No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a firearm owner. If some criminal is fighting me and pulls what I KNOW to be a taser, I will drop them where they stand like a bag of rocks. I wouldn’t even think twice about it.

The Atlanta mayor has said in reference to this cop that “just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should .”

I assume with that she is saying that it was a ‘technically legal’ use of force. Hopefully, the officer is exonerated and wins cash in a lawsuit, but with today’s craziness, he probably won’t.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I assume with that she is saying that it was a ‘technically legal’ use of force. Hopefully, the officer is exonerated and wins cash in a lawsuit, but with today’s craziness, he probably won’t.
      Well, he can't get a fair trial in Atlanta or anywhere nearby, because he's already been found guilty, and will be the scapegoat for everything that has followed.

But what is a white officer supposed to do with a black person who refuses to cooperate while he/she does their job? When the black person gets physical, is the white officer supposed to back off and leave them alone? What if this is a man who has just killed his wife and kids?

And lets take this a step further. Lets reverse the colors on the Atlanta shooting. A black officer (there are many in the Atlanta Police Department) attempts to arrest a non-cooperative white man, who takes the officers tazer, runs, and then turns and points it at him.

The white suspect gets shot by the black officer, and dies.

Would Wendy's be a pile of ashes today?
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
        And in Atlanta.

Guy asleep in the drive-thru lane of a Wendy’s. Cops called. Sleeping guy moves to a parking spot. Police decide to arrest him. He fights police, gets the taser from one of the cops, and runs. Cop pursues. The guy whips around and points the stolen taser at the pursuing cop and gets shot and dies.

So, now rioters have burned down that Wendy’s and have shut down the interstate. The cop is fired after being publicly excoriated by the mayor and the police chief has resigned as a result.

I am as anti police abuse as anyone. But come the fuck on.

Protesters angry over the fatal police shooting of a black man at a fast-food restaurant in Atlanta marched onto the highway Saturday, shutting down part of the I-75/85 downtown connector, a major thoroughfare through the city.
        Okay, I don't understand why they were arresting the guy (who is clearly homeless). I mean they can, but that seems like an escalation there. Why not take him to a shelter or some place where he could get a hot meal and a shower?
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Okay, I don't understand why they were arresting the guy (who is clearly homeless). I mean they can, but that seems like an escalation there. Why not take him to a shelter or some place where he could get a hot meal and a shower?

Clearly homeless? I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Did you read the article I linked?

I guess he could be homeless, but he got drunk, drove his car to Wendy’s to buy burgers, got in the drive-thru, fell asleep in the drive-thru lane, and then moved his car to a parking spot where cops did a field sobriety test and were attempting to arrest him when he started fighting.

The incident began with a call to police at 10:33 p.m. Friday about a man sleeping in a parked vehicle in the restaurant's drive-thru lane, causing other customers to drive around it, the GBI said in a statement.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Clearly homeless? I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Did you read the article I linked?

I guess he could be homeless, but he got drunk, drove his car to Wendy’s to buy burgers, got in the drive-thru, fell asleep in the drive-thru lane, and then moved his car to a parking spot where cops did a field sobriety test and were attempting to arrest him when he started fighting.

Ahh....I must skipped over the part he was in his car. I was thinking that he was asleep in the lane not in the car.

I get the cops were doing their job by the book. He cooperated long enough for a field sobriety test which he failed. At that point, the important thing is making sure that he doesn't drive (which thankfully does not happen). But i wonder a couple things.....

1) How secure was that taser to begin with?

2) While it was by the book was it necessary? They could have taken his keys and someone could have called a cab (which he would have paid of course).
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• And the media is the willing handmaiden to this unraveling. He failed a sobriety test (shocking, since he was asleep in his car in a drive-thru), violently fought the cops, grabbed the officer’s taser, ran, and then pointed the taser at the pursuing cop.

But some media reported it was just a ‘minor scuffle’. One source even originally stated that he was ‘shot in the back for simply attempting to flea.’

I don’t even have words.
              Welcome aboard, AA.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I get the cops were doing their job by the book. He cooperated long enough for a field sobriety test which he failed. At that point, the important thing is making sure that he doesn't drive (which thankfully does not happen). But i wonder a couple things.....

2) While it was by the book was it necessary? They could have taken his keys and someone could have called a cab (which he would have paid of course).
                I think there are a couple points here. First, the arrest was absolutely correct. Nearly everyone gets arrested in that situation. Second, you steal a weapon from a cop, flee and then threaten the cop, I think you're in a precariously position.

There are ample examples where the use of deadly force was plainly wrong. This would not be a hill I'd want to die on. But, fuck, man, the Cultural Revolution is here so why not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Ahh....I must skipped over the part he was in his car. I was thinking that he was asleep in the lane not in the car.

I get the cops were doing their job by the book. He cooperated long enough for a field sobriety test which he failed. At that point, the important thing is making sure that he doesn't drive (which thankfully does not happen). But i wonder a couple things.....

1) The tasers aren’t under lock and key, they’re in a holster on the cop’s belt.

2) He was drunk driving. I don’t think the precedent you want to set is that everyone who fails a field sobriety test simply has to fight the cops and take his taser, and point it at him to avoid arrest. Or do you advocate that all drunk drivers stopped by police get off free? That the cop’s job is simply to just take their keys and call them a cab?

Comment

• I think the point is that all black people should get off for drunk driving.

Comment

• If there’s bodycam and/or dashcam footage confirming the cop version of events then it’s hard to find much to argue about.

Comment

• These are crazy times. I mean otherwise sane, good folks are looking at an incident where a drunk fights a cop, takes one of his weapons, runs, and wheels around and points
                        the stolen weapon at the cop and are saying the cop shoulda just put his hands up and surrendered or ran the other way or shouldn’t arrest drunk drivers or something.

It’s hard for me to understand and I’m one of those people who rail against asshole police and them stepping over the line, but this? Come on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          If there’s bodycam and/or dashcam footage confirming the cop version of events then it’s hard to find much to argue about.
                          Apparently there is body cam and security footage.

Comment

• The Wendy's surveillance video doesn't show the scuffle, but shows Brooks running away from where police cars are parked. In that video, Brooks appears to point the stun gun at the Atlanta officer.

At that point the Atlanta officer reaches down and retrieves his weapon from his holster, discharges it, strikes Mr. Brooks there on the parking lot and he goes down," Reynolds, the GBI director, said in a press conference on Saturday.“
                            Protesters angry over the fatal police shooting of a black man at a fast-food restaurant in Atlanta marched onto the highway Saturday, shutting down part of the I-75/85 downtown connector, a major thoroughfare through the city.

(also, lol @ “scuffle”)

There is video of him fighting the cops. I have seen it. I have not seen the Wendy’s security footage, though. Not sure it’s been released yet.
                            Last edited by AlabamAlum; June 14, 2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Well there you go if there’s video of the whole thing including him pointing the taser at the cops and he previously failed a sobriety test then this is pretty case closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                                Well there you go if there’s video of the whole thing including him pointing the taser at the cops and he previously failed a sobriety test then this is pretty case closed.
                                Agreed, but the cop is fired. The rumor is that the ATL police chief looked at the evidence and would not sign off on the firing so the mayor asked for the police chief’s resignation. Crazy times are crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X