criticized publicly by Cuomo for that but I actually think that things in this department have worked out over time and by the vastly over-estimated need for all kinds of stuff. I'm also aware that FEMA did get involved having the infrastructure in place to distribute supplies. I heard a briefing yesterday from the Logistics guy on Desanti's staff that said FEMA was working with him and that right now, FL has what it needs or is the process of getting it (mostly testing stuff of all varieties).

The Trump administration would be wise to polish this up a bit to better fit the situation on the ground and release a general guidance document to the states who can the regionalize it. I'm not confident that will happen after Trump symbolically defunded US support of WHO. A really stupid political move intended to do nothing but deflect any blame for the outcomes of COVID in the US.

The easing of shutdowns is a hot topic, as economic output is now stalled in many countries – including the U.S. But ending a shutdown too soon could backfire, the World Health Organization says.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

There's no way to soft sell this Whit. I get your concern about your folks. There are ways to protect yourself to significantly lower your risk of getting infected. At some point in the future, the probability of becoming infected will be known but it's not known now. If you do become infected, members of your household can take steps to stop it from spreading to them. The information of how to do that is out there.
      No you don't get it. Let me lay this out for you as plain as I can. I take this really seriously. Every time I go out I wear a mask and gloves been doing it since the recommendation comes down. I always have hand sanitizer on me, when I come back from wherever I go. I put the gloves in the washing machine. I take off everything and go and take a shower. I am doing most of the shopping these days. My folks don't work (they are retired and busier than ever). And a couple times a week they will drive around but mom stays in the truck and my dad does the same procedure I do.

So if we do get back to work---if they get sick. A really good chance (I am guessing over 80%) that it came from me. So pardon me if I am wanting actual supplies and testing kits to actually be available we open things up.

I know the fear well, it rides with me when I go somewhere. It pulls up a chair and has dinner with me. It is the same fear that adult children have when they think of their parents. It is the same fear that parents have looking at their children right now. Some people still have to go to work because they are necessary....they are essential. And some of them (especially in the medical community) have to isolate themselves from their families because there is no choice. They do this, because they do not want to be responsible for giving their families this.

And then to see people not understanding the problem (and it is apparent that most do not understand it unless it is happening to them or a loved one close them), and complaining....oh my god....why can't I take my jet ski out to the lake.....oh I can't plant my garden now (who the hell plants a garden in April in Michigan?))...it is picking at nits. Hell, I see lots of people when I go into the stores not wearing gloves, masks or even attempting to social distance.

There are things that the federal government could have done to ease the pain of the economy, but they chose not to do them. There could have been federal leadership but there has been none. Instead this has been left to the states to deal with it (President Buchanan would have been proud), and the result is piecemeal for the most part. Hell, states are going to regional pacts now.

We do know that we have only dealt with the first wave as soon as things relax a bit there will be a second wave. This is how pandemics work. Making sure there are enough supplies so the CF that happened with hospitals doesn't happen again is not asking too much. Even if we are atop of the hill (and outside of a couple of glimmers there is not much to suggest we are yet) it will plateau for a couple weeks before going down.

It is not asking too much to have some questions answered before we get back to work.

1) is there a test that can detect accurately if people have had it an it generated antibodies? if so, then do we have an idea of how much immunity and how long it lasts?

2) is this going to be seasonal like the flu? if so, then the summer months could be more normal (still would not have MLB, crowded beaches, concerts maybe some restaurants could open up though)

3) is there going be mass testing? and for those that get infected is there going to be enough people to do the contact tracing?

4) What kind of social distancing is going to be needed?

Right now there are a lot of people pushing to open everything up ASAP. It is better to be too long in the first time than open too soon and have to slam down harder. The second time you slam down even less people are going to put up with it.

Things will open up again but let us make sure that supplies that are needed get to where they are and have enough reserves in case a surge suddenly pops up. People are going to want to know there is a plan in place. Right now, people are pushing to open things before we are ready just to open them up.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I can confirm second hand knowledge about the Geraghty column. It seems like it is starting to lighten up. The US hospital system as a whole trannsformed so it could handle this surge. But they are using nearly every tool in their arsenal to maximize capacity for this. It can handle more in Detroit but we have to always remember in their current state, these aren't truly functioning hospitals as we know it. If you go to one of these hospitals it is weird how empty it is but how full it is.

Comment

• As a result, we will not have strict enforcement of these
          orders. We will deal with every case as an individual situation and apply common sense in assessing the apparent violation.

Each of us took an oath to uphold and defend the Michigan Constitution, as well as the US Constitution, and to ensure that your God given rights are not violated. We believe that we are the last line of defense in protecting your civil liberties.

Our focus needs to be on reopening our counties and getting people back to work. We also need to be aware that this virus is deadly and that we need to continue to practice social distancing, washing of hands, wearing of masks as well as other medically recommended measures. Allowing those without paychecks back to work is imperative to the economic success and wellbeing of our community. We can do this in stages, especially those that work outside.

Together, as a community, we will overcome this pandemic, and as Americans, we will persevere and come out even stronger than before. As Sheriffs of your community we want you to know we have your back and will continue to serve the people who have entrusted us with your protection.

Leelanau County Sheriff Mike Borkovich
          Benzie County Sheriff Ted Schendel
          Manistee County Sheriff Ken Falk
          Mason County Sheriff Kim Cole

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• No dumb asses, your focus needs to be on law enforcement, that's what you're paid for. If my God given rights and civil liberties are threatened, I will deal with it - the last people I need unrequested "help" from is you. I get that you long for the days when the donut shops were all open but no one, NO ONE, has granted you pandemic management authority. So STFU.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Trump says the pro forma sessions currently being held by Congress are a "scam" intended to hold up his nominees. He threatens to use his awesome powers to declare Congress "adjourned" and make recess appointments.

I don't know which of the sycophants around him is putting these ideas in his head, but the Obama administration once got cute and tried to declare the Senate "in recess". Look up NLRB v Noel Canning. A unanimous Supreme Court, in a decision written by Breyer, slapped their hand.
              Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; April 15, 2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I def don't think it's beyond reason. Would explain some of their behavior.

Incidentally, look at the trajectory for China on this chart compared with every other non-island nation on earth and ask yourself how realistic is China's "dramatic" recovery between days 30-60?

EVraQzlXgAIGP7r?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• You know my feelings on China. And we already KNOW that they were isolating various bat-genesis coronaviruses in labs. In Wuhan. We know this. For a decade. A fucking decade. Or more.

Fuck them. They are worse actors than Iran. By far. Not even close.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• NY is now sending ventilators to other states. Another hysterical narrative eats shit and dies.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          NY is now sending ventilators to other states. Another hysterical narrative eats shit and dies.
                          New York? Or the whole virus?

Comment

• From the completely not shocked department: Wuhan whistleblowers still missing months later.

Amid tightening controls on information in China, two citizen journalists reporting on the coronavirus pandemic in Wuhan disappeared in February, according to a report, and months later, activists say the whistleblowers are still missing. Armed with smart phones and social media accounts, non-sanctioned reporters on the outbreak challenged the Communist Party's tightly policed monopoly on information on an unprecedented scale.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Good news

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X